PDA

View Full Version : World War 3

Toby2000
03-01-20, 08:56
So Trump ordered strikes on Iran which killed one of their Generals.

Everyone on Twitter is saying that this is the beginning of WWIII which I know is an exaggeration but I'm really quite scared now

Is anyone able to provide any reassurance?:ohmy:

Phoenixess
03-01-20, 09:02

Everyone on Twitter is saying that this is the beginning of WWIII which I know is an exaggeration but I'm really quite scared now

I’m afraid I feel terror waking up to this news this morning I guess we just pray Boris has some sense to defend us as a country right. Not sure how safe we are without EU support think we can forget the allies of Europe. However we are with the front runners of the Big Boys now with USA and Russia. So [emoji2368] I expect Boris and Trump to be having talks but Iran attack the UK equal to US as we saw with the tanker attack.

However I’m not too sure how legal American drone strike was and so I presume the UN will step in first again I hope they will for sake of the Western world but the Iranians are batshit crazy my ex was Iranian I’ve never been with a psychopath before and whilst with him I learnt what a sociopath was!! And that extended to members of his family too! Not saying alll Iranians are like but with my experience yer I don’t feel much hope of this issue going away quietly.

Just think Sociopaths with Nukes! We are ****ed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toby2000
03-01-20, 09:12
I’m afraid I feel terror waking up to this news this morning I guess we just pray Boris has some sense to defend us as a country right. Not sure how safe we are without EU support think we can forget the allies of Europe. However we are with the front runners of the Big Boys now with USA and Russia. So [emoji2368] I expect Boris and Trump to be having talks but Iran attack the UK equal to US as we saw with the tanker attack.

However I’m not too sure how legal American drone strike was and so I presume the UN will step in first again I hope they will for sake of the Western world but the Iranians are batshit crazy my ex was Iranian I’ve never been with a psychopath before and whilst with him I learnt what a sociopath was!! And that extended to members of his family too! Not saying alll Iranians are like but with my experience yer I don’t feel much hope of this issue going away quietly.

:scared15:

Mrsmitchell1984
03-01-20, 09:45
I haven’t watched the news (it makes me anxious) so I don’t have a lot of info. All I can say is that the news exaggerates things. I remember how many people it predicted would die of swine flu in the UK-I think 100,000 was quoted. But it was nothing like that. I hate the way media plays on anxiety levels to sell papers, get viewers
etc x

Phoenixess
03-01-20, 09:56
I haven’t watched the news (it makes me anxious) so I don’t have a lot of info. All I can say is that the news exaggerates things. I remember how many people it predicted would die of swine flu in the UK-I think 100,000 was quoted. But it was nothing like that. I hate the way media plays on anxiety levels to sell papers, get viewers
etc x

America drone attacked Iran last night blowing a military general to smithereens...FACT

Mrsmitchell1984
03-01-20, 10:31
I’m not saying what happened isn’t true but what will happen next will probably be blown out of proportion.

it is very worrying - so it’s totally normal to feel how you are feeling - but by worrying about it - it will not change anything.

if the world is going to end tomorrow - we may as well enjoy today x

ankietyjoe
03-01-20, 10:44

What the HELL has Twitter got to do with reality? You might as well ask the opinion of people standing in the queue at Tesco.

And what reassurance do you expect here? How qualified do you think any of us are at predicting the possible outcome of imminent global destruction?!

Put your bloody phone down, go outside and look at some trees or something.

pulisa
03-01-20, 14:15
"World War 3" is apparently trending on ****ter so it's GOT to be true.....

I'm sure there will soon be more important things happening in Celeb-land which will kill interest in this "end of the world" fest.

FrankT
03-01-20, 14:22
Crumbs... I'd better start building a fallout shelter immediately!

Confusion
03-01-20, 14:24
I'm really scared. Please help me.

Fishmanpa
03-01-20, 14:32
Here we go again....:wacko: The positive side is that those worrying about imaginary illnesses have something to distract them for a little while ;)

If you look back, Clinton did the same thing when he was facing impeachment.

