PDA

View Full Version : App for moles

Phoenixess
17-01-20, 11:10
Just heard about an app that can assess a mole for you in seconds called skin vision. Not sure if this is something that would be useful for anyone who worries about moles? Has anyone else heard about this?

(I expect this to be moved into my symptoms log post ha ha)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueIris
17-01-20, 11:23
I think this would be a really bad idea - the last thing you want to do with health anxiety is to do anything that can add further fuel to your worries.

Phoenixess
17-01-20, 11:25
I think this would be a really bad idea - the last thing you want to do with health anxiety is to do anything that can add further fuel to your worries.

It’s interesting for me because I quite like to know the facts and then I can reassure myself when I’m anxious even though it doesn’t change it in the moment it means it doesn’t feel so scary because I have facts I dunno just an idea

Phoenixess
17-01-20, 11:38
Looks very expensive so it’s not something I would use but it’s somewhere where you can take pictures of moles and keep them together for reference

Fishmanpa
17-01-20, 12:32
BAD idea for an HA sufferer!

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
17-01-20, 12:38
Constant need for reassurance is part of the cause of health anxiety, so this app (which knows that fact) is an extraordinarily bad idea.

BlueIris
17-01-20, 12:59
On a personal note, I know that an app like this could easily send me into a huge tailspin. Heck, while I know it's going to be useful to some (saner) people I get twitchy even thinking about it.

StephA
17-01-20, 14:09
I don’t think this is a good idea for HA sufferers. Complete waste of time and money. It’s like those websites where you can send questions to doctor’s. They don’t know your history or know you personally, and most of the time they’ll tell you to see a doctor anyway. It only fuels the anxiety.

utrocket09
17-01-20, 17:02
Just heard about an app that can assess a mole for you in seconds called skin vision. Not sure if this is something that would be useful for anyone who worries about moles? Has anyone else heard about this?

(I expect this to be moved into my symptoms log post ha ha)

Not a good idea for these types of apps. No one can tell what kind of mole something is unless its biopsied.

nicole97
17-01-20, 17:21
Those apps will definitely make HA worse. They work on a set of rules for moles (the ABCDE rules), and honestly, SOOO many normal moles do not fit within the "regular" guidelines. So it would just end up making you crazy. I do not recommend those at all.

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-20, 18:57
Not a good idea for these types of apps. No one can tell what kind of mole something is unless its biopsied.

It's going to be one of those "this mole doesn't fit ABCDE so see your doctor" things I would imagine since no doctor can know without a biopsy either other than there is no reason to waste time on one because the mole is fine.

As ever it's one of those things built for the non anxious to use just like Dr Google. The fact HAers misuse technology to fuel mental health problems is not in the minds of the designers just as the news outlets aren't bothered about GADers who are triggered by the doom & gloom on the news.

From a consumer point of view my first question would be how reliable is it and who has confirmed that. Anyone can build an app. As utrocket says no one can know and it opens up a question over whether it could say you are fine when you are not. But does this just take a photograph and pass it to someone on the other end who is trained to check?

Not a good idea for a HAer but not because of technology and because of the mind of the HAer that needs to be changed.

Kiko22
18-01-20, 07:38
I used an Italian app named "clicca il neo" (click the mole) that basically does the same and I couldn't have done a worse mistake. Photos are not the best way to assess if a mole is normal or not.
The doctors who answered to me said I had to go to the doctor immediately because my mole could be dangerous.
The dermatologist who saw me could say it was benign without a dermoscope.
So....not a good idea.