PDA

View Full Version : obsessed with my bp and pulsw

sammie
30-09-07, 15:38
hi everyone

has anybody got like this i am constantly checking bp and pulse and of course its always going up and down help can anyone tell me how to stop doing this

sammie

miss motown
30-09-07, 15:58
OH SAMMIE I WISH I COULD TELL YOU HOW TO STOP HUN BUT ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT IN TIME YOUR MIND WILL BE DISTRACTED TO SOMETHINK ELSE AND THIS CHECKING PULSE AND BLOOD PRESSURE WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST.I USED TO DO THIS CONSTANTLY FOR YEARS AND ITS SO FUNNY NOW WHEN IVE JUST READ YOUR POST IT BROUGHT BACK THE MEMORY WHEN I MYSELF USED TO DO THE SAME IT WILL PAST HUN BELIVE ME :flowers:

mat74
30-09-07, 16:02
I know how you feel sammie. The last few weeks I have been checking my heart beating every hour or so. Just come back from a walk to get some exercise and checked it again but then reassured myself it would be a bit faster as I had been walking fast. As for BP, had mine checked the other day and it was 122/90 - slightly high but not serious, just need to cut down the fags and salt intake and generally watch my diet more!

The key is telling yourself there is NOTHING WRONG. Dont get me wrong, I know how you feel, I have been there and still am but you have to try and get on with it and ignoring the compulsive thoughts to check all the time.

Most of it is psychological, I have realised that. When in with the nurse or my GP I feel reassured as they tell me I am not actually ill, I am not about to die, I am not going to collapse etc ...

Try and take your mind of checking all the time, but, to reassure YOURSELF you could always go to your GP and ask for an ECG and BP test ... I bet you all will be tip top fine, honestly!

Take care, Mat x

honeybee3939
30-09-07, 16:02
Hi Sammie

I purchased a BP monitor, and i like you was constantly taking readings, they where up and down too. I decided to take the batteries out and not use it again as i was becoming addicted to it!:ohmy:
Im just going to stick to having it done at the GP surgery now.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Wilburis
30-09-07, 16:10
Hi

Just to let you know - I went through this, constantly taking my pulse in my wrist and neck and I even boughta BP monitor.

Well, it was just a passing phase, I have stopped and dont even think about taking my pulse anymore.

Im sure, in time, you will stop too.

Take care - Liz xx

Jaco45er
30-09-07, 17:10
My BP monitor was more like a fashion accessory I wore it that much.

Eventually I came to terms with it, but still have a check a couple of times a week.

I don't even give it much thought now, so like Liz says it's probably just a phase.

TC

Jaco

P.S. do not take a reading during a panic attack, seeing 187/100 does nothing to help you calm down ;)

mat74
30-09-07, 17:41
I agree, seeing a raised BP (and I mean REALLY RAISED) does not help and it is just a passing phase but knowing what it is makes you feel worse. WhenI was taken to hospital (still concious/aware/literate) but feeling like cr*p 7 weeks ago (first and hopefully last MAJOR PA) I had my ECG (all clear) but my BP was 178/108 (I think) ... managed to calm down a little while there and got it to around 140/92 before I left.

Remember, and this is important, BP goes up and down all day and if stressed (like me now) it will be a bit higher 0 this is not illness but a reaction to how you feel at the moment. Example is my BP was 122/90 a few days ago after visit to GP (monthly check).

My BP pre PA's was always excellent, around 110/82ish but the last couple of months I have been feeling ill/ stressed etc so it is bound to raise.

Try, and I know it is hard, to remain calm and take your mind off of it

Mat x

Wilburis
30-09-07, 22:22
Just remembered something amusing about taking my BP all the time.

I bought a BP monitor from Lloyds Chemist, it was £9.99, you have probably seen the one I mean.

Well, one day, I was constantly taking my BP - so I put the cuff around my arm, pressed the button to inflate it and would you believe it - I had not put the cuff on correctly and had a large bit of skin trapped between the gap in the cuff (where it folds back on itself and velcros).

My god, the pain, I couldnt stop the cuff from inflating and the pain was excruiating. When the cuff deflated of its own accord, and I finally got my poor skin released from its grip, I ended up with an inch long bruise for about a week.

Somehow, I believe this was a sign to leave taking pulses and BP to the professionals!!!

nomorepanic
30-09-07, 23:23
Don't do it all the time - there is no point

I have a monitor at home but for a reason as I am on medication for high blood pressure so need to monitor mine occasionally but I am NOT obsessed about it.

Mine was high for well over a year before being put on meds so that shows that it isn't that urgent to treat.

If you are worried then reduce salt, fat and such things are alcohol and fags - they will all help reduce it.

Ma Larkin
01-10-07, 12:50
I have had high blood pressure for nearly 2 years now. I went to my GP last Monday for some blood test results and he announced that I have an underactive thyroid and high cholesterol. I am booked in at the hospital for an ECG this afternoon for a CHD assesment (coronary heart disease). I've been given levothyroxine for the thyroid and I am also taking clomipramine and diazepam. I know in myself that my blood pressure is still high and I always used to check my pulse, but after suffering with anxiety/PA's for a couple of years now, I only tend to check my pulse now when I have a really anxious moment/PA.

Take the advice of others and cut down on salt, and fags and alcohol if you use them. I love salt but will definitely be cutting it out now. Wish I could say the same for the fags and alcohol!! I will try though.

Les

Frankie23
01-10-07, 16:58
I check my pulse constantly even times i dont realise that im doing it :-(

decker6869
03-10-07, 03:33
ya i am real bad with the pulse checking and stuff. I used to check my BP at least 2-3 times a day but my doctor told me to stop obsessing over it and i finally stopped that bit. I am finding it difficult to stop the pulse checking though, especially on bad days..oh the bad days i just go stupid. Anyhow i hope you get to doing better, i hope we all get to doing better.