Positive thoughts

FrankT
03-01-20, 14:36
Well - for what it's worth, me mam sent me this:

Tweet from Hayes Brown was more eye-opening though, as he explained the more likely conclusion of the Baghdad attacks, saying:

tl;dr: this isn’t world war III!
It is, however, a thing that will:
– likely trigger more, not fewer, attacks on US personnel
– increase the tit-for-tat btwn US and Iran
– result in cyberattacks, attacks on oil lanes, etc
– push Iraq closer to Iran
– see blowback agains Israel

ankietyjoe
03-01-20, 14:51
Well - for what it's worth, me mam sent me this:

It's worth fvck all. They are words. Opinions. Imaginary imaginations of possibilities that may or may not happen.

FrankT
03-01-20, 15:09
I see! You believe that war is imminent then!

Fishmanpa
03-01-20, 15:12
I see! You believe that war is imminent then!

Name one time in human history where there wasn't conflict and war.

Positive thoughts

FrankT
03-01-20, 15:15
Name one time in human history where there wasn't conflict and war.

The time before the Great Depression!?

lanerbanana
03-01-20, 15:17
civil war was before the great depression
and countless other wars
granted they weren't worldwide, but they were still times of conflict

FrankT
03-01-20, 15:18
I mean the time between World War I and the Great Depression!

Fishmanpa
03-01-20, 15:20
I mean the time between World War I and the Great Depression!

Frank, your fears run deep on this subject so I'll just leave it at that :shrug:

Positive thoughts

venusbluejeans
03-01-20, 15:21
No point in worrying about things you can't personally change until it does or doesn't happen,,, why add to your anxiety?

https://youtu.be/xZbKHDPPrrc

FrankT
03-01-20, 15:23
Well, I'm more convinced than ever that Threads will become a reality. Both involved Iran, what with the Soviets hoping to convert it into a satellite state.

ankietyjoe
03-01-20, 15:52
Well, I'm more convinced than ever that Threads will become a reality. Both involved Iran, what with the Soviets hoping to convert it into a satellite state.

Make sure you leave us a big fat 'I told you so' in the event of the bomb dropping.

TaleOn11
03-01-20, 16:27
Great! This is one of many reasons why I feared the new decade. I hope things will be fine eventually. :(

Phoenixess
03-01-20, 16:47
I think we have got to sit this one out and see how iran retaliate and see BoJo jump in on the action for his ultimate five minutes of fame.... two blondes and a bomb jokes ......

FrankT
03-01-20, 17:20
I don't think he'll do anything. He wasn't informed about this beforehand.

edgeofpanic
03-01-20, 17:55
Put your bloody phone down, go outside and look at some trees or something.

I thought this was supposed to be a support forum? This isn't a very helpful response, especially since a lot of users that come on here do seek community reassurance.

BlueIris
03-01-20, 17:58
Support and reassurance aren't always the same thing, Edgeofpanic - unfortunately tea and sympathy only work up to a point.

edgeofpanic
03-01-20, 17:59
To the original poster and other folks who are worried on this thread please have a look at this older subject:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?216307-Nuclear-war-anxiety-Please-read

I hope you find some reassuarance the responses by other forum members on that thread, this kind of thing has happened in the past and it unfortunately stirs up a lot of deep seated anxiety for people.

FrankT
03-01-20, 18:02
And rightly so!

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-20, 22:55

The EU have little power when it comes to the military. They have power because of the members, basically us & France when it comes to Nuclear. I'm sure we will remain allies as long as we have similar goals. Why invade when you can sell to people? :yesyes:

Not sure what the UN will do other than talk? They don't seem to influence all the other wars going on around the world.

The US have been dropping bombs on people for a very long time. Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama, Trump. Not too long ago we were told Trump's bluster would start a nuclear war with North Korea, a country that was at the time launching tests over foreign soil. But North Korea listen to what China say. Iran will listen to what Russia say. Unless it's a religious war it will come back to the usual influences.

I suppose if Boris wants a war he will need to create himself a dodgy dossier. :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-20, 22:56
Support and reassurance aren't always the same thing, Edgeofpanic - unfortunately tea and sympathy only work up to a point.

