PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure high

emmc
10-01-20, 21:12
I’m a 21 year old female.
I had my blood pressure taken the other day and it was 108/86 which is high and now I’m worried because I don’t know why it’s so high.
I know anxiety can make it rise but I didn’t feel that anxious I was a little anxious I guess. The nurse didn’t mention it but when I went home and looked at the chart that’s high especially for my age.

always scared
10-01-20, 21:32
I'm confused. 120/80 is normal so why would you thing that is high?

emmc
10-01-20, 21:48
I'm confused. 120/80 is normal so why would you thing that is high?
The bottom number is high when I checked on the NHS website. It should be under 80

nomorepanic
10-01-20, 21:53
A one-off reading like that means nothing and it is not that high to be honest.

thismightbezach
10-01-20, 21:54
There’s a reason why the nurse didn’t mention it; it’s of no concern.

Havefaithx
10-01-20, 23:34
If I took your bop I wouldn’t even blink an eyelid at your reading, it wouldn’t even score on the NHS’s early warning system. Honestly it’s absolutely fine x

RadioGaGa
11-01-20, 00:16
I would LOVE your blood pressure reading (and I'm only 5 years older than you at 26)

The NHS Choices website is a bit of a "coffee machine" when it comes to health advice... A sort of online 'computer says no'. It has to be like this because it's giving public health advice to every tom, dick or harry that visits it. Otherwise it would be open to lawsuits etc.

A one-off reading (or even consistent) reading of 108/86 is not worrying at all. There is evidence that if you're a long time diabetic with existing heart disease, high cholesterol and other risk factors such as smoking etc, that blood pressure should consistently read less than 130/85**. But categorically you're one time reading in a healthy 21 year old would not cause any concern whatsoever.

** I think it's 130/85 - you can Google it if you want, but certainly this is the reason the NHS algorithm you used is flagging this result up as high. But in a healthy 21yo this is not worrying at ALL. The systolic is actually very good.

Jase.
11-01-20, 01:10
Yeah, that reading is absolutely fine.

bin tenn
12-01-20, 06:45
I would LOVE your blood pressure reading (and I'm only 5 years older than you at 26)

The NHS Choices website is a bit of a "coffee machine" when it comes to health advice... A sort of online 'computer says no'. It has to be like this because it's giving public health advice to every tom, dick or harry that visits it. Otherwise it would be open to lawsuits etc.

A one-off reading (or even consistent) reading of 108/86 is not worrying at all. There is evidence that if you're a long time diabetic with existing heart disease, high cholesterol and other risk factors such as smoking etc, that blood pressure should consistently read less than 130/85**. But categorically you're one time reading in a healthy 21 year old would not cause any concern whatsoever.

** I think it's 130/85 - you can Google it if you want, but certainly this is the reason the NHS algorithm you used is flagging this result up as high. But in a healthy 21yo this is not worrying at ALL. The systolic is actually very good.

Ha, yeah. 32 here. BP without a beta blocker usually not awful but not great either at about 140/90, and with the med it's more like 118/80. Even at the 140/90 my doc and cardiologist both had zero immediate concerns - only very long term. And that's even having a family history of early heart disease.