PDA

View Full Version : Chesty cough for 4 weeks

ems1981
01-01-20, 09:11
I started getting sick 4 weeks ago. Started off a dry tickly cough and then a week later got really chesty and I'm bringing up yellow/green phlegm. I've been put on antibiotics for a second time as the first lot didn't help. I'm half way through the 2nd dose but the cough is still really chesty and doesn't seem to be getting any better. I'm so scared it's lung cancer. Why isn't the antibiotics working?

ankietyjoe
01-01-20, 10:07
The antibiotics are working. A cough is caused by irritation, not infection. A bad cough can last a lot longer than 4 weeks, even after the infection is gone.

It's nothing to worry about. I've had coughs last nearly 6 months.

StephA
01-01-20, 15:11
You probably don’t have a bacterial infection which is why the antibiotics aren’t helping. Most respiratory infections are viral and don’t require antibiotics. They’re way overprescribed and can cause more problems when they aren’t needed. Sounds like you just have a chest cold/bronchitis and it can take several weeks to completely clear. I get it every year (currently getting over it now), and have the same symptoms you describe. Plenty of rest and fluids are what you need. OTC cough medicines can help ease symptoms but technically there’s no “cure” for colds.

ErinKC
02-01-20, 02:08
What Steph said. I also think cough just compound on themselves. I had a cough for weeks as well and then I think all the coughing gave me reflux, which made me cough more. Just try to drink lots of tea with honey, suck on cough drops, and stay hydrated to try and stop the cough as much as you can to reduce the irritation in your lungs.

glassgirlw
03-01-20, 03:23
Run a humidifier at night if you have one. I think they really do help. Drink loads of fluids too. Helps keep the mucus thinned out so you can get it out.