I think the point is more you can say it without being irate (or sounding like it).

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-20, 23:01

Ever played many a video game where the bogeyman is one of the worlds unpopular regimes? Russia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea, whichever South American country the West aren't happy with right now, etc?

Look how convinced how Tomorrow's World was? So where is why hover car?

Of course as you posted earlier this means a higher alert status. Whether that means more to us on here than talking on TV is another matter. The big powers like to rattle their sabres to keep the smaller countries in check as we've seen in Syria for years. And we haven't even mentioned the many other events in history where it happened and still came to no major conflict.

ankietyjoe
04-01-20, 00:34
I thought this was supposed to be a support forum? This isn't a very helpful response, especially since a lot of users that come on here do seek community reassurance.

Actually the forum isn't to endlessly dish out reassurance. It's really about getting people to a place where they don't need to keep seeking reassurance because of disproportionate worry and anxiety.

The forum is called 'no more panic' not 'keep feeding panic'. For a reason.

Fishmanpa
04-01-20, 00:43
see BoJo jump in on the action for his ultimate five minutes of fame.... two blondes and a bomb jokes ......

"BoJo"... :roflmao: I have to laugh at that one. For the majority of Americans, the comparisons in our elected leaders are plentiful.

Positive thoughts

SnowyGreen
04-01-20, 05:30
'

AntsyVee
04-01-20, 06:19
Well the good news is, you all have options:
1) You can have WWIII.
2) You can die slowly by climate change.
3) You can burn up like Australia and Southern California.
4) Or you all can wait a few years until I take over the world.

Any of the options...you're all screwed :D

FrankT
04-01-20, 10:49
Numbers 2 and 4 would be a relief in comparison.

Fishmanpa
04-01-20, 11:13
We are currently in Armageddon here in Australia with our whole country burning, so what's one more little thing like WW3 in the whole scheme of things.

The scenes shown are truly "Armageddon" in scope Snowy. The loss of life, human, animal, insect and plant is absolutely devastating. Makes you wonder why others aren't concerned about drought, fire and other natural and more likely disasters as opposed to a display of egos and someone pushing a button.

Positive thoughts

pulisa
04-01-20, 13:47
The scenes shown are truly "Armageddon" in scope Snowy. The loss of life, human, animal, insect and plant is absolutely devastating. Makes you wonder why others aren't concerned about drought, fire and other natural and more likely disasters as opposed to a display of egos and someone pushing a button.

Positive thoughts

Absolutely. The dreadful fires are headline news here in the UK,quite rightly. Good to see Trump and co given less coverage.

AntsyVee
04-01-20, 18:47
Yeah, the fires are horrendous. I'd just like to say, on behalf of Californians, we feel for you, Australia. We went through this last year. Wishing you strength and hugs :hugs:

Sparky16
04-01-20, 19:25
I read some articles this morning (not from the Daily Mail) that basically said a world war isn't going to happen, or even an open war between the US and Iran. It's complicated, but apparently it's not in either parties interest to start an out and out war.

4) Or you all can wait a few years until I take over the world.

The bottom line is that we should all start currying favor with Vee while we can. :roflmao:

pulisa
04-01-20, 19:34
All hail Queen Vee...Be Very Afraid!:D

brucealmighty
04-01-20, 21:42
a new oil field of roughly 53 billion oil barrels was discovered in Iran last November, this would increase their national wealth by about a third.
You`d hope this had nothing at all to do with what`s currently going on but experience says that whenever oil and extremely large amounts of money are involved, a big country will tend to get closely involved with a smaller one.

I personally don`t see any form of world war 3 due, it would benefit no one. Chances are it will be sanctions, trade embargos etc, not anything resembling armageddon.

AntsyVee
04-01-20, 21:59
MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Just for this early show of support, Sparky and Agent P, you will be my first Imperial Officers.

ankietyjoe
05-01-20, 15:46
This is what the fear of war is about, period. When people are scared, they don't care that a disgusting, fat, maniacal egomaniac and his mates are destroying everything in the hunt for more profit, they just want to feel protected.

