PDA

View Full Version : Ear muffled and feels 'full'

fishman65
30-12-19, 19:59
OK this may be on the wrong board, maybe health anxiety? Anyway I'm sure most of you have had this scenario at some point. The symptoms are similar to an earwax problem I had in 2016. The only difference is the nurse saw my ears on the 22nd of this month and said they were clear of wax. So of course I've gone down a huge great rabbit hole straight from Watership Down.

This time its just the one ear. It feels muffled and yet loud noises startle me.And the more sound the more of a jumbled din it is. Oh and the cold hurts it, yesterday after my walk it was quite painful. I've read all about the possibilities and obviously anxiety predicts the worst of them. I did think of something though that I'd forgotten about. Around 10 years ago I was diagnosed with perennial rhinitis. I still have nasal polyps though they are dormant but I can still feel something there. Anyway apparently ear problems can be a complication of rhinitis and about a year ago I stopped taking loratadine when new guidelines came out about not wasting GP's time by prescribing drugs that can be bought easily. They were taken off my repeat list.

So to cut a long story short, I've booked an appt with the GP for Thursday afternoon. The anxiety though has taken off big time, how foolish to believe life might become easier?

Darksky
30-12-19, 22:24
Do you think it might be a bit of age related hearing problems? I have one ear that is more muffled than the other. Yet loud noises still get through and if the pitch is right, actually feel like they hurt and sometimes things sound echoey.

I went with tinnitus about a year back, Dr. said it was wax so I had them syringed. All ok but I ve still got the ringing.:doh: Im sure the Dr. can shed some light on what the problem is but in the meantime stop digging yourself further into the rabbit hole. It's a very weird place, just ask Alice.

fishman65
30-12-19, 23:59
Hi Darksky. It could well be age related, though at this time of night with everything quiet other than the TV it feels like nothing is wrong. There's certainly no hearing loss because I've done half a dozen online hearing tests, they all came back as within normal range. I'm sorry you have tinnitus, ears are no laughing matter are they.

LouiseAndy
31-12-19, 17:18
Hi Fishman,

I've had a issue like this on/off for years for me personally it was from a few different reasons, one was from having sinus issues and it lead to my ear being clogged up. Another was my ear-drum had gotten inflamed-- or another time I got a door to the side of the head (don't ask lol) it cause light bruising to my inner ear. All I'm trying to say is I've felt the very way you have without the cause being ear-wax. I could writse those words myself about feeling that way! Sorry I don't have more to say- just wanted you to know I've had loads of reasons as to why I felt that way!

Hope the doctor can give you more info x Plus Wishing you a happy new year!

fishman65
31-12-19, 19:51
Thank you Louise, that is very reassuring and very kind of you to reply. My sister and BIL visited with my Dad this afternoon. I enjoyed their company but it sounded like we were sitting in the Albert Hall :wacko:

May I too wish you a very happy and peaceful new year!!

LouiseAndy
02-01-20, 01:32
Oh- You remind me of a time when I was playing cards with some of my family and I was having the ear issue- It was like everyone was shotuing and I ot annoyed very quickly lol! They all thought I was being a bad loser.

Please let us know how the appointment goes!

Darksky
02-01-20, 13:52
Good luck this afternoon Fish, hope it gets resolved for you. Let us know....

fishman65
02-01-20, 19:06
Hi to both of you and thank you for your concern :hugs: The GP has prescribed a steroid nasal spray and to go back in three weeks if there's no improvement. He talked about the eustachian tube connecting nose and ears, how it can become congested. My ear canals are clear and no sign of inflammation around the ear drums. He mentioned about it coming on relatively suddenly, so would this point to congestion rather than hearing loss?

I nipped into Asda just beforehand and it was quite busy. My hearing was awful though, every sound was one huge din!! We take our bodies for granted don't we. I just hope this spray works.

