PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned about these symptoms?

beq45
04-01-20, 00:45
I am 28 and have had symptoms like hiccups and burps every day for close to a year now with varying frequency. I feel like I used to hiccup more than others to begin with, but now it's every day. It often feels like I have a bubble inside of me and that I need to burp or hiccups (or both back-to-back) to relieve the bubble. I think that these symptoms are aggravated by things like carbonation, but it's hard to tell for sure. Sometimes I will go most of the day without burping or hiccuping, while other days are worse. Also, I tend to have a lot of gurgling noises coming from my stomach, especially after I hiccup and others sometimes notice. Occasionally, I feel like my throat is closing up and that I will be unable to swallow food or drink water, but I actually am able to. I also have definitely noticed some occasional heartburn, but it doesn't seem to happen often. I can remember a few times waking up in the middle of the night with burning in my chest. I am hesitant to take any heartburn medication because of the issues with some of the ingredients in them.

Is this something relatively harmless like GERD or indigestion? I've seen that frequent hiccups can be a sign of cancer, MS, Parkinson's, or stroke and it's alarming to me that I just started hiccuping one day.

ErinKC
04-01-20, 01:35
It sounds like you're perfectly describing reflux. I would do tums and try to change your diet to eat less acidy foods. Anxiety also makes reflux worse. I just got a bad round of it because I've been under a lot of stress. I had to cut out coffee and spicy foods, I've been drinking herbal tea with honey, not eating after 7pm, and taking Tums a few times a day to keep the acid down. Also, even when you get the urge, try not to clear your throat or cough because it makes it worse.

Hypomania
06-01-20, 04:37
This sounds like reflux, especially the burning chest sensation being worse at night.

My reflux is pretty bad all the time,and I have everything you describe, minus the hiccups.

ankietyjoe
06-01-20, 08:55
I've seen that frequent hiccups can be a sign of cancer, MS, Parkinson's, or stroke

Let me guess.....Google.