PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus worries?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

ady1779
02-06-13, 05:40
So I was just reading the news and up pops the story that the WHO has issued a warning about a new possible pandemic virus called MERS!! I swear, just as I start to get to an okay place, I read something like this! It's on the news here and everything. Well of course now my throat hurts and I'm starting to worry about how to protect my kids from this!! Any one else really worried about this? I don't handle these pandemic news stories well at all!!

spacebunnyx
02-06-13, 17:00
Hiya, I don't panic about it as such but I do feel a sense of doom when I hear about it. It's completely beyond our control at the moment and there's not a lot we can do but have trust that the various governments have their eyes on this.

Try not to worry - its really not worth it at the moment! xxx

emmc
20-01-20, 20:26
This isn’t really to do with my health right now but an anxious thought about all this news I Have been seeing about this new deadly virus that’s been spreading across China at the moment. It’s spread really quickly and now I’m getting anxious about it just spreading even more and going everywhere. Probably really irrational but does anyone else have this fear atm because of the news?

NancyW
20-01-20, 20:59
I don't watch the news, it's sensationalizing and fear mongering.

Pamplemousse
20-01-20, 22:20
This isn’t really to do with my health right now but an anxious thought about all this news I Have been seeing about this new deadly virus that’s been spreading across China at the moment. It’s spread really quickly and now I’m getting anxious about it just spreading even more and going everywhere. Probably really irrational but does anyone else have this fear atm because of the news?

Nope.

Fishmanpa
20-01-20, 22:24
I saw the story and I'm not surprised it showed up on the boards. I commented on the story that it was HA food ;)

Positive thoughts

ErinKC
21-01-20, 02:50
I've never even heard of it! (And I don't plan to look it up)

AntsyVee
21-01-20, 06:15
Every new health epidemic is scary...but then again it’s part of living. There is always something to worry about if you let yourself.

Pamplemousse
21-01-20, 12:19
Hell, if you want to feed the HA dragon here in the UK you only have to look at the Daily Mail or Daily Express...

Fishmanpa
21-01-20, 12:47
There are 1.4 billion people in China. There have been 6 fatalities and 300 reported cases. Just some perspective, the flu is 4X as deadly. At least its not another ebola outbreak.

Positive thoughts

emmc
21-01-20, 22:58
Yh I try not to worry but I’m not even looking for it it came up on my social media. Even today my social media have seen it’s happened in America. Trying my best ignore!

Phoenixess
22-01-20, 19:45
I’m a bit concerned about this as I’ve got to go to London this weekend and I’m worried I might come into contact with someone. My mum who doesn’t have Anxiety equally shared my concern as it is a serious worry for anyone. I think we have to just carry on living and if we catch it we catch it if we don’t then we don’t! So I’m trying to not look at it. Staying positive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pulisa
22-01-20, 20:03
It's not really a serious worry for anyone who has a normal and healthy immune system.

We'll be back to Brexit news next week. Remember "World War 3"?

Enjoy London! There will be the inevitable panic on here no doubt but the media love to stoke up doom and gloom scenarios so take it all with a pinch of salt! They would soon switch back to news of Harry and Meghan if they were to make an appearance/spout some more nonsense about their sense of non-royal duty etc etc

nomorepanic
22-01-20, 20:03
It was on the news this morning. It is not in the UK and only a few cases in USA and they say that is will never get here cos the chinese will deal with it.

You can't stop living because of something that will never happen.

pulisa
22-01-20, 20:34
I'm sure Donald's hot air will nuke the pesky virus in the US and it's probably fake noos anyway...

Phoenixess
22-01-20, 20:42
It's not really a serious worry for anyone who has a normal and healthy immune system.

Enjoy London! There will be the inevitable panic on here no doubt but the media love to stoke up doom and gloom scenarios so take it all with a pinch of salt! They would soon switch back to news of Harry and Meghan if they were to make an appearance/spout some more nonsense about their sense of non-royal duty etc etc

Thanks lovely I’m terrified as it’s my first time going since I’ve been poorly with anxiety and panic BUT I’m doing it and have a hospital appointment whilst I’m there so it’s a bit of a productive trip in the sense of doing few things at once. Never the less it will be lovely to have my final break before I finish my degree xx

Matthew1233
22-01-20, 20:49
I am very scared about this outbreak in China that has killed 17 people and infected hundreds. Many news websites are saying it could 'mutate', 'spread to Britain' and 'kill millions'.
How can I relax myself about this?

Scass
22-01-20, 20:54
Well if it helps - don’t read the news - especially the ones that are well known for scaring people.
Also you need to look at the preventative measures that are being being put in place and the fact that it seems for most people it’s like a bad cold.

nomorepanic
22-01-20, 20:55
Please read this:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?233967-Coronavirus-worries

scaredpt
22-01-20, 21:57
I live in a major urban center in the US so am very concerned! Hopefully they can contain it

phil06
22-01-20, 22:22
I have read about this and it worries me

nomorepanic
22-01-20, 22:37
Please do not be worried as we keep saying

emmc
23-01-20, 01:31
I wouldn’t worry to much about it. As said before they’ve confirmed only 17 deaths out of 550 cases or however many and we also have no info if all these people already had healthy immune systems.

Pkstracy
23-01-20, 02:51
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/health/what-is-coronavirus-explained/index.html This may be helpful, it will seriously affect you if you are elderly. very young like baby-toddler, or have weak immune systems.

ckelley116
23-01-20, 03:16
Thanks lovely I’m terrified as it’s my first time going since I’ve been poorly with anxiety and panic BUT I’m doing it and have a hospital appointment whilst I’m there so it’s a bit of a productive trip in the sense of doing few things at once. Never the less it will be lovely to have my final break before I finish my degree xx

London is my absolute favorite city in the world (just look at my profile photo)! It’s an amazing place; try and enjoy yourself 😊 everything will be fine!

MyNameIsTerry
23-01-20, 04:32

Yeah, whatever happened to WW3? I think I must have overslept that day :whistles:

As Trump and China don't they just retaliate? So, China send over some germs and Trump will send over flu-laden passengers just to say his willy is bigger than theirs :blush:

It's been an unusual month with two major withdrawal acts hasn't it? :winks: Still, I expect the Queen already has the Told you so gang banner ready for the inevitable tail between legs return in years to come :roflmao: She certainly put the brakes on their planned soliciting of the royal name for all those potential corporates. Still, Harry can probably get a deal with Ronald for the McPlonker :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
23-01-20, 04:35

Isn't this like worrying about the crime epidemic in London? And rationally you would know unless you plan on going around areas where the police wear riot gear just to buy their lunch (like any major city anywhere in the UK? :winks:) the vast majority of people go about their lives untouched by the "crime wave" the media keep telling us about? It's almost like knives & gangs only exist in the capital :whistles:

Basically that it's a tiny % of a place you are going to and extremely unlikely to happen to anybody. Like so many things in life otherwise we would lock ourselves in our basements. Or as another possible statistical comparison, as likely as you going to London where you are hit on the head by the Trump baby blown off course by a sudden gust of hot air (well, they do usually float it outside Parliament :winks:) and jumping up all bright eyed shouting "I've seen the light, I'm a Republican!!!" :biggrin:

pulisa
23-01-20, 08:14
I'm sure Sky movies will have dug up "Contagion" for prime time viewing during the week...Just to keep the interest going.

BlueIris
23-01-20, 08:31
Over Christmas we had three shootings within walking distance of my home. A week before that, the house opposite us had their windows shot out.

If I can hold it together with that going on, coronavirus isn't going to be amongst my top concerns.

Phoenixess
23-01-20, 08:36
Isn't this like worrying about the crime epidemic in London? And rationally you would know unless you plan on going around areas where the police wear riot gear just to buy their lunch (like any major city anywhere in the UK? :winks:) the vast majority of people go about their lives untouched by the "crime wave" the media keep telling us about? It's almost like knives & gangs only exist in the capital :whistles:

Basically that it's a tiny % of a place you are going to and extremely unlikely to happen to anybody. Like so many things in life otherwise we would lock ourselves in our basements. Or as another possible statistical comparison, as likely as you going to London where you are hit on the head by the Trump baby blown off course by a sudden gust of hot air (well, they do usually float it outside Parliament :winks:) and jumping up all bright eyed shouting "I've seen the light, I'm a Republican!!!" :biggrin:

Crime doesn’t scare me I had two people threaten to kill me and stab me years ago so I’m aware knife crime is mainly someone you know they were bad neighbours who one then robbed my house and stole my independence. I’ve never lived alone since. But I didn’t get stabbed or die.