Mrsmitchell1984
02-01-20, 19:21
It sounds like hyperacusis to me- I used to have this-and it is much better now. It’s like someone has pressed the reset button and your ears have to get used to toning down sound again. It definitely does get better with time if that is what it is x

fishman65
02-01-20, 22:27
Thank you Mrsmitchell, I don't know whether that's good or bad? Whichever, it certainly gives anxiety a leg up. I've not felt quite this vulnerable for some time.

The GP did say something about using steam.

Mrsmitchell1984
03-01-20, 07:34
I had it and recovered from it quite quickly. It’s just letting your brain hear the sounds and not shrinking or trying to cover your ears from it and in time - you brain will adjust to sounds correctly again. I am no doctor though- discuss with your Gp. It will ramp up anxiety naturally as every sound will suddenly be like an alarm bell to your brain- but just tell your brain it’s ok and it will stop reacting to it.

i have tinnitus - permanent and constantly there. At first it sounded so loud and ramped up my anxiety - but after a while my brain got used to it and filters it out as irrelevant noise so I have to try to listen to it now x

Mrsmitchell1984
03-01-20, 08:07
Oh I forgot to say- it’s not usually anything wrong - it’s just like the reset button has been pressed in the brain. You jave had a thorough ear exam and everything looks good- so it’s just a nuisance really x

pulisa
03-01-20, 08:30
To me it sounds like simple congestion, Fishman. Try the steam approach and try not to focus too much on your hearing/perception of noise because it will just make things worse together with the anxiety. Your ears are healthy which is the main thing.

fishman65
05-01-20, 15:51
Thank you guys. You're right about not focusing on my hearing too much pulisa. As anxiety sufferers we tend to do that don't we and I'm sure it gets worse the more anxious I am.

Tomorrow is the first 'social anxiety group' meeting at 9 15am. Driving to Asda and having the option of a robot till is one thing, sitting in a room with half a dozen strangers for 2 hours quite another. And for 12 weeks. This is a big big test...

Mrsmitchell1984
05-01-20, 17:39
Good luck FM- let us know how it goes. We are all rooting for you.

It’s a crazy idea to have group therapy for social anxiety- talk about drop you in the deep end-
but you can do it x

pulisa
05-01-20, 21:11
No doubt it is an NHS cost-cutting "job lot" therapy option....? I suppose all of you will be in the same rocky boat but if you can get through the first few minutes then it will get better and if it doesn't you can always make your excuses and go and try again next week? I'm sure the therapist will be used to putting people at their ease..well,as much as is possible in this situation.

Good luck, Fishman-I hope it isn't the ordeal you fear.

Darksky
05-01-20, 21:22
It will be a big test for sure but remember every person in that room (well apart from the therapist one would hope ) will be feeling exactly the same as you. Everyone will be sitting on their hands fighting the urge to run out of the door. There will be people taking huge deep breaths, people fiddling with tissues, staring wide eyed at each other. You may find over the weeks, you become a source of comfort and inspiration for each other.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

fishman65
05-01-20, 21:44
Thank you all for your support, it means a lot. I was thinking earlier what if I'm the only patient to turn up?? :yesyes: They might cancel the whole thing. Strangely enough its at a clinic which is a stone's throw from where I had my first ever panic attack aged 20, the first of a long and distinguished anxiety career.

It's quite ironic that this 'therapy' is already setting me back :lac: In fact talking about this clinic, its where I saw the dentist as a child. The lady dentist always lied by saying this won't hurt. Or 'that's a nice jumper you're wearing today'. She used gas once, awful experience.

Mrsmitchell1984
06-01-20, 08:01
Thinking of you - good luck x

fishman65
06-01-20, 19:20
Well I made it :shades: There were two therapists and seven users including me. And I was clearly the eldest user, most of them were my daughter's age. The therapists talked about social anxiety and shyness. While acknowledging the two originate from the same source, they are entirely different IMO. But then I'm not the expert. We have some homework to do for next week.

So that's that done. Now the anxiety can focus back on my ears again until next Monday.

pulisa
06-01-20, 19:28
Well I made it :shades: There were two therapists and seven users including me. And I was clearly the eldest user, most of them were my daughter's age. The therapists talked about social anxiety and shyness. While acknowledging the two originate from the same source, they are entirely different IMO. But then I'm not the expert. We have some homework to do for next week.

