PDA

View Full Version : Drank possibly contaminated fountain soda, abdominal cramps & diarrhea, what to do?

BrightPhoenix
25-12-19, 16:10
So on Friday I had a colonoscopy done, ironically due to a change in stool consistency and diarrhea that I've been dealing with since last month. Colonoscopy was mostly clear. Found a tiny, tiny TINY polyp, but that's all. Was extremely hungry on Friday, got a big Pizza Hut dinner for delivery because I was not allowed to drive. The week of the colonoscopy the diarrhea/gurgling stomach feeling actually subsided.

I was fine for Saturday and Sunday, then Monday I ate some 3-day old Chicken Alfredo Pasta from Pizza Hut that I had sealed and wrapped in the fridge. Then I grabbed a Mountain Dew from a Taco Bell before work. This was in the span of 30 minutes. Right after all this, I immediately started to get a sour stomach.

When I got to work, after drinking about maybe 4 oz of the drink and also using the bathroom in the middle of all this due to a sour stomach, I noticed some weird black stuff near the bottom of the cup.

https://i.imgur.com/kpGTztI.jpg

Apparently this is gunk/crud leftover if a restaurant establishment fails to clean their fountain soda machine, and apparently some of it may be mold. Obviously I googled it because my stomach was hurting at that time, and of course some scary stuff came up. I'm wondering if it was the mold from this fountain drink (that this drive-thru may have served up to OTHER CUSTOMERS TOO) or if it was due to something happening to the old chicken alfredo (despite me leaving it refrigerated). I just wish I wasn't spending Christmas Day with whatever this is I have.

Been like this for three days in a row and I've been spending the past few days visiting the throne. I don't know at what point I should go to the doctor but my health anxiety is starting to flare up again. Thinking about the billion different things it could be. I'd be fine if it cleared up after a day or two but this is two days after I started having this issue on Monday and I'm wondering what I should do. The cramping is the part that is driving me nuts - I'd be fine for an hour then the cramps just makes me double over for a good 10-15 seconds, then I'd be fine for another hour.

Any help would be appreciated.

NancyW
25-12-19, 16:46
Obviously I googled it

This is where you lost me.

Sparky16
26-12-19, 14:00
Oh, yuck. Yeah, that kind of dirt may have come from a soda fountain or ice machine that isn't cleaned often enough. However, I don't think a little bit of it would make you sick for days. Or possibly even sick at all - we had a water dispenser/ice maker combo on our fridge at work that had mold, and I couldn't get it clean because it wasn't meant to be taken apart. Didn't stop my coworkers from using it anyway, and they were all fine! I'm wondering more about your three day old leftovers. What are you eating now? You may need to use the BRAT diet and give your stomach some time to settle down.