Coronavirus can do one. I’m hoping if I avoid sneezing people just in general I should be ok hey! We’ve all survived SARS and EBOLA we can do this xx

pulisa
23-01-20, 18:09
Can you imagine the hordes of worried well flocking to the GP with sniffles aka coronavirus?! Pointless trying to get an appointment for anything genuinely urgent, I imagine..

Just carry on and enjoy London, Phoenixess. No need for any extra precautions other than avoiding people coughing and sneezing all over you which you would do anyway.

phil06
23-01-20, 19:56
I had a bit of a blocked nose could I have it? I read it takes weeks to show the symptoms so maybe lots of us have it?

pulisa
23-01-20, 20:30
You're fine, Phil. No need to panic. Concentrate on your next holiday and where you are going to go (possibly not China)

NancyW
23-01-20, 20:55
We’ve all survived SARS and EBOLA we can do this xx

Ebola scares me, the breakout that resulted a few people in the US to get it and my son receiving special training and a white suit freaked me out. Too close to home.

emmc
23-01-20, 21:16
just seen something about Scotland and now I’m even more worried as it’s mainly because the unis there. I also attend uni and it’s such a mixture of people from all over the place I’m terrified about it being in my uni.

Fishmanpa
23-01-20, 21:21
Look... its a form of the flu and they can test to determine and go from there. Either way, the flu is WAY more common and causes more issues.

Fear if you must but common sense rules.

Positive thoughts

aanns_GAD
24-01-20, 00:29
Hiiii okay, so please someone give me some insight. I’m freaking out. That Coronavirus is now in the US. It’s in Seattle and I’m freaking out. I’m in Northern CA. My husband says I need to chill. We don’t have any friends who have gone to China. Let alone left the country. But like what if people at the grocery store have gone?! Or things like that?!?!!! I have a little bit of a runny nose and like my body feels weird but it could totally be like from not eating enough today or allergies but my brain is playing the what if game. I’m so freaked out and worried about it.

Fishmanpa
24-01-20, 00:39
Yep... I literally just posted that we'd be seeing more and more threads about this.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
24-01-20, 11:45
Crime doesn’t scare me I had two people threaten to kill me and stab me years ago so I’m aware knife crime is mainly someone you know they were bad neighbours who one then robbed my house and stole my independence. I’ve never lived alone since. But I didn’t get stabbed or die.

Coronavirus can do one. I’m hoping if I avoid sneezing people just in general I should be ok hey! We’ve all survived SARS and EBOLA we can do this xx

That's a horrible experience to go through :hugs:

People coughing & sneezing in general. Won't this 99.999999% more likely be from a common ailment? Therefore why signal to your subconscious to create a fear that it could be some deadly virus?

Matthew1233
24-01-20, 19:50
Okay so this virus has now reached France and is asymptomatic (people with no symptoms can pass it)
I literally have nothing else to say because im getting painfully worried now.
The news is not helping

pulisa
24-01-20, 19:56
So why are you watching the news?

Matthew1233
24-01-20, 20:14
Well I'm not directly watching it I frequent view news websites thats just full of information about the outbreak

ErinKC
24-01-20, 20:19

A few hundred people out of 7.5 billion on earth have caught a respiratory virus. We're good.

nomorepanic
24-01-20, 20:58
All threads about this have been merged. Please post your concerns on this one thread. Thanks

fishman65
24-01-20, 21:05
OK hands in the air, I've been freaking out about this story too. Probably the fact Mrs F does indeed have a weakened immune system along with underlying health conditions. Epilepsy, crohns disease, diabetes, fibromyalgia. Also my Dad is 90.

I'm not worried about myself because my immune system is pretty good and general fitness much better than it was 14 or 15 months ago. Also not worried about the dogs unless its jumped species again.

Maybe I should stop buying the Daily Mail, that newspaper seems to delight in bearing ill news.

fishman65
24-01-20, 23:44
Good grief I really do need to revise my reading material. I've just read about the WHO committee that are not reconvening until 10 days time, so this tangovirus must be really serious then.

This...https://honda-tech.com/forums/general-discussion-debate-40/coronavirus-pandemic-3344881/page2/ is very revealing too. Nebraska doctors telling it like it is, that we should be more concerned with seasonal flu.

Why do I keep buying into the 'doom peddlers' rubbish?? :lac:

lebonvin
25-01-20, 00:18
Fishman is right. It's another media hysteria gig.

Ii imagine most folk here got pneumonia at some time in your lifes right and yous still living.

Diarrhea, cough, fever, feel weak. Compare that to other shit we've all got or had.

lebonvin
25-01-20, 00:20
Okay so this virus has now reached France and is asymptomatic (people with no symptoms can pass it)
I literally have nothing else to say because im getting painfully worried now.
The news is not helping

Hey bro do yousself a favor and turn off the hot damn tv. Stop reading news does a month. Then it will be gone.

MyNameIsTerry
25-01-20, 11:51
I remember when the Aussie flu threads were in full swing on here. One Aussie member posted asking why we are all calling it Aussie flu when they just call it the flu.

pulisa
25-01-20, 13:03
Does a good "crisis" relieve the tedium of everyday life for some people?

WiredIncorrectly
25-01-20, 14:50
Why waste time thinking about it and worrying about it? Cross the bridge if you ever come to it otherwise it's wasting valuable thinking time. There's a life enjoy :)

Hollow
25-01-20, 20:01
This is another manufactured, fake "epidemic" just like Ebola, SARS, Swine flu and numerous others. Of-course, Big Pharma is now going to invent a new vaccine and make billions.

lebonvin
25-01-20, 23:37
I remember when the Aussie flu threads were in full swing on here. One Aussie member posted asking why we are all calling it Aussie flu when they just call it the flu.

That's funny

In French this new virus is "virus chinoise". Some one been real careful not to name it that in English lessen to offend them Chinese

I guess the gig up to now was to name new disease from the country or animal where it started

lebonvin
26-01-20, 04:07
This is another manufactured, fake "epidemic" just like Ebola, SARS, Swine flu and numerous others. Of-course, Big Pharma is now going to invent a new vaccine and make billions.

Sorry bro but not with you on this one. Unless the Chinese big pharma ccomes up with a vaccine but I don't think theys got big pharma, just generic copies of shit

SnowyGreen
26-01-20, 05:10

I'm an Aussie and never even heard of the "Aussie flu". When was this?

We have 4 cases of the coronavirus here in Aus now, the first man diagnosed is in a hospital 20 minutes from me, and I don't even care.

lebonvin
26-01-20, 05:20
Good on yer buddy

SnowyGreen
26-01-20, 05:48
Good on yer buddy

Ta

Toby2000
26-01-20, 07:47

My mum had that a couple of years ago. I'm surprised I wasn't freaking out more in retrospect

Toby2000
26-01-20, 07:49
TRIGGER WARNING

I'm scared about the virus too... apparently 90,000 people are infected?!!?!?

The source is the video here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7929657/Nurse-treating-coronavirus-sufferers-China-claims-90-000-people-infected.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

Phoenixess
26-01-20, 07:50
Hi all I’m back from London! I had to avoid the news whilst I was there as I kept seeing Chinese nationals with masks on. It was scary enough and real enough seeing that. I felt I was avoid contact with everyone and washing my hands regularly. But there has been no confirmed cases here so I think I’m ok just paranoid. I’m home now and worried about going to uni with it. Just niggling panic and fear of dying!! Same as usual

lanerbanana
26-01-20, 07:50
yeah im pretty worried about this thing too, i dont want to tell anyone what i've read but im terrified...
i live in the US and there've already been 2 confirmed cases, i think they've tested like. 63 people that have potentially been exposed?
most were negative i think. still, im a bit afraid and the news isnt helping. i've been reading on countless websites (cnn, washington post, vox, hell i've even been reading on china daily) and it's scaring me to bits and pieces.
my sister says not to worry and same with my brother in law. it's just so terrifying. the only comfort is that i've read about a few cases that are currently in stable condition. there ARE also SARS survivors too, so at least there's a little bit of hope?
i've also read that they've contained the virus and are testing it as well which is also comforting
i think what scares me the most is the possibility of coverups and whatnot, like with the SARS outbreaks. also the long incubation period too.
sorry, i needed to vent my fears and i wanted to be with people who are of stable mind

Phoenixess
26-01-20, 07:58
TRIGGER WARNING

The source is the video here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7929657/Nurse-treating-coronavirus-sufferers-China-claims-90-000-people-infected.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

