PDA

View Full Version : Learning to trust doctor

Luffy
08-01-20, 11:41
So I'm going to the doctors to basically get everything that I'm worried about off of my chest. Lately my main worry has been my heart racing during anxiety attacks and constant palpitations that I've had for years. My main worry is that even after I've been that I won't believe what the Dr says and what more and more tests. This is a never ending spiral that I don't want to fall into. Can anyone please help ? Even if the Dr does the basic tests and tells me I'm ok I really want that to be the end of my paranoia over my heart health.

Limeslime
08-01-20, 13:57
Mayb suggest an ECG? I had one done in the GP office, it took 2 minutes and you cannot really argue with the results! Once that test had confirmed no heart abnormaties, I had to accept that my heart symptoms could only be anxiety related!

Luffy
08-01-20, 15:00
Ok. Thanks for your reply.

Pearly queen
08-01-20, 16:49
Perhaps if you asked your doctor to refer you for an echo scan. It will be truly conclusive. That might reassure you although I'm not sure its something a gp will do if your ecg is ok. It's always worth asking.

Luffy
08-01-20, 17:18
So I've just been to the Dr and she was fantastic. I told her all my worries and my heart anxiety. She tested my blood pressure and listened to my heart and said everything was great. I asked her about other tests she said no if there was something seriously wrong she would've done them without asking and doesn't want me spiralling into getting test after test. So instead of worrying about the tests I never had I'm going to trust her. So please don't tell me I should be pushed for more because a little voice at the back of my head is already saying that to me but I won't give in. Any support on here would be great.

BlueIris
08-01-20, 17:23
A trustworthy GP is a rare and precious thing; I've found one now, she knows me and she trusts me to know my own body.

It looks as though you've been lucky too, and that's great!

Luffy
08-01-20, 17:27
Thank you. I'm just trying to keep that little voice at the back of my mind quiet making me doubt things.

BlueIris
08-01-20, 17:35
The little voice at the back of your mind is talking ******** :)

Luffy
08-01-20, 17:49
:D Ha thanks I needed that.

Luffy
08-01-20, 18:18
I'm still trying to repeat to myself what the doctor told me that the palpatations are harmless and I'm not going to suddenly have a heart attack.

BlueIris
08-01-20, 18:19
You're really not. Have you tried breathing exercises to help you relax?

Luffy
08-01-20, 18:28
Sorry I'm just over thinking again. The dr put me on citalopram and also signed me up for counselling. I've tried breathing exercise but sometimes I focus too much on how many breaths i take.

Midnight-mouse
08-01-20, 18:55
Perhaps if you asked your doctor to refer you for an echo scan. It will be truly conclusive. That might reassure you although I'm not sure its something a gp will do if your ecg is ok. It's always worth asking.

I think it’s much better to let the doctors decide what’s appropriate. No point going through testing and the additional anxiety when the person that’s already been trained extensively in the human body hasn’t deemed it necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jujube
08-01-20, 20:22
I would be up front with the doctor about your health anxiety so that he or she will be very clear with you about any results you get and allow you to ask as many follow up questions as you need to ask.

Luffy
08-01-20, 21:52
Anyone out there having an anxiety attack right now over thinking stupid things. Took my citalopram 5 hrs ago. Just so fed up and scared right now.

Carys
08-01-20, 22:37
So please don't tell me I should be pushed for more

Gosh no, you'd never find me telling you anything of the sort. I was told when I was 23 by my GP that my ectopic jumping and jittery heart pattern was benign and needed no further testing and this was done just from my description at a consulation lol. Here I am heading to 30 years later, no heart problems at all but still with ectopic heart beats at times of stress. They see these sorts of things all the time, and if they are fantastic GPs (as you knew she was) then they want to keep you safe and care for you and will take no risks.

Luffy
08-01-20, 23:02
Thank you so much for your reply carys. Right now my health anxiety is making me think my meds are messing with me even though I've only took one. I just need to start taking control back of my mind and thoughts and stop anxiety sneaking in.

scared88
09-01-20, 00:47
I'm struggling with this too. I've felt something in abdomen and a doctor I went to in just a walk in clinic said it was probably my ascending colon I was feeling. Freaked me out that I could feel my insides. But the doctor said it wasn't anything to worry about and nothing more was needed. Didn't really bother me again until recently and started to freak out about it despite the doctors saying it's OK

Elen
09-01-20, 08:09
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Pearly queen
10-01-20, 14:23
I think it’s much better to let the doctors decide what’s appropriate. No point going through testing and the additional anxiety when the person that’s already been trained extensively in the human body hasn’t deemed it necessary.

I understood this site was for people to ask for opinions and for other people to give advise and or opinions. It is up to the individual to listen to or ignore any or all advice. I made it very clear I didn't think the gp would agree to further testing if they were satisfied with the initial basic checks carried out at surgery. They may however be made more aware of the patients anxiety if they get a sense of how worried they are by asking for extra tests.

Perhaps you are an expert or indeed a gp, if not I fail to see why your opinion is more valid than mine. We all deal with anxiety do we not? We all do the best we can to deal with challenges and this is the one place we should all feel safe and respected and allowed to express an opinion. I see posts and replies all the time that I consider ridiculous or not a big issue but I just scroll on by because it is someone elses anxiety or opinion.

Midnight-mouse
10-01-20, 19:03
I understood this site was for people to ask for opinions and for other people to give advise and or opinions. It is up to the individual to listen to or ignore any or all advice. I made it very clear I didn't think the gp would agree to further testing if they were satisfied with the initial basic checks carried out at surgery. They may however be made more aware of the patients anxiety if they get a sense of how worried they are by asking for extra tests.

Perhaps you are an expert or indeed a gp, if not I fail to see why your opinion is more valid than mine. We all deal with anxiety do we not? We all do the best we can to deal with challenges and this is the one place we should all feel safe and respected and allowed to express an opinion. I see posts and replies all the time that I consider ridiculous or not a big issue but I just scroll on by because it is someone elses anxiety or opinion.

You’re absolutely right this is an anxiety support group, and your well within your rights of course to completely disagree with me. I do respect your opinion and of course you’re free to share it! Unfortunately it seems that the respect part of your reply here was rather lost on me.

I will mention though as you’ve brought it up, yes ‘we all deal with anxiety’ and no I’m no ‘expert’ other than the fact that I no longer have health anxiety (in over 5 years), and my General Anxiety Disorder and OCD have been stable for a good few years also, now that’s not to mean I don’t still have problems with mental illnesses, of course I do, every day, but I’ve been through all of this and out the other side.

So when I see a post that only helps reinforce that there’s something to be reassured of, in this case unnecessary further testing, that won’t actually help the person who’s struggling as it ultimately gives only a false sense of relief followed by more doubts and concerns that the tests were wrong. I will always suggest trusting the medical professionals over suggestions of others or concerns brought about by only ones own mental illness.

It’s a great suggestion to bring to the attention of the doctors how severe your worries and anxiety are, I would think (and have experienced as such) that it’s much more effective to address this issue head on with the health care professionals as opposed hoping that they are ‘sensing their worry through the requests of more tests’ so an appropriate health care plan can be put into place and the correct referrals made as opposed to one to another medical doctor for tests that aren’t necessary. Talking openly with the doctor is very important to our recoveries as they can only gain a full picture of our conditions if we are honest.