PDA

View Full Version : Acanthamoeba Keratitis

Slsheeba567
01-01-20, 04:23
So yesterday night I decided to take a bath, and before getting in I put in my contacts, because I hate the way my glasses fog up. Now I am at home, and only have one pair that I’ve been keeping in my case for about way too long now (my contacts expire every 2 weeks), the rest of my fresh pairs are at my dorm. About 5 seconds of putting the contacts in my eyes, I realized how old they were, and promptly took them out, and threw them away along with my old case. I decided to google whether or not you could get an eye infection from old contacts, and stumbled upon something far more sinister, as one does when googling. This rare, but serious eye infection called acanthamoeba keratitis, which is very hard to treat, and can cause irreversible blindness, usually caused by old contacts, or contacts that come in contact with water that has this amoeba in it. I’ve been freaking out the last day or so, and this morning I woke up with my eyes hurting, and my head aching. I have no idea if these symptoms are psychosomatic or not, but they’re symptoms of the infection, and it’s freaking me out. Basically this whole thing has taught me, infection or not, I need to start taking better care of my contacts, as I haven’t been the most hygienic with them, and I plan to change that. I’m just hoping and praying I’m not one of the rare cases that get the infection, and if I do, they catch it in time and I don’t go blind. That’s one of my biggest fears. I’ve also left my birth control packets at my dorm, so this past week or so my body has been coming off of that, and I’m keeping it in consideration for the headaches and weird symptoms as well.

Careful1
01-01-20, 07:21
And this is why one shouldn’t Google for medical advice etc

Slsheeba567
01-01-20, 19:19
I’m seriously freaked out about this, going blind scares me more than anything.

nomorepanic
01-01-20, 20:13
If you don't have any issues by now then you won't have.

Slsheeba567
01-01-20, 20:25
Just a little eye pain and headache, but it’s the same level of pain as yesterday

Careful1
02-01-20, 04:47
I did a quick google search on this condition since I had never heard of it and from what I read it’s rare and you only mention having one of the symptoms that I found on the list of symptoms. You are fine. Don’t waste precious time from your life worrying about a condition that you do not have.

NancyW
02-01-20, 04:54
I’m seriously freaked out about this, going blind scares me more than anything.

And this is why one shouldn’t Google for medical advice etc

Amen!! Anyone else care to freak themselves out???