PDA

View Full Version : ALS - Muscle weakness fear

TK09
04-01-20, 21:47
Hello all,

Hope you are all OK and the year has started well for you all.

My question is aimed at the ALS infatuation/obsession/fear and muscle weakness.

I understand that ALS is about failure. Most initial symptoms are about failing. But can ALS ever strike a smaller/weaker muscle and therefore not be noticed? My question stems from a rather sore point to the left of my left shoulder blade. The pain is only ever felt when touched. For the last week I have been getting weird full aches in my left arm (same side as shoulder pain). Clearly this is connected. I was wondering, if a muscle on my back shoulder was being effected neurologically then maybe that is causing strain/inflammation on the muscles surrounding it hence the pain when touched?

I admit I have health anxiety. My GP didnt even do a physical on me when I saw her this week. She just flatly denied MND and said it's all to do with anxiety which in one way is amazing that she was so confident, but HEALTH ANXIETY DRAGON does not allow or accept that. Instead I am questioning why she didnt do a physical? Why didnt she ask me about my physical sensations? My subtle ache and weak feeling in my arm? She has signed me up to CBT so that's a huge positive.

But I am just not convinced unfortunately and selfishly as that sounds. My health anxiety obsession just wont let me be convinced that my pain in the shoulder is an indirect response to a dead muscle in my shoulder somewhere. I am fed up of waking up every morning to see if I can use my hands, gripping things, standing on my toes, squeezing my phone as hard as I can. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has done this.

Again, apologies for sounding so selfish :( I understand logic and fact, but accepting it is the issue.

Peace:bighug1:

Fishmanpa
04-01-20, 22:13
I assume you've read the sticky :shades: Nothing that can be said here that your doctor didn't already say :shrug:

Positive thoughts

TK09
04-01-20, 22:36
I assume you've read the sticky :shades: Nothing that can be said here that your doctor didn't already say :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Thankyou Fishmanpa. Yes you are correct in your assumption - sticky is saved/bookmarked and even screenshoted on my phone. I understand and you are right that not much more can be said that the doctor hasnt already. :shades: health anxiety is a b**ch!

ankietyjoe
04-01-20, 22:48
Leaping from shoulder/arm pain to ALS is ridiculous.

You need to bail out of this thread now and find a way to get a grip.

Health anxiety isn't a bitch, it's a self sustaining habit of focus. Only you can break that habit.

nomorepanic
04-01-20, 22:51
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

TK09
05-01-20, 14:51
Leaping from shoulder/arm pain to ALS is ridiculous.

You need to bail out of this thread now and find a way to get a grip.

Health anxiety isn't a bitch, it's a self sustaining habit of focus. Only you can break that habit.

Thankyou for your reply ankietyjoe. Yes leaping from shoulder pain to ALS does seem ridiculous to those looking from the outside and I agree that it is my mind putting 2+2 together and getting 100 and then justifying why it is 100.

The shoulder pain is one symptom and my arm feeling weak and dexterity on my hand feeling clumsy is in my mind a different symptom. I do understand the need to be rational and as you said "get a grip". Hopefully my CBT will begin soon and I can put this all behind me and not let is obsess and control my life, as generalised anxiety has been a self sustaining habit for a number of years now.

Peace

ankietyjoe
12-01-20, 09:21
Thankyou for your reply ankietyjoe. Yes leaping from shoulder pain to ALS does seem ridiculous to those looking from the outside and I agree that it is my mind putting 2+2 together and getting 100 and then justifying why it is 100.

The shoulder pain is one symptom and my arm feeling weak and dexterity on my hand feeling clumsy is in my mind a different symptom. I do understand the need to be rational and as you said "get a grip". Hopefully my CBT will begin soon and I can put this all behind me and not let is obsess and control my life, as generalised anxiety has been a self sustaining habit for a number of years now.

Peace

You need to label the leap as ridiculous internally too. I did used to have intense HA too, and the only real way to beat it is with self imposed habit changes. Including being a bit harder on yourself when it comes to the self nurtured catastrophising.

Yes it's easier for me to say it on the other (recovered) side of HA, but take comfort in the fact that I've been where you are, and I'm not there any more. Recovery is achievable.

darkside4k
12-01-20, 19:17
ALS is not marked by pain in general. ALS is not even really a muscle problem. It is a nerve disease that causes you to lose the ability to move your muscles.