PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out about flying

katyfitz
02-01-20, 16:24
Hi everyone,
Some or all of you may be aware that im struggling with pains in my knee at the moment. I can feel my that sometimes my trouser leg is tighter on the sore leg. Every time I go up the stairs it clicks, when I don’t go up or down stairs it’s fine but when I do, it’s sore.

So anyway tomorrow I’m heading on holiday for a few days and need to fly. I’m convinced that what’s wrong with me is a blood clot and that when i’m in the air, something terrible will happen. I’ve been for a scan which showed a bakers cyst and a lot of fluid on knee. I’ve got myself in a stupid state and not looking forward to going away at all. I wanted to start 2020 positively but it’s too hard for me.

ankietyjoe
02-01-20, 16:29
So you've had a scan showing exactly what it is, but you want to believe it's something else?

Seems a bit silly, no?

Being positive can be hard, and that's why we need to try harder to achieve it.

ErinKC
02-01-20, 16:29
It sounds like you have a solid diagnosis for the knee problem. Also, it's not flying specifically that causes blood clots, it's sitting in a small cramped space for a long time. So, just get up and walk back and forth a few times during the flight and it's no different than sitting on your couch and getting up and down to get a drink, go to the bathroom, etc... you'll be fine.

Carys
02-01-20, 16:34
Yep, as others said - you have a diagnosis why on earth think that its something else ? (especially when you don't have the symptoms for DVT). I am a very very awful flier and have started a couple of threads on here about that very subject, but I have improved this year and managed two flying trips abroad (with some sound advice on this forum too). I do understand that just knowing you are flying can trigger some odd thoughts and fears, some of them very irrational based on the feeling of 'threat' from the experience. However, as Erin said above, its not flying that is the issue, its immobility - walk around, exercise your legs now and again and things will be just fine.