This actually freaked me out but when you think 90,000 people is not that many in the grand scheme of things and how many have they come into contact with who don’t have it

Phoenixess
26-01-20, 08:00
yeah im pretty worried about this thing too, i dont want to tell anyone what i've read but im terrified...
i live in the US and there've already been 2 confirmed cases, i think they've tested like. 63 people that have potentially been exposed?
most were negative i think. still, im a bit afraid and the news isnt helping. i've been reading on countless websites (cnn, washington post, vox, hell i've even been reading on china daily) and it's scaring me to bits and pieces.
my sister says not to worry and same with my brother in law. it's just so terrifying. the only comfort is that i've read about a few cases that are currently in stable condition. there ARE also SARS survivors too, so at least there's a little bit of hope?
i've also read that they've contained the virus and are testing it as well which is also comforting
i think what scares me the most is the possibility of coverups and whatnot, like with the SARS outbreaks. also the long incubation period too.
sorry, i needed to vent my fears and i wanted to be with people who are of stable mind

I think your right to compare it to sars I was a lot younger when that happened but Ebola was pretty terrifying we need to hold on. Basically I think when they don’t know what it is or how it’s mutating or how to treat it it’s terrifying give them time they will have a breakthrough and then they will be able to control it !!!!

lebonvin
26-01-20, 08:10
TRIGGER WARNING

Hey bro I'm a yank but even I knows that Daily Mail is fulla shit.

20 bucks and my left nut say that Express will come out with bigger number

lanerbanana
26-01-20, 08:21
I think your right to compare it to sars I was a lot younger when that happened but Ebola was pretty terrifying we need to hold on. Basically I think when they don’t know what it is or how it’s mutating or how to treat it it’s terrifying give them time they will have a breakthrough and then they will be able to control it !!!!

ive read that it comes from the same family as SARS and MERS, and all of those are actually in the same family as the common cold, believe it or not!
there are people who are in stable condition who are recovering from the virus, so that's a comfort.
yea the most frightening thing about this virus is that it's mostly unknown, bc it's a new strain and there isn't a lot known about it.
again though, there are reports that the virus is being tested on and that they're trying to figure out what to do with it.
dailymail has a bad track record with fearmongering certain things though, so i'm not exactly 100% sure if they're trustworthy. they're kinda like the sun, or the national enquirer here in the US. the videos in question are really scary, though. those doctors are working around the clock and they're extremely exhausted from trying to quell the panic of the outbreak and take care of people who are affected.

trigger warning imminent!!
please proceed with caution!

what scared me a lot too was reading about a healthy man who died of the virus with no pre-existing conditions, also reports of a 2 year old who was infected but is in stable condition as of now. mostly the virus has been killing off elderly and people with pre-existing conditions, like immunocompromisation. sometimes the flu has freak accidents like this, so maybe this was an unfortunate case? also taking into mind the exhausted doctors who may have not paid much attention to the patient as well, there are so many things that could've caused it. nonetheless, there needs to be extra precautions of course because we don't know much about the virus

lanerbanana
26-01-20, 08:27
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-vaccines/with-wuhan-virus-genetic-code-in-hand-scientists-begin-work-on-a-vaccine-idUSKBN1ZN2J8
here's an article that should hopefully spring a little hope.

jray23
26-01-20, 08:47
56 deaths now being reported out of China. To put that in perspective, 6,600 people have died from the flu in the USA this winter so far and it's not even an unusual flu year. Both numbers are certain to rise as the season continues.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

pulisa
26-01-20, 08:50
Seasonal flu is far more potent than this coronavirus but people love a good panic and the media are feeding into this.

Matthew1233
26-01-20, 11:42
The thing that is scaring me is that it can now spread before symptoms now even show. Is SARS/MERS like this?

MyNameIsTerry
26-01-20, 12:06
trigger warning imminent!!
please proceed with caution!

what scared me a lot too was reading about a healthy man who died of the virus with no pre-existing conditions, also reports of a 2 year old who was infected but is in stable condition as of now. mostly the virus has been killing off elderly and people with pre-existing conditions, like immunocompromisation. sometimes the flu has freak accidents like this, so maybe this was an unfortunate case? also taking into mind the exhausted doctors who may have not paid much attention to the patient as well, there are so many things that could've caused it. nonetheless, there needs to be extra precautions of course because we don't know much about the virus

This happens every year in the UK with seasonal flu and pneumonia. The elderly die and so do people with chronic conditions such as asthma or COPD. And then there are some of the rarer cases of perfectly fit people dying from it to because sometimes it just happens just like sometimes someone has a cold and ends up with sepsis.

Beware the media! The Daily Mail, as you say, is a scaremongering rag and that's their business model. It works great for them. Not everything they print is wrong and can say some of their health articles match to the studies behind them from my own experience of delving further but what they tend to do is give very few details as to let you add your own panic. They may have an article about how something kills x people a year but will leave out the 99.99% of people doctors cure easily.

I can remember the same panic of not only the flus but the flesh eating bacteria, foot & mouth, mad cow disease, etc. We never hear of the stuff years on.

MyNameIsTerry
26-01-20, 12:11
56 deaths now being reported out of China. To put that in perspective, 6,600 people have died from the flu in the USA this winter so far and it's not even an unusual flu year. Both numbers are certain to rise as the season continues.

Seasonal flu is far more potent than this coronavirus but people love a good panic and the media are feeding into this.

Exactly. How many people die of seasonal flu, something which we can handle, every year? About 600 on average in the UK die. Seems like Chinese Flu has some way to go to catch up. Between 2013-2014 we had 11k die form seasonal flu which is naturally worrying to the health authorities as it was a spike but now we are back to average and it's often because of colder winters hitting, health funding and management in a spike, different strains, etc.

So, now that we know this are we going to stop travelling to the US during winter? And the UK too? Are we all going to avoid large population centres? When all the flu stories were raging I can't remember seeing the crowds of shoppers turning into handfuls.

MyNameIsTerry
26-01-20, 12:36
I'm an Aussie and never even heard of the "Aussie flu". When was this?

We have 4 cases of the coronavirus here in Aus now, the first man diagnosed is in a hospital 20 minutes from me, and I don't even care.

That's exactly what the other person said.

Here is a typical example of an article we were seeing over winter 2017-2018:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/aussie-flu-uk-what-need-know-how-prevent-australian-symptoms-treatment-a8160291.html

That's one of the more middle of the road media outlets compared to such as the Daily Mail who you can imagine were whipping up fear. It tells us it was causing one of the worst Australian epidemics yet members on here said their media weren't in a frenzy like ours.

This just tells me that it's about clicks and whipping it up. Forget flu and remember the media fearmongering over HIV/AIDS which we were al supposed to be terrified of getting off a toilet seat back in the 80-90s.

With Aussie flu the mortality rate did go up but then it started to come down again and the government were reporting no weekly unusual levels compared to expected.

I can even remember one year where we were told excess winter deaths had risen by 50k. It turned out the Office for National Statistics (ONS) had counted al winter deaths irrespective of cause. You can imagine how the media went wild over 50k extra fly deaths. :doh:

Matthew1233
26-01-20, 12:39
Exactly. How many people die of seasonal flu, something which we can handle, every year? About 600 on average in the UK die. Seems like Chinese Flu has some way to go to catch up. Between 2013-2014 we had 11k die form seasonal flu which is naturally worrying to the health authorities as it was a spike but now we are back to average and it's often because of colder winters hitting, health funding and management in a spike, different strains, etc.

So, now that we know this are we going to stop travelling to the US during winter? And the UK too? Are we all going to avoid large population centres? When all the flu stories were raging I can't remember seeing the crowds of shoppers turning into handfuls.

Although this is not the flu, but coronavirus

lanerbanana
26-01-20, 13:06
read that in thailand, out of the 8 people infected, 3 are being treated and 5 have recovered and gone home
thats actually kinda relieving to hear

pulisa
26-01-20, 13:58
Legionnaire's disease is far more of a risk but no one ever panics about that because there's no media scaremongering/it's not dramatic enough to grab interest

fishman65
26-01-20, 15:28
Terry and Pulisa, thank goodness for your common sense and rational thinking. I was ok about this whole thing on Friday, in fact took Dad to hossy for his macular degeneration treatment. But yesterday things went downhill after reading news reports of how the Chinese were struggling to contain this coronavirus etc. So last night on going to bed I was in the blackest mood ever, totally resigned to losing Mrs F and my Dad after the contagion had swept through the UK like the bubonic plague once did.