The war doesn't have to happen for the profits to be made, but if a few thousand brown people are killed in the process, no big deal right?

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1213689342272659456

Scass
05-01-20, 17:32
This is what the fear of war is about, period. When people are scared, they don't care that a disgusting, fat, maniacal egomaniac and his mates are destroying everything in the hunt for more profit, they just want to feel protected.

The war doesn't have to happen for the profits to be made, but if a few thousand brown people are killed in the process, no big deal right?

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1213689342272659456

He is disgusting.

FrankT
05-01-20, 18:11
Well... we can't say the new decade didn't start off with a bang, right?

ankietyjoe
05-01-20, 18:59
He is disgusting.

World War 3 will most likely be a global revolution against people like him. Capitalism is dangerous.

Phoenixess
05-01-20, 19:01
Anyone else seen Iran's bounty on Trumps head? Im not a fan but im searching for Boris like where wally on a global map!! Its at a crisis like this we need a leader.... heaven forbid if Trump tries to seek refuge in England forget leaving the EU we will all be leaving the planet!!

Iran Trump Crisis escalated!!!

FrankT
05-01-20, 19:08
I'm not surprised, he's had a bounty on his head for years.

World War 3 will most likely be a global revolution against people like him. Capitalism is dangerous.

So is communism, but we didn't start a world war over it, did we?

edgeofpanic
05-01-20, 20:34
Actually the forum isn't to endlessly dish out reassurance. It's really about getting people to a place where they don't need to keep seeking reassurance because of disproportionate worry and anxiety.

The forum is called 'no more panic' not 'keep feeding panic'. For a reason.

Is this your website and are you a forum admin? I wasn't aware that there were specific rules - why cant someone offer / ask for reassuarance?

I get you probably label yourself as a "realist" but fear of this kind of thing is crippling for some people. Your previous responses seem to be completely devoid of any empathy. Please try to put yourself in the shoes of others, if you cannot formulate your opinions in a manner that takes this into account, then please (for the sake of others who might be mentally tied up in knots with fear when this kind of stuff hits the media) - dont say anything.

ankietyjoe
05-01-20, 20:52
Is this your website and are you a forum admin? I wasn't aware that there were specific rules - why cant someone offer / ask for reassuarance?

I get you probably label yourself as a "realist" but fear of this kind of thing is crippling for some people. Your previous responses seem to be completely devoid of any empathy. Please try to put yourself in the shoes of others, if you cannot formulate your opinions in a manner that takes this into account, then please (for the sake of others who might be mentally tied up in knots with fear when this kind of stuff hits the media) - dont say anything.

I don't label myself as anything, and I also don't need to be a forum admin to know the site isn't about giving out constant reassurance. Reassurance seeking is a negative habit of anxiety, and I know that because I've been in those shoes you mentioned. I was in them for years.

If you're 'tied up in knots' over what you read in the media, stop reading it. You're in control of the initial action (reading) and the response (panicking).

I know that, because I took the shoes off and threw them in the bin. They were hurting me.

SnowyGreen
05-01-20, 22:52
'

SnowyGreen
05-01-20, 22:54
'

MyNameIsTerry
05-01-20, 23:10
Anyone else seen Iran's bounty on Trumps head? Im not a fan but im searching for Boris like where wally on a global map!! Its at a crisis like this we need a leader.... heaven forbid if Trump tries to seek refuge in England forget leaving the EU we will all be leaving the planet!!

Iran Trump Crisis escalated!!!

I think we have to remember our elected politicians come & go. Those who run our country are in the civil service, people who work there year after year and tell/advise a bunch of numpties who campaign for our votes how the real world works. If not, we would be in far greater trouble when you look at how thick so many politicians are.

I'm not old enough to remember Maggie but I remember the lot that came after. Major, Blair, Cameron, May, Boris. Where are the leaders? I wouldn't say any of them were much use. I think I'll put my faith in M and those that do it as a day job all their lives rather than some mouthpieces that just want to enrich themselves https://yoursmiles.org/psmile/military/p0238.gif (https://yoursmiles.org/p-military.php?page=2)

edgeofpanic
06-01-20, 10:14
If you're 'tied up in knots' over what you read in the media, stop reading it. You're in control of the initial action (reading) and the response (panicking).

