PDA

View Full Version : Ski holiday fear

Munki
28-12-19, 17:03
Hi!

I’m off skiing after 2 years off and the health anxiety is starting to kick in. I always worry I’ll cause a major injury or die! I always think back to the actress that banged her head in the snow and died an hour later 😥

Probably not helped by being an only child and my Mum has a fear of loss. She worries about me terribly. As a result, I’ve developed a health anxiety in my 40’s!

I am looking forward to my holiday as hubby and I have an amazing time. But then, as soon as I see the Sky News ski and avalanche deaths that are always inevitable, I worry it’ll happen to me! I’m not very good and always stay on piste.

I worry for my Mum more than myself though!

Any idea how to normalise this?

Sparky16
29-12-19, 03:32
Do you wear a helmet?

Munki
29-12-19, 09:21
Gosh, yes!! I’m a novice so I’m all kitted up safely 👍

Munki
29-12-19, 15:08
How do you guys deal with fear?

Fight or flight?

Do you let fear stop you from doing anything or do you fight through?

Sparky16
29-12-19, 15:27
Awesome. Skiing seems to be a bit like horseback riding, where it's important to wear a helmet and stay within your skill level, in other words don't try to do things you aren't ready for. Honestly, all the people I've known who got hurt skiing (and I know one of those crazy freestylers who do backflips and stuff like that) just ended up with sprains. Not exactly fun, but not super serious, either. Use common sense, and you will be fine!

nomorepanic
29-12-19, 15:44
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Munki
29-12-19, 17:19
Awesome. Skiing seems to be a bit like horseback riding, where it's important to wear a helmet and stay within your skill level, in other words don't try to do things you aren't ready for. Honestly, all the people I've known who got hurt skiing (and I know one of those crazy freestylers who do backflips and stuff like that) just ended up with sprains. Not exactly fun, but not super serious, either. Use common sense, and you will be fine!

Thanks Sparky! Yes you’re absolutely right. I’m actually snowboarding but it’s the same principal.

Sometimes that fear just pops in and drowns me. Appreciate it!

ankietyjoe
29-12-19, 20:16
If you're a complete novice you won't be going anywhere near a slope that could injure you badly.

Worst case scenario is bruised ass.

Get out there and enjoy it.

Munki
29-12-19, 20:58
Not a complete novice. I’ve been out twice before, it’s just been a while. I can get down a mountain :)

I stick to blue and green 💪🏼

ankietyjoe
29-12-19, 21:04
Well I've been twice, so still a novice!

Anyhow, you're catastrophising a mental worst case scenario based on sensationalised tiny fractional percentage headlines. Imagination isn't reality.

Lauz
30-12-19, 11:01
I am a seasoned skier, been doing it now for over 30 years (I am 34 :)).
All I can say is enjoy it!!! Enjoy the air and the gorgeous surroundings and enjoy your time out there! Pop your helmet on and stick to the slopes that you are capable of. Perhaps jump in a class the first day when you get there to help with the nerves.

Funny story, in labour when having My daughter to calm down my contractions I imagined myself skiiing, the feeling was so freeing! Haha that’s how much I love the slopes!