But thank you both, I have some hope now. Crikey I never used to be like this, I don't even remember the SARS outbreak in 2002/03 let alone panic over it. Or wasn't it in the news?

PS - yes the Daily Mail seems to be reporting this outbreak with 'glee' almost?

jray23
26-01-20, 15:54
The thing that is scaring me is that it can now spread before symptoms now even show. Is SARS/MERS like this?I don't know about those specifically but there are a lot of diseases that spread during the incubation period or by asymptomatic carriers.

jray23
26-01-20, 15:57
Fishman65 - I don't remember MERS much but SARS was everywhere in the news that year. As was swine flu. Both were massively hyped up by the media. The news just wasn't as available back then.

Toby2000
26-01-20, 17:31
I’m feeling really doomed and scared :ohmy:

I’m out right now with family but I just feel like going home and crying because I feel like this really is it. I’ve tried to be rational but perhaps I’ve been convinced by the scaremongering, I don’t know

What’s worse is that I have had some mild stomach upset over the past few days

AND I HAD CHINESE FOOD a couple of nights ago. Tell me I’m being stupid? I’m sooo scared

pulisa
26-01-20, 18:01
Ok..you're being melodramatic but I do think a crisis appeals to you as it does to a lot of people on here. You are intelligent and you must use your common sense here. You know you are being ridiculous really.

fishman65
26-01-20, 18:14
I can assure you Pulisa that a crisis doesn't appeal to me, I've got more than enough on my plate without choosing to add more.

For anyone else looking for reassurance - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/01/24/coronavirus-versus-flu-influenza-deadlier-than-wuhan-china-disease/4564133002/

pulisa
26-01-20, 19:31
I know that you have a lot to occupy you, Fishman and my comment was aimed more at those who have a bit too much time on their hands. It's a distraction but it has repercussions.

Kitkat99
26-01-20, 19:51
Im not sure if youtube links are allowed on here but this video helped me -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aerq4byr7ps

MyNameIsTerry
26-01-20, 20:16
I’m feeling really doomed and scared :ohmy:

I’m out right now with family but I just feel like going home and crying because I feel like this really is it. I’ve tried to be rational but perhaps I’ve been convinced by the scaremongering, I don’t know

What’s worse is that I have had some mild stomach upset over the past few days

AND I HAD CHINESE FOOD a couple of nights ago. Tell me I’m being stupid? I’m sooo scared

If you were eating it in China then you might have something to consider but since we don't even have any confirmed cases in the UK wouldn't it seem irrational? And why would it be from food?

There are many illnesses people can die from yet everyone is panicking about this one. This has killed very few people, far less than the many things that kill people in the UK every year. Why is this? Could it be that the media are plastering it wall-to-wall and not telling anyone about all those other boring causes they are aren't currently interested in? :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
26-01-20, 20:22
Terry and Pulisa, thank goodness for your common sense and rational thinking. I was ok about this whole thing on Friday, in fact took Dad to hossy for his macular degeneration treatment. But yesterday things went downhill after reading news reports of how the Chinese were struggling to contain this coronavirus etc. So last night on going to bed I was in the blackest mood ever, totally resigned to losing Mrs F and my Dad after the contagion had swept through the UK like the bubonic plague once did.

But thank you both, I have some hope now. Crikey I never used to be like this, I don't even remember the SARS outbreak in 2002/03 let alone panic over it. Or wasn't it in the news?

PS - yes the Daily Mail seems to be reporting this outbreak with 'glee' almost?

Yeah, that's the Mail's business model so they are bound to be like that. Just like how they make so much out of celeb news so will be high fiving each other because someone's marriage has broken up.

That's the thing with the media thought isn't it? You get a sense for how they report so know how they will respond. Read The Mirror and expect anti Tory reporting, read The Telegraph and expect anti Labour reporting, read The Guardian and expect much clutching off left wing pearls, read The Express and expect the country's wrongs to be because of foreigners.

That makes me think of something else too. The media are very biased when it comes to countries or leaders they oppose. With this being China how can we rule out overreporting simply because the US are not on the best of terms with them? I think with the likes of the Mail they are rubbing their hand with glee as you say because it's a scary story they can whip up but the more political rags might be inclined to run China down a bit :winks:

Fishmanpa
26-01-20, 20:41
The media is jumping in with both feet on this one. I said before, when I first saw the story, I left a comment that the HA/anxiety boards would be blowing up and just like the other health scares over the last several years, that proved to be the case. In fact, my initial comment has garnered several hundred thumbs up.

It's a virus. Like a cold or the flu. In fact, it's much less serious than the actual influenza virus (flu) or the past SARS outbreaks and such. Yeah, if you end up getting it, you'll feel like shite but you'll recover. That said, I expect the coverage of the story to increase and the number of threads and posts to do the same.

Bottom line is common sense hygiene, and limes ;)

Positive thoughts

Slsheeba567
26-01-20, 20:44
Now I get what you’re all thinking, but hear me out. I’m actually not worried about myself with this. I’m worried about my mom. She’s a flight attendant, and although she doesn’t fly China lately, the virus is spreading and I’m extremely worried she’s going to catch it, especially because it takes 2 weeks to show symptoms. I’m so scared for her, I want to cry.

Matthew1233
26-01-20, 22:11
The media is jumping in with both feet on this one. I said before, when I first saw the story, I left a comment that the HA/anxiety boards would be blowing up and just like the other health scares over the last several years, that proved to be the case. In fact, my initial comment has garnered several hundred thumbs up.

It's a virus. Like a cold or the flu. In fact, it's much less serious than the actual influenza virus (flu) or the past SARS outbreaks and such. Yeah, if you end up getting it, you'll feel like shite but you'll recover. That said, I expect the coverage of the story to increase and the number of threads and posts to do the same.

Bottom line is common sense hygiene, and limes ;)

Positive thoughts

I appreciate this but it's the passing of the virus transmitted others while not showing symptoms which is the scary thing

fishman65
26-01-20, 22:43
Now I get what you’re all thinking, but hear me out. I’m actually not worried about myself with this. I’m worried about my mom. She’s a flight attendant, and although she doesn’t fly China lately, the virus is spreading and I’m extremely worried she’s going to catch it, especially because it takes 2 weeks to show symptoms. I’m so scared for her, I want to cry.Slsheeba567, I can understand your fears and of course you will be worried. However I read that the median age for people who have died of the Wuhan virus is 75, and they tended to have underlying health conditions too. So elderly people in poor health. I hope that gives you some comfort.

Slsheeba567
26-01-20, 22:59
Thank you fishman, that does make me feel better!

Toby2000
26-01-20, 23:25
The question is, how will we put a stop to it? Just wait for it to die in China? I don't know how these viruses work but I know it takes ages to develop vaccines against them

wasdhu
26-01-20, 23:44
This virus had me thinking about swine flu in 2009, when that was going around I remember not being that nervous about it. Now I'm terrified of the coronavirus. Does anyone remember if swine flu had this much panic back then? I was 10 so I don't remember, also because I didn't watch the news

lanerbanana
27-01-20, 00:47
This virus had me thinking about swine flu in 2009, when that was going around I remember not being that nervous about it. Now I'm terrified of the coronavirus. Does anyone remember if swine flu had this much panic back then? I was 10 so I don't remember, also because I didn't watch the news

i remember a little bit of the swine flu stuff. there were lots of people who were freaking out about it too. lot of talk about the death toll as well. i was younger than you were so i dont remember a whole lot but i do remember little bits and pieces

lanerbanana
27-01-20, 00:50
The question is, how will we put a stop to it? Just wait for it to die in China? I don't know how these viruses work but I know it takes ages to develop vaccines against them

i believe this is what happened with SARS as well as MERS, it just kinda died out, while scientists were in the middle of developing a vaccine for it. there havent been very many cases afterwards so i guess they just didnt think it was necessary anymore

feelthelove
27-01-20, 01:38
I'm type 2 diabetic and my doctor tells me I am more vulnerable to sickness , well I have had bronchitis since December with mild cold symptoms still going on right now . I had to come down as I am coughing again and it isn't fair to my hubby .

I wasn't too concerned when I heard about this outbreak , but I am beginning to get a bit worried because I'm already run down from fighting bronchitis and so it concerns me if I am already low then don't want that virus here .