That's like telling an alcoholic "just stop drinking". It might have worked for you, but again you're missing the point for example your response of "go outside and look at a tree" comes across as entirely unhelpful and harsh. when you're talking to someone with a condition like that you don't just tell them to "snap out of it mate".

Fishmanpa
06-01-20, 11:40
That's like telling an alcoholic "just stop drinking". It might have worked for you, but again you're missing the point for example your response of "go outside and look at a tree" comes across as entirely unhelpful and harsh. when you're talking to someone with a condition like that you don't just tell them to "snap out of it mate".

What may shed some insight is the post/thread history of the OP and others responding with similar fears who have been continually shooting themselves in the foot despite many years and literally hundreds of pages of reassurance and advice. There are other factors at play but that is a big one.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
06-01-20, 13:19

Just because you take it that way, doesn't mean it's intended that way. And in some cases, 'just snap out of it mate' is actually valid advice. The advice I give on here isn't even remotely limited to that methodology though and I also talk a lot about self mantra, practice, meditation, good diet and allowing yourself time to heal. But your focus on the one liners of mine you DON'T like actually says a lot more about you than me. It's describing the way you are looking at the world, cherry picking the worst of things and reacting to them. Perhaps think about that?

As Fish says though, if I see repeated self defeating behaviour, I might try another tactic. Take the advice or leave it, but it took me 10 years and hundreds of different tactics to get better, so please don't dismiss my advice as one dimensional nonsense just because it doesn't fit in with the way you feel today.

And for the record, I did once 'just snap out of it' and went for a walk despite feeling like hell. It was September 2016 and I walked about 100m, that's as far as I got. I took photo's of trees and an allotment. It was literally a life changing decision to go out and look at the trees that day as it was the mental switch I needed to really let the anxiety go. Two days before that I was too scared to take the bins out. Getting out of your (our) mental hell box and looking at a tree might actually work.

Phill2
07-01-20, 01:18
Thanks so much. In Australia we go through fires every year, but these ones are different, just the sheer scope of them, half a billion animals lost so far, and it's only just beginning.

It's horrific for sure but I really wish they'd stop showing burnt koalas on TV.
I know they're there but constantly seeing them really upsets me.
I spose I'm just over sensitive because I'm an animal lover.

AntsyVee
07-01-20, 01:51
It gets to me too, Phil. Last year when we had our fires that wiped out whole towns they kept showing horses :(

MyNameIsTerry
07-01-20, 03:48
I agree. It is horrific but there's a line between sensible responsible journalism and media for clicks. It would upset me seeing animals burnt. And I don't accept it's because it's so horrible we must see it, it's to get clicks because they wouldn't show dead humans for fear of complaints but animals are thought less of so they will happily snap them for some extra credit.

Just getting back to the original topic for a second, I logged off the internet for best part of the last couple of weeks. I didn't even know Trump had bombed anyone until logging back onto this site. That's just how important this news is to my life...I didn't even notice. :winks:

SnowyGreen
07-01-20, 03:54
'

TaleOn11
07-01-20, 16:35
Honestly with these war theories and the Australian fires happening, it seems my fears of this new year and decade are possibly coming true. I can't seem to calm myself now and I'm close to panicking. :( I know the new year has just started but now I'm worrying about it more.

Peterthegreatworrier
08-01-20, 02:46
The whole Iranian crisis at the moment is yet another slap to my mostly calm disposition at the moment. I'm trying to remind myself how worried I was about the North Korean buisness a few years ago and how in the end we weren't all anhilated, but it's really hard. I'm also trying to remind myself that even if an actual war breaks out between Iran and the US it is a very long leap between this and a 'third world war' and much longer of a one towards any prospect a nuclear war, but the possibility is getting to me :(

Pkstracy
08-01-20, 03:46
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/iran-retaliates-against-u-rocket-001738312.html. they already attacked. I think Trump called for the hit that killed the General to turn the attention away from himself and his impeachment.