So that's that done. Now the anxiety can focus back on my ears again until next Monday.

It's great that you managed to go and got through the first session but.......why decide what your anxiety will do next? You do have a choice and it isn't a self-fulfilling prophecy. Was your hearing compromised during this morning's session or was your anxiety firmly focused on getting through the session?

fishman65
06-01-20, 19:46
Hi pulisa. The hearing was fine up until about two thirds of the way through, then I got that pressure feeling again. It's usually worse around the middle of the day it seems.

pulisa
06-01-20, 19:52
Have you tried the steam treatment or do you think that is a waste of time? Do you think you have an acoustic neuroma?

fishman65
06-01-20, 22:15
I have tried the steam with menthol in a grease form, it seems to help a little but is short-lived. I had ruled out an acoustic neuroma on account of their rarity, something like 1 case per 100,000 people. I appreciate my constant search for reassurance can be tiresome.

LouiseAndy
06-01-20, 22:41
Hi Fishman, sorry to hear your issues are still on going- I've had to deal with it for nearly two months before. It was awful, it's very off putting and it's hard. This is going to be a strange suggestion but something that helped me was having a hot water bottle, I'd put a tea-towel over the bottle before placing my head on it. The heat seemed to help me abit!

fishman65
07-01-20, 15:26
Thank you for that suggestion LouiseAndy that's very kind of you. We have a spare hot water bottle somewhere. I bought some menthol crystals this morning as opposed to grease. The grease version is a bit messier. Though I'm finding any relief from the menthol is short lived.

Darksky
07-01-20, 17:16
Is the the spray the doctor prescribed doing anything yet Fish? It's been a few days so I wondered if it had kicked in yet?

fishman65
07-01-20, 21:47
Hi Darksky, its difficult to say really. Its the Beconase variety, that seems to be the default for steroid sprays? He did say to go back in 3 weeks so its been 5 days.

Darksky
19-01-20, 20:06
How's your ear now Fish? Any better?

fishman65
20-01-20, 18:48
Hi Darksky, a little better thank you, though still have that plugged feeling usually in a noisier environment.

That however is the least of my worries as our therapist at the group meetings revealed we will each be doing a short presentation come week 12. It may only be short but even so, this is nightmare territory. It strikes at the very core of my fears, the intention doubtless.

So returned home on autopilot whereby Mrs F took queer for me being late. This prompted a monumental row.

Darksky
21-01-20, 17:40
As always the worst thing about the presentation will be the anticipatory anxiety leading up to it. I imagine all the people there will be bricking it. I agree the intention is to push you a little ( or a lot) out of your comfort zone. What have you got to talk about? What's the subject matter?

You know, you WILL do this whatever. I can guarantee you won't enjoy it but you will get through it. You will feel relief it's over but hopefully a little pride that you successfully confronted your fears.

Write out what what you are going to say, go over it until you are word perfect, so that if nerves strike, it will spill from your mouth like reciting your times tables. Practise in front of a mirror. Take a deep breath between sentences, pause and continue. Rushing and gabbling will heighten your anxiety. Slow yourself down into slow motion, we do things too quickly anyway. My movements are too quick, it was pointed out to me by a physio.

Is the course in general doing any good?

fishman65
22-01-20, 18:54
Hi Darksky, thank you. You clearly have more belief in me than I do. What I'm going to do is leave myself the option of ducking out. It is having a knock-on effect that is impacting on 'necessary' events like taking my Dad for his eye injection this Friday. My brother makes himself unavailable by telling my Dad 'call me if you need anything'. Which immediately makes my Dad feel he's being a nuisance. And my brother is now retired and lives 4 miles closer.

If I do the presentation, and its a big if right now, I thought about using our two dogs as the subject matter.

pulisa
22-01-20, 20:47
The presentation is a long way off though. Can you try to put it to the back of your mind until later and deal with the more pressing problems such as Friday's hosp trip? One step at a time and all that guff?