I'm not at the point of panic or it isn't causing me anxiety because I do believe the governments are doing what they can to protect us .

feelthelove
27-01-20, 01:49
Did you ever see the news report on ebola that was going around. It had a man on the floor and someone pouring water over his head and giving him drinks of water , with the sombre news reporter explaining his suffering and symptoms . When the report was supposedly finished they forgot to turn off the camera and the guy on the floor sat up and someone handed him a load of notes which he put in his back pocket and he walked off .

That is what happens to cause panic and fear amongst us. News loves doom and gloom and if we are daft enough to fall for it then we need to remember that they are there to make money , misery makes them money .

lebonvin
27-01-20, 03:45
Es corretto ma'am

Some good folk is worried abouts their stox losin value

Some good folk is worried abouts tourist industry if them Chinese don't travel outta country

Why don't I give a shit I must be some callous barsteward

I feels sorry for Chinese folk, in fact any Asian looking folk coz their gonna get discrimination wherever theys go now

Barricade yousself in your home

jray23
27-01-20, 04:51
This virus had me thinking about swine flu in 2009, when that was going around I remember not being that nervous about it. Now I'm terrified of the coronavirus. Does anyone remember if swine flu had this much panic back then? I was 10 so I don't remember, also because I didn't watch the newsYes. Massively. There was tons of news about how it was this new strain and the vaccines didn't work and it was going to engulf the globe in shades of 1918/19.

Although to be fair, swine flu was way more destructive than any of these coronaviruses have been. As is the "regular" flu.

lebonvin
27-01-20, 05:00
Pig flu was destructive to pigs

lebonvin
27-01-20, 05:22
A virus is what it say, a virus. Season flu is a virus. Virus don't respond to antibiotic. If you visit yous doc with flu they'll tell yous to stay in bed and drink pints of water. There ain't no cure but it ain't necessary coz the body cures it.

This China virus is just another virus. Good folk is freakin coxza the way it been reported and coz it's a newbie.

I said enough already. Even da Fishman who has survived every disease known to man can't be assed to say any thing more.

It's a exaggeration.

Don't be fooled by names. Pig flu, bird flu, sars, ebola, it's all the same hot damn flu with a little twist.

If beubonic plague make a comeback then let's all freak.

Fishmanpa
27-01-20, 11:16
I appreciate this but it's the passing of the virus transmitted others while not showing symptoms which is the scary thing

How is that any different than how the flu, cold or other upper respiratory virus is passed? Same Thing. You're contagious from day 1 before symptoms start showing.

A virus is what it say, a virus. Season flu is a virus. Virus don't respond to antibiotic. If you visit yous doc with flu they'll tell yous to stay in bed and drink pints of water. There ain't no cure but it ain't necessary coz the body cures it.

This China virus is just another virus. Good folk is freakin coxza the way it been reported and coz it's a newbie.

I said enough already. Even da Fishman who has survived every disease known to man can't be assed to say any thing more.

It's a exaggeration.

Don't be fooled by names. Pig flu, bird flu, sars, ebola, it's all the same hot damn flu with a little twist.

If beubonic plague make a comeback then let's all freak.

Spot on! :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
27-01-20, 13:42

It was all over the UK media throughout. Much the same as Aussie flu, bird flu, etc. Lots of pandemic worrying making people think of films like Outbreak.

MyNameIsTerry
27-01-20, 13:43
Pig flu was destructive to pigs

No wonder the politicians are so worried then...they spend their noses in the trough all day long too :winks:

MyNameIsTerry
27-01-20, 13:44
Did you ever see the news report on ebola that was going around. It had a man on the floor and someone pouring water over his head and giving him drinks of water , with the sombre news reporter explaining his suffering and symptoms . When the report was supposedly finished they forgot to turn off the camera and the guy on the floor sat up and someone handed him a load of notes which he put in his back pocket and he walked off .

That is what happens to cause panic and fear amongst us. News loves doom and gloom and if we are daft enough to fall for it then we need to remember that they are there to make money , misery makes them money .

I don't remember that. I sounds like Damian Day off comedy Drop The Dead Donkey who was known for dunking cormorants in oil to get a photo for an oil slick report and how he would plant the same child's teddy bear at any disaster site he reported on. :biggrin:

feelthelove
27-01-20, 15:11
I don't remember that. I sounds like Damian Day off comedy Drop The Dead Donkey who was known for dunking cormorants in oil to get a photo for an oil slick report and how he would plant the same child's teddy bear at any disaster site he reported on. :biggrin:

lol think it was a real report if i can find i will post it .

pulisa
27-01-20, 20:57
Don't you get the feeling that Sky News/ the media in general are just desperate to get an actual diagnosed case over here? All these negative results must be so disappointing....

There will be a conflict of interests on Friday with Brexit Day and all that nonsense..especially if BoJo sneezes during any interviews!

fishman65
27-01-20, 21:37
I've been panicking again over all this today. Had a good morning at my social anxiety group and yet this evening I feel back where I was.

Carys
27-01-20, 21:46
Don't you get the feeling that Sky News/ the media in general are just desperate to get an actual diagnosed case over here?

Yes, I do get that feeling indeed! Then they can camp outside a hospital and continue to feed unabated fear to the masses, with an 'exciting' new development.

FrankT
27-01-20, 23:07
Honestly, I've only just heard about this today. If it ends up getting a ton of super spreaders, then I'd be really worried.

fishman65
27-01-20, 23:31
Where have you been Frank? Marooned on a tiny Pacific island?

lanerbanana
27-01-20, 23:41
i just remembered i ordered something from china off of aliexpress during late december and it shipped to me on the 29th, it just now got here
i dont know what city it was shipped from but i am getting increasingly worried. i disinfected the package and washed my hands multiple times while handling the package so should i be ok? ive read that the virus doesnt last that long outside of a host so it would definitely be dead by the time it got to you. but im not completely sure. should i be worried?

PanickyGuy
28-01-20, 00:14
i just remembered i ordered something from china off of aliexpress during late december and it shipped to me on the 29th, it just now got here
i dont know what city it was shipped from but i am getting increasingly worried. i disinfected the package and washed my hands multiple times while handling the package so should i be ok? ive read that the virus doesnt last that long outside of a host so it would definitely be dead by the time it got to you. but im not completely sure. should i be worried?

Naw. So far it doesn't seem to spread or transfer by surface. Only by mouth into open air. But by disinfecting the package, no doubt you probably killed everything including the cooties. :)

lanerbanana
28-01-20, 00:21
Naw. So far it doesn't seem to spread or transfer by surface. Only by mouth into open air. But by disinfecting the package, no doubt you probably killed everything including the cooties. :)

haha! thanks panickyguy, what you said at the end made me giggle lol, i sprayed it top to bottom with disinfectant and even sprayed my hands with the stuff too lol, just to make absolutely sure.
i need to stop reading the news about it honestly

lebonvin
28-01-20, 02:53
No matter what sensible folk likes me and da Fishman says, there's gonna be folk of a nervous disposition what freak.

German media looked at the fatalities in Chi-town and concluded that these was folk with pre-existing heavy diseases already. So your normal flu would of made them croak any roads.

pulisa
28-01-20, 08:33
I've been panicking again over all this today. Had a good morning at my social anxiety group and yet this evening I feel back where I was.

I'm glad that the group is manageable. I'm sure you felt better being away from news sources and media scaremongering. Remember that the aim is to whip up frenzy and panic to gain viewers/readers/listeners.

lebonvin
28-01-20, 11:16
The worse gig about this mass media mass hysteria is that any folk who looks Chinese is gonna feel uncomfortable in fact I already seen it, it go for Korean and Vietnam's or wherever they from, it will be like Hitler blaming Jews for all his shit. That's my worry

lanerbanana
28-01-20, 11:33
https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factchecking-the-coronavirus
here's an article i found that's pretty good

FrankT
28-01-20, 13:55
Where have you been Frank? Marooned on a tiny Pacific island?

Nope - just my apartment. The fact is I've been reading as little news as possible, because so much of it points to doomsday.

Phoenixess
28-01-20, 15:03
I had been doing ok since my recent trip to london but now i have seen the news about the person in Birmingham which isnt far from me and ive gone into meltdown mode again

WiredIncorrectly
28-01-20, 16:19
I'm in Birmingham. I've got some mad flu. Doesn't feel like a normal flu. Seems to be creeping up slowly and getting worse. Making me very sleepy too. If that's you Coronavirus, my CNS is ready for you. Let's go :roflmao:

I don't even panic about this stuff. If my number is up, it's up. It is what it is.

fishman65
28-01-20, 16:24
I didn't know about this either, hopefully it will be flu.