MyNameIsTerry
08-01-20, 03:52
Iran will show some strength but whether that means more than it fizzling out soon is another matter.

To be honest, given the destruction of ISIS and their dispersement back into our countries where they can sleep for a bit and then start up terror campaigns, I would be more concerned about Iran helping them out to get at the US and Europe.

I just hope we stay out of all this as much as possible because if it comes down to terrorism it will us that suffer more than the US (in my opinion) with all the ex fighters roaming without the money to properly keep an eye on them.

But beware the media. All they care about is an increase in their profit margins.

Pkstracy
08-01-20, 04:23
I live near one of the possible targets if they choose to bomb us so am a bit worried , I live in San Diego CA.

MyNameIsTerry
08-01-20, 04:41
I live near one of the possible targets if they choose to bomb us so am a bit worried , I live in San Diego CA.

Luckily I live somewhere no one would bomb as a fair bit of it looks like it has been bombed already. But what it has had a problem with is harbouring people now imprisoned for planning terrorism in the UK, some of which would have been in my city. We have problems keeping track of these returning fighters and other supporters so I could see Iran applying some influence there. But then I could be one of the many people stabbed or bottled when just out enjoying a few drinks in a pub in any city so I think we have to remember regular crime is far more likely to hurt us yet we perhaps don't consider that as much as we do these stories of politicians making power plays?

It's not the first attack on a country though and if they weren't nuclear it would be seen as a war on someone else's shore I expect?

Everyone will be trying to get all parties around the table so I guess we have to see what happens.

Toby2000
08-01-20, 10:42
More replies than I expected on this thread. I'm basically dumb when it comes to these things usually so this is an informative (scary) read

Now Iran struck back, I wonder what will be done in retaliation leading up to the next World War:weep:

bingjam
08-01-20, 12:00
It's weird. Out of all the things that worry me, there being a ww3 isnt on the list.... how I see it is, especially with the nuclear weapons. No one is going to want to push that button first... once one presses another gets pressed and their country will be wiped out too, so they gain nothing

Darksky
08-01-20, 12:29
It's weird. Out of all the things that worry me, there being a ww3 isnt on the list.... how I see it is, especially with the nuclear weapons. No one is going to want to push that button first... once one presses another gets pressed and their country will be wiped out too, so they gain nothing

thats how I look at it Bingham. I was never worried about North Korea flexing its muscles. One wrong move by them nuke wise and the US could wipe out their entire country. Kim threatened CA but he never did anything. Then low and behold before you knew it Trump was in NK boasting about being the first president to do so.

The Jeremy Whine show on R2 is full of it. Feeding into anxious people's worrys. He really is the radio version of the Daily Fail. Meanwhile in Wilkos this morning people are laughing and getting on with their lives, just as it should be. Leave the tit for tat chest thumping and sabre rattling to the 'leaders'. I use that word sarcastically because they are all di@ks.

ankietyjoe
08-01-20, 16:09
Something to understand about modern war.

Since (I estimate) the Korean War, America learned just how much money there is in creating enough fear that the public accepts their government killing people that can't fight back effectively. Sure, you might lose a few "all American (insert your local hero's nationality here) hero's" along the way, but that's a price worth paying.

Every single conflict is now about money, period. And every single country on the planet is far too interdependent on one another to even think about all out war. China owns us, we own them, they own the other and we all own Africa. The people in charge of the nukes, are the ones also building factories where they say they'll direct the nukes to. Ain't gonna happen. But as long as you're scared, you're going to vote for the a55holes spending 2 trillion on guns instead of hospitals.

Pkstracy
08-01-20, 16:33
Hell, I can't wait for Trump to leave office. It seem they are after him, I read somewhere they have a bounty on his head now.

MyNameIsTerry
09-01-20, 03:44
thats how I look at it Bingham. I was never worried about North Korea flexing its muscles. One wrong move by them nuke wise and the US could wipe out their entire country. Kim threatened CA but he never did anything. Then low and behold before you knew it Trump was in NK boasting about being the first president to do so.

