PDA

View Full Version : Very mild ghosting in vision

Ghostly
23-12-19, 14:44
Hi,

I'm 50 odd. For the past 10 years or so my reading vision has been getting worse. Since 2 years ago I'm experiencing difficulty in reading books. Went to the opticians a year ago (between xmas and new year) and had eyes tested. Now I have reading glasses. But my close up vision is still getting worse. 6 months ago I could still read my kindle without glasses, but now in the past few weeks my unaided vision when reading gets all bleary after a while. Also I get slight ghosting with vision in right eye.

Also, in the past month or so, I sometimes am having difficulty distinguishing the comma from the full stop on my keyboard (again not wearing any specs). The symbols are white text against a black background. Getting slight ghosting when looking at the full stop. It's there in my left eye as well as my right, but even milder.

Was diagnosed with astigmatism a year ago in one of my eyes (or both). But I haven't experienced difficulty in distinguishing a comma from full stop before on keyboard. But my unaided reading sight is getting worse all the time!

Ghosting disappears with squinting. Not generally there on putting on reading glasses, although might have noticed a very slight ghosting with glasses on the other day.

Do people think I should go to the opticians again?

lofwyr
23-12-19, 17:29
You just described a condition only some of us get lucky enough to endure. It is called "getting old."

Fact of life, as we age, our eyes just get worse. Even if they were the best eyes in the world when you were young, they rarely last. Mine have taken a large downturn in the last couple years (just turned 49). If you were 23 or something, it would be mark for concern, but at our age, it's just the way things are.

Ghostly
23-12-19, 18:49
Yes, I'm guessing it's part and parcel of the deterioration of my close up vision esp since it's kinda difficult to distinguish from bleary or blurred vision.

Actually, when I was in my mid-teens my long distant vision deteriorated and I got ghosting. I never worried at the time though!