WiredIncorrectly
28-01-20, 16:39
I just read about the Birmingham guy. Says he'd been feeling unwell since December, but not particularly unwell. That's what I've said about this flu I've got and I've said in other posts even up to two weeks ago where I said I was feeling like I had some flu.

Imagine if. I'd be the first case of an agoraphobic with this flu. I reckon people have been carrying it for a while and we're going to see it pop up all over the place.

What's the mean age of death? Is it the old and vulnerable?

lanerbanana
28-01-20, 17:41
I just read about the Birmingham guy. Says he'd been feeling unwell since December, but not particularly unwell. That's what I've said about this flu I've got and I've said in other posts even up to two weeks ago where I said I was feeling like I had some flu.

Imagine if. I'd be the first case of an agoraphobic with this flu. I reckon people have been carrying it for a while and we're going to see it pop up all over the place.

What's the mean age of death? Is it the old and vulnerable?

yes, mostly
it's looking more and more likely that the elderly, people with pre-existing heart/lung conditions, and basically anyone who's immunocompromised are the most in danger, but the flu would pretty much be the same red alert level, really
it's more likely you've got the regular ol' flu. just keep pushing fluids and getting rest, and if you get worse, go see a doc.

lanerbanana
28-01-20, 17:44
was there someone in birmingham who was confirmed? or is he getting tested and is unconfirmed?

Carys
28-01-20, 17:44
it's more likely you've got the regular ol' flu

I'd say it was a certainty !

lanerbanana
28-01-20, 17:50
https://slate.com/technology/2020/01/coronavirus-outbreak-china-sars-worry-level.html
another reassuring article!

MyNameIsTerry
28-01-20, 18:57
Nope - just my apartment. The fact is I've been reading as little news as possible, because so much of it points to doomsday.

That's good, Frank. You need a break from your triggers.

MyNameIsTerry
28-01-20, 19:00
I'm in Birmingham. I've got some mad flu. Doesn't feel like a normal flu. Seems to be creeping up slowly and getting worse. Making me very sleepy too. If that's you Coronavirus, my CNS is ready for you. Let's go :roflmao:

I don't even panic about this stuff. If my number is up, it's up. It is what it is.

Well according to PanickyGuy…

Naw. So far it doesn't seem to spread or transfer by surface. Only by mouth into open air.

And since my mum has just had a cold for the last few days I would like to know what your mouths were doing so close to both get it?!!! :ohmy:

My mum's elderly yet she didn't worry about this virus and she's fine now. Another one chalked up for the 99.99% the media never talk about :whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
28-01-20, 19:06
was there someone in birmingham who was confirmed? or is he getting tested and is unconfirmed?

I'm thinking this to be a major overreaction to be honest. He says he came back on New Year's Eve with it and was really ill. He went to see his GP about an unrelated matter 27th January and the GP asked if he has been to China (he had). He was sent home and they visited him to take him to hospital isolation.

A really bad flu that he suffered that long and then only visited his GP for something else a month later? That doesn't sound right to me. Besides, that's a whole month potentially coughing on the public and yet no one in the UK has got it. :winks: It sounds like something posted in a thread on the HA board!

Carys
28-01-20, 19:15
It sounds like something posted in a thread on the HA board!

Aye :roflmao: So during this unrelated matter the GP just happened to ask if he'd been to China, for no reason at all?

Like, he went about his ingrown toe-nail and the GP randomly said 'HAVE YOU BEEN TO CHINA?' :D

You know what though, if he does test positive for it and was in the UK from 31st December - and been back working and living normal life (apparently) its hardly making a rampant move through the population. I think this one has made the news because some kind neighbour filmed it and put it online, whereas the other 100 people who have been tested in the UK have been a quiet affair. Very good of said neighbour to take part in shi**ing up the community LOL

MyNameIsTerry
28-01-20, 19:21
Aye :roflmao: So during this unrelated matter the GP just happened to ask if he'd been to China, for no reason at all? Like, he went about his ingrown toe-nail and the GP randomly said 'HAVE YOU BEEN TO CHINA?' I think more like this person has panicked and believes they have this virus and told the GP they'd been to China etc etc.

This is what he said:

"Once I got back I was really ill with, what I thought, was a bad case of the flu. At that stage coronavirus hadn't really been mentioned so I thought nothing of it.

"However, when I went to the GP on Monday and he asked as a precaution if I had been to China, he seemed really concerned."I was sent home and before I knew it, ambulances and people in hazmat suits had turned up."I'm now in isolation at the QE and just waiting to get my blood test results."I don't feel particularly unwell now, but I've not been 100 per cent since returning from Wuhan."Since I got over the worst symptoms I've been back to work, shopping, just normal life."It's a really worrying time and not a nice experience."

I wonder if they are busy rounding up everyone he has come into contact with in a month?

I think my money might be on a bloke had a cold in Winter. :winks:

I went to school with a Chinese guy who now works not far away in the family take away and has frequently flown back & forth, and even worked, in China for years. I'd better book an appointment in...:biggrin:

Perhaps 'could it be China?' will be replacing 'could it be cancer?' Not sure Stand Up To China will have the same ring to it though :whistles:

(P.S. I bet they don't sort that guys ingrowing toe nail out either :winks:)

Carys
28-01-20, 19:29
he asked as a precaution if I had been to China

...as you would, you know, maybe they should ask every person at reception before they even get to the doctor ! :roflmao:as a precaution LOLOLOL

Yeah, I went and read the article after a quick google, he's sending pictures from his hospital isolation unit and looking really quite cheerful, although he says
It's a really worrying time and not a nice experience. - I would go as far as saying he's milking it !

Charlie made a point earlier and you've reiterated it now, this type of thing with the media stirred-up madness makes people view other races with fear. (I had a chinese take-away two weeks ago, am I ok ?)

fishman65
28-01-20, 19:32
I'm glad that the group is manageable. I'm sure you felt better being away from news sources and media scaremongering. Remember that the aim is to whip up frenzy and panic to gain viewers/readers/listeners.
Thank you Pulisa. I did feel good at the group, it should be the other way round? Yes this whole thing with the virus has got me not knowing what day it is. I think the internet plays a huge role in health anxiety and in fact anxiety period. Pre-internet China would have seemed such a long way off but the world shrinks online doesn't it.

____

MyNameIsTerry
28-01-20, 19:45
...as you would, you know, maybe they should ask every person at reception before they even get to the doctor ! :roflmao:as a precaution LOLOLOL

It makes you wonder what symptoms the GP was picking up considering the guy says he went for something unrelated? And considering the overlap of coronavirus in terms of symptoms will GP's be asking everyone as you say? Blimey, they might have reconsider the notice in my surgery which says they don't want to see you for colds and to see a pharmacist instead. They will have to put *unless you have been to China recently. :biggrin:

Yeah, I went and read the article after a quick google, he's sending pictures from his hospital isolation unit and looking really quite cheerful, although he says - I would go as far as saying he's milking it !

Charlie made a point earlier and you've reiterated it now, this type of thing with the media stirred-up madness makes people view other races with fear. (I had a chinese take-away two weeks ago, am I ok ?)

Yes, he's now famous. Dancing On Ice next year for him :yesyes:

That's true about what Charlie said. It's like how the press demonise a group and then the subconscious pops out a thought when you see one of the group in real life e.g. young black men, hoodies, etc. The racist types will just see it as an 'in' to abuse people too.

fishman65
28-01-20, 20:45
You've just reminded me, I had a Chinese meal on Saturday the 18th. Along with Mrs F, our son and his lady friend. So 10 days ago, we're all fine?

This is a bit naughty but gave me a welcome chuckle, those Danes have a sense of humour https://www.thelocal.dk/20200128/china-demands-apology-over-danish-newspapers-cartoon-flag-insult

Carys
28-01-20, 20:52
You've just reminded me, I had a Chinese meal on Saturday the 18th. Along with Mrs F, our son and his lady friend. So 10 days ago, we're all fine?

Did you have it in Wuhan ?

pulisa
28-01-20, 20:57
You have to learn to laugh about it, Fishman..and you are!

Are Chinese takeaways being surrounded and closed down in their hundreds due to random coronavirus spores infiltrating the ingredients..? Is it like a Salisbury incident? Are people in your town wearing masks? I expect it's business as usual everywhere? No official Government Health warnings either..

fishman65
28-01-20, 21:15
Thankfully not in Wuhan Carys, too many roasted snakes. It was a takeaway and I had to fight my way through all the 'spacemen' Pulisa.