The Jeremy Whine show on R2 is full of it. Feeding into anxious people's worrys. He really is the radio version of the Daily Fail. Meanwhile in Wilkos this morning people are laughing and getting on with their lives, just as it should be. Leave the tit for tat chest thumping and sabre rattling to the 'leaders'. I use that word sarcastically because they are all di@ks.

Exactly. Outside of newspaper comments sections, online debating forums and anxiety sites no one gives a toss about this. It will be thought about briefly and quickly replaced by whatever else we are doing or watching on TV.

If they are meant to be scaring us into voting for them they are doing a bad job because the vast majority of us of view these power struggles as the norm. The media are always the real winners getting the clicks.

Iran have just had to show some strength otherwise they will look pathetic to their people who they have drummed up into the streets (but then how many are there because they may face reprisal if they are not?) so they blast off a few missiles.

To those worried they might want to talk to those of us who have lived through the previous conflicts. Can anyone else like me remember how the Iraq wars were viewed as a load of boring nonsense we wanted off our tellies? We were apparently involved in a war. Unless you had loved ones involved or lived closer to Iraq you were not affected other than the usual scaremongering over things not being on supermarket shelves.

Life goes on. It went on all through the IRA bombings and unless you actually lived in NI how much was different other than when a bombing occurred?

We actually lived through more then than now. The only difference now is we gave 24/7 news that is so bereft of actual news it is filled up with opinion.

And yes, they are all d1cks in politics whether left, right or down the centre.

Darksky
09-01-20, 13:12
I don't know how old you are Terry but I'm 62 so yes I do remember living through worse. I remember when the US and the USSR were threatening to nuke the planet into oblivion...was it in the early/mid 7Os? Also yes the IRA, my OH worked for the MoD at the time but even then life wasn't affected too much. I also remember like you Terry the Iraq wars.

its true, too much twitbook and all the various arms of social media whipping stuff up, 24 hour sky news ramming it down our throats. I'm actually glad that Harry and Megan have taken top place in the news today. Although I'm getting bored of that now:winks:

pulisa
09-01-20, 13:58
Can't we send them to Iran as Special Envoys? Without a protection squad. By economy class to save the planet of course.

MyNameIsTerry
09-01-20, 16:07
I don't know how old you are Terry but I'm 62 so yes I do remember living through worse. I remember when the US and the USSR were threatening to nuke the planet into oblivion...was it in the early/mid 7Os? Also yes the IRA, my OH worked for the MoD at the time but even then life wasn't affected too much. I also remember like you Terry the Iraq wars.

its true, too much twitbook and all the various arms of social media whipping stuff up, 24 hour sky news ramming it down our throats. I'm actually glad that Harry and Megan have taken top place in the news today. Although I'm getting bored of that now:winks:

I'm 44 so the Falklands and the Cold War are a little before my time. I wasn't old enough and it was the Gulf Wars when I was. IRA terrorism meant we had school evacuations due to bomb threats from idiot hoaxers and just plonkers leaving bags lying about. One of my early jobs meant I was working near to a big transformer so we were mindful of terrorism then and had to have evacuation plans.

A remote base gets bombed nowadays and we are all panicking. Back during the NI troubles we had the Tory Party Conference Bombing along with the bombings of innocent people. These, like current terrorism, are far more shocking. I can't imagine what living in NI would have been like although I did have mates who served over there.

Other than the terrorism we have now we are much safer in the UK. Imagine how bad the media would have been throughout the Cold War? That was a time that any CTer or TV speculator would have loved. The TV "experts" would be making millions out of continual appearances to yabber on about some "possibility" or "interpretation" of a speech.

Like I said before I find it interesting that terrorism and war spike anxiety yet where are the threads worrying about getting stabbed or run over? These are far more likely to happen to normal people than a SCUD landing on their head.

MyNameIsTerry
09-01-20, 16:08
Can't we send them to Iran as Special Envoys? Without a protection squad. By economy class to save the planet of course.

That would be nice. Isn't she in with the Clooney's so that may be a possibility? :yesyes: I'm not sure what Harry thinks but does that even matter...:winks: