PDA

View Full Version : Scared of germs etc. getting up nose

yesmorepanic
10-01-20, 01:22
Hi guys, first post here but I've been lurking for a while.

I have health anxiety about getting stuff up my nose. I'm scared that if I breathe in anything germy or unsanitary it will infect my sinuses and even go up to my brain. When I go to the toilet, I have to breathe through my mouth because I don't want germs getting up there.

My latest concern is gingivitis. I was diagnosed with it recently and I've read that over time the bacteria causing it can build up in the brain and possibly contribute to Alzheimers. I've been wiping my philtrum constantly trying to remove all the gingivitis from my upper lip so it doesn't go up my nose. I know it's ridiculous, but my brain is telling me otherwise constantly. I've even read that a particle has to be 200 micrometres or less (ie. astronomically small) to enter the brain via the sinuses and that the smallest bacterium is five times bigger than that, but that's not helping anything. I was doing pretty well after reading that yesterday and now my health anxiety's back with a vengeance.

So will the gingivitis survive in my sinuses and possibly enter my brain? And can any germs cause sinus infections?

Any help/support is highly appreciated.

BlueIris
10-01-20, 04:55
Psst! Gingivitis is gum inflammation! By definition, it can't occur anywhere other than your gums.