And before this post gets taken down, I have nothing against Chinese people whom I think are lovely. The people running the takeaway have been there over 20 years.

Crikey I'm supposed to be panicking aren't I.

Carys
28-01-20, 21:21
Thankfully not in Wuhan Carys

....then yeah, it s a foregone conclusion you can't have picked up the virus. :winks:

I feel incredibly deeply sorry for those people in Wuhan actually, stuck inside on lock-down and probably really worried. Spare a thought there, as what reason do you have to panic about it, really ? They are there living through the situation.

fishman65
28-01-20, 23:30
Very true Carys and I do of course feel great sympathy for them. I just hope this outbreak peaks as soon as possible but I fear it will be months before any kind of normality returns in China.

WiredIncorrectly
29-01-20, 00:00
it's more likely you've got the regular ol' flu.

Regular ol' flu is the strain women get. Men get man flu and according to my partner turn into drama queen's. I can easily wind her up by saying "My flu is worse than yours mine is man flu. You just had a normal flu" :roflmao:

lebonvin
29-01-20, 01:24
Thankfully not in Wuhan Carys, too many roasted snakes. It was a takeaway and I had to fight my way through all the 'spacemen' Pulisa.

And before this post gets taken down, I have nothing against Chinese people whom I think are lovely. The people running the takeaway have been there over 20 years.

Crikey I'm supposed to be panicking aren't I.

They don't roast snakes in China man. They boil the schmucks. Tastes like chickin. Youd never know it was a snake lessen the bones

lebonvin
29-01-20, 01:26
ok so yous got a suspected case in UK now lovin it!

Carys
29-01-20, 06:49
Not yet, just 100 or so people being tested as a precaution, but I'm sure it s a matter of time before there are a handful of cases just as with other outbreaks in the past. They reckon it'll peak in around 10 days, but consider that out of a population of nearly 12 million people (in Wuhan) only 9 thousand have contracted it thus far, and around 150 vulnerable have died - thats really pretty good in my eyes in terms of trying to contain it.

Toby2000
29-01-20, 07:31
Not many people seem to be panicking about it now, as with most "fad scares" creates by the media (e.g. WW3)

Toby2000
29-01-20, 07:33
I'm concerned about the fact that different countries are bringing their citizens who were there temporarily, back from China... that seems like a big risk to me

Carys
29-01-20, 09:23
Its been done before, for other health scares - there are stringent practices in place for how its done and where and how long isolations take place, and testing etc. The fact is, despite the crazy media hype, out of 12 million people, if 9 thousand have contracted it, then the chances of anyone on a plane coming home having it is statistically very low and its better to get them back before the peak of the incidents. Also, I would have thought better to get people back in a logged and monitored way, than appearing here and there 'unrecorded' from that area. So, we aren't medical experts, but just like SARS, Ebola and such-like, those who know how to do this safetly will be giving advice. There is some irony to my mind that this all began from illegal trading in wildlife, the human race.....

Lala1
29-01-20, 10:39
I don’t post often as I am usually on top of my HA however this virus has literally brought me to my knees. I’m in Australia and we have 6 known cases that are in isolation. I developed a summer cough about a month ago prior to news of this virus which doesn’t go away despite medical treatment. The worst things are going through my mind. I haven’t travelled to China and I don’t believe that I have been exposed to anyone with the virus but I am so freaked out. There is a flu bug and my pharmacist told me that a lot of people are coughing or have pneumonia but that only puts my mind at ease for short while until I watch the news or watch reports on social media. Please could someone put my mind at ease?

Carys
29-01-20, 10:46
Lala, go back and read this thread, that would be my advice firstly as there are posts from worriers and those giving reassurance.

Its under control, and I hear that Australia has a handy island they will be using for quarantining their repatriated nationals ! ;) This type of thing has happened before, I don't know how old you are but those of us who are over 40 (and over 50 and 60) will recall quite a few times of major 'scary viruses' (including HIV before it was understood!) which have been controlled and then treatments found. They are ontop of this and it will be old news soon. There is plenty of advice and experience in dealing with new human illnesses, from very intelligent people who understand how to protect the public. The death toll actually isn't any higher than standard flu and is affecting the usual vulnerable people, old and those with respiratory compromises !

Lala1
29-01-20, 10:48
Thank you Carys, I appreciate your sensible reply and will read the entire thread.

Carys
29-01-20, 10:50
Oh and meanwhile, those clever medical researchers, in your very own country.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51289897

"We've planned for an incident like this for many, many years and that's really why we were able to get an answer so quickly," said Dr Mike Catton of the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity.

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51289897)

MyNameIsTerry
29-01-20, 13:14

This is a bit naughty but gave me a welcome chuckle, those Danes have a sense of humour https://www.thelocal.dk/20200128/china-demands-apology-over-danish-newspapers-cartoon-flag-insult

Naughty but I did have to laugh! :biggrin:

MyNameIsTerry
29-01-20, 13:18
Did you have it in Wuhan ?

What do you take me for? It was a Ming. Microwave and dishwasher safe too!

http://i0.wp.com/eveningharold.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/del-boy.jpg

emmc
29-01-20, 14:03
My partner over the last couple days had a cough and now has got the worst cold symptoms ever and I’m worried it’s coronavirus. We both attend uni and this has got my health anxiety so bad as there’s a lot of international students with our uni having loads of partnerships with Chinese universities. we recently went back to uni before they even started monitoring this virus so Many would have travelled back to where I’m from before any actual prevention now I’m worried that we don’t even know if someone could have possibly brought it back and maybe that’s what he has.

crazygal
29-01-20, 14:29
When I first heard about the virus I wasn’t concerned about it. But now I just heard about British airways stopping flights from China. This makes me a bit worried now. Because in my lifetime I’ve heard about a airline banning flights because of a virus.

Then I made the mistake of watching a video by a conspiracy theorist about this virus. She was saying things like the media is downplaying the virus.

Now I’m freaking out. I just got over my stroke fears now the corona virus is sending me into a frenzy.

what makes matters worse I’m a teacher. And anyone who has worked in a school knows that schools are cesspool for germs.

I’m just curious if any of you are freaking and how are you coping?

Carys
29-01-20, 14:42
https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?233967-Coronavirus-worries

See the thread above, lots of thoughts on it.

This one also......which talks about your conspiracy theory angle....media down-playing it ? LOL Like, how and why would that ever be possible, the media downplaying ??? :roflmao:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?234100-Husband-nervous-about-the-virus-and-chinese-food

Also this one, for a more light-hearted view...

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?234102-I-got-some-crazy-flu-like-illness

Personally, I'm doing good; the same as every other epidemic scare over the decades- trusting the medics, the researchers, government actions taken, reading good solid media reports and generally saving my thoughts for those in China right now. As for banning of flights, the first rule of infection control - stop any transmission routes. It doesn't make it more dangerous, its just good practice and sensible. I'd be far more worried if they weren't taking this action.

Scass
29-01-20, 16:54
The media never downplay viruses, I’m sure they are the ones making our anxieties sky high!

fishman65
29-01-20, 18:57
Last night I felt good about the situation, today not so much. The minute I see the news my anxiety shoots up.

Carys
29-01-20, 18:59
Well, then you need to go back and start at the start of this thread, and read it all over again.......

jray23
29-01-20, 20:01
There is no need for worry, even among those of you experiencing coughs.

However let's be realistic, that 6,000 sick number is NOT accurate at all. The CCP has been hiding info. Many sick in Wuhan aren't able to be tested, or able to get in front of a doctor. They aren't rapid-building two hospitals for nothing. Chartered jets out of the city to homelands aren't for nothing. Companies like Starbucks closing up shop in Wuhan aren't for a few thousand sick people. Estimates coming from medical staff in Wuhan/Hubei as well as many experts outside of China are estimating currently between 60-90k sick.

However, most cases are still mild and very few deaths, relatively speaking (although those numbers are also underreported). And in many countries like Aus, UK, US, this thing should be under control other than a few sporadic cases. We'll know for sure in a few more days - if it's super contagious then our countries will be seeing more cases as the two-week incubation period expires. So far there have only been 4 new cases passed on between people not having traveled in Wuhan.

pulisa
29-01-20, 20:11
I was in London yesterday and it was business as usual. No masks, no decontamination spraying, just the usual busy-ness and normality. I've got far worse things to worry about but I have the luxury of being in the UK and just hear developments on the news which I have the power to switch off. Not true for the poor victims in Wuhan who are the only ones truly suffering. We need to get some perspective and remember the true victims in all this?

Carys
29-01-20, 20:20
100 percent ! This is what has been talked about a number of times on this forum recently and in the past - HA is a self-centred anxiety state by its nature. What can be helpful in the process of getting some perspective is in putting yourself truly in the shoes of the real victims, thinking of others, empathising and counting your blessings and fortune.

Scass
29-01-20, 20:28
I was in London yesterday and it was business as usual. No masks, no decontamination spraying, just the usual busy-ness and normality. I've got far worse things to worry about but I have the luxury of being in the UK and just hear developments on the news which I have the power to switch off. Not true for the poor victims in Wuhan who are the only ones truly suffering. We need to get some perspective and remember the true victims in all this?

Yes so true. It must be terrifying to be in that city at the moment or even to be poorly with it or have lost loved ones.

I get why China are taking such extreme measures, but it must be so scary.

lebonvin
30-01-20, 01:12
I ain't a big fan of docs, nurses yes, docs are mostly arrogant barstewards what get paid too much. They gotta be overwhelmed rite now with scared folk and all I cans say is right on, you deserve it schmucks.

For some reason what I figure is to do with cost, all English speakin countries got general docs you gotta go to first. Other countries you go to doc related to your illness like eye doctor or internal med doctor. Feel sorry for them internal med doctors in other countries I can see lines of folk waiting to see them. But don't feel sorry for them generalist docs, in UK yous call them GP. Work for your coin schmucks!

lebonvin
30-01-20, 06:14
At time of writing they got 170 dead dudes outta 7711. So I done my 17 times table and you'd get 1 in 45 so we talking about just over 2% here. That's probably same as season flu.

AntsyVee
30-01-20, 06:34
They say the flu is worse than corona virus.

lebonvin
30-01-20, 07:15

Es corretto Vee

I was bein conservative

In any case the true infected figure gotta be way higher. Thousands of folk just staying at home with it till it pass. Who wants to go to a hospital and made to be stay there a month

lebonvin
30-01-20, 07:21
Myanmar just sent China 250,000 masks for health worker. They might haves to
send to USA coz it's all panic buying. How's about UK? I don't believe they do jack shit anyway. You can't eat with a mask on

Carys
30-01-20, 08:46

More people have now been infected in China than during the Sars outbreak in the early 2000s, but the death toll remains far lower. - Say WHO. I'm sure there are loads more than the 'confirmed cases', not everyone is getting treatment or being 'confirmed' only those who are having issues with it.

I don't believe they do jack shit anyway.

Some masks do and some don't apparently, depends on what they are made from and their 'grade' and intended purpose. Someone once told me that those papery ones, once they are damp from breathing are entirely ineffective and possibly makes 'some difference' for minutes but a virus can pass through after that. The ones surgeons and doctors wear are thought to be quite effective at stopping droplets passing. They also seem to give people a false sense of security, and actually transmitting things on hands is more likely.

Neverending_story
30-01-20, 10:12
Hi all

So very very anxious at the moment

Long and short of it is myself and my husband are flying out to Thailand (Phuket) on Tuesday as his father is dying, I am terribly worried I will get this virus going around.

I know the majority of cases are in Wuhan China but there is confirmed cases in Phuket already eeeekkkkk!

Dont want to die whilst I am out there :scared15:

BlueIris
30-01-20, 10:19
If you're not very old, very young or very sick already, you're exceptionally unlikely to die from it.

Carys
30-01-20, 10:24
.....and it seems statistically.....you are less likely than 'standard flu' even if you are very young, old or sickly.

....and there are confirmed cases in Germany and many other nations, but they are in isolation.

I can understand your concern saying the above, but my honest advice would be to ensure you have good travel insurance, and check out the foreign office travel advice, here -

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/thailand-safe-travel-latest-advice-foreign-office-china-coronavirus-virus-outbreak-1372615

Take a list of contact numbers with you for use IF you get ill. There are currently no travel restrictions there apparently, but the airport you are coming in at might be screening (possibly just people from China ?) Of course this is going to be something you will need to check up just before travel, with situations changing daily, but at the moment -

When it comes to travelling to Thailand, the FCO has not issued a warning against travel to Thailand relating to the coronavirus outbreak. However, previous advice relating to travel to certain areas of Thailand due to safety concerns still stands.

Neverending_story
30-01-20, 11:04
Thank you to you both :)

I keep checking the FCO website :) Still very concerning the media is making it sound like a Zombie movie!

BlueIris
30-01-20, 11:13
That's because the media profit from people reading their stories, so they make them as dramatic as possible.

lebonvin
30-01-20, 11:48
Es corretto Carys. Them surgical masks do the job. Them paper masks make folk feeling immune although they ain't.

The disruption to normal life is gonna be more of a problem than the hot damn virus. Travel restriction, cancellin sports events and all that shit.

Grumpy must be real pissed. No folk payin any attention to his impeachment gig

Neverending_story
30-01-20, 11:55
I read that out of the 20 odd cases currently in Phuket (where I am going) more than half of them have been released out of hospital as they have recovered, the remaining have been isolated in hospital.

I will keep a watch on the FCO and Phuket news :)

Thanks for replying once again

lebonvin
30-01-20, 12:37
20 bucks and a nut say that at some point your BoJo is gonna claim that his strict immigration policy is stopping UK folk from gettin infected

Carys
30-01-20, 12:56
Still very concerning the media is making it sound like a Zombie movie!

I know, its terrible the way the media does this, it helps nobody does it....especially those whose lives have to go on and they have to travel (like you)! I've just heard a really good interview about it on Radio 2, by some head virologist something or other. Anyway, he was talking some really good reassuring sense about it. I think you can rest assured that if there is any sign of needing to, there will be travel restricted further to be safe. I am presuming you have no medical conditions, compromised immunity, chronic illnesses or respiratory issues ? - in which case it seems that 98 percent of the people are shrugging it off.

Fishmanpa
30-01-20, 13:15
I say 'Phuket' the news and just go ;)

Positive thoughts

Jujube
30-01-20, 13:25
Good one, fishmanpa.

pulisa
30-01-20, 13:55
Maybe it is.

The general advice is just to wash your hands and keep your hands clean at all times but that's just common sense and routine hygiene.

The fact is that there are no confirmed cases in the UK. You can add "yet" if you choose to go to worst case scenario. It's not a foregone conclusion and even if there are cases these will be treated with modern medicine and isolation.

I'm more concerned about norovirus which has shut our local hospital and is on our doorstep.

pulisa
30-01-20, 14:06
Es corretto Carys. Them surgical masks do the job. Them paper masks make folk feeling immune although they ain't.

The disruption to normal life is gonna be more of a problem than the hot damn virus. Travel restriction, cancellin sports events and all that shit.

Grumpy must be real pissed. No folk payin any attention to his impeachment gig

No longer all about him is it? He must be desperate for attention.

Neverending_story
30-01-20, 14:55
I like it :)

Neverending_story
30-01-20, 14:56
I know, its terrible the way the media does this, it helps nobody does it....especially those whose lives have to go on and they have to travel (like you)! I've just heard a really good interview about it on Radio 2, by some head virologist something or other. Anyway, he was talking some really good reassuring sense about it. I think you can rest assured that if there is any sign of needing to, there will be travel restricted further to be safe. I am presuming you have no medical conditions, compromised immunity, chronic illnesses or respiratory issues ? - in which case it seems that 98 percent of the people are shrugging it off.

I take blood thinners for blood clots and have asthma but thats it - am I still safer you reckon?

Fishmanpa
30-01-20, 15:15
Just FYI... in case the media hasn't reported it and for some perspective, there is a virus spreading throughout the US that has affected over 15 million so far.... FLU!

Positive thoughts

Sunflower318
30-01-20, 15:33
Just FYI... in case the media hasn't reported it and for some perspective, there is a virus spreading throughout the US that has affected over 15 million so far.... FLU!

Positive thoughts

Yes! I'm very vigilant on handwashing and wiping things down when we have visitors. We try to avoid parties and public stuff during cold/flu season. We schedule drs visit during the summertime if we can. wipe down grocery carts. There alot of preventing measures to try to stop germs. I think if most people did these things flu wouldnt spread so fast.my life consists of staying home and grocery shopping. If anything comes home it will most likey be from the older kid that goes to public school! I still make her keep her backpack and coat on the porch and wash her hands and change clothes the second shes in the door. Its really all I can do to prevent illness.

Carys
30-01-20, 15:53
Oh gosh, I'm no medic I'm afraid, if it were me - I'd wait till end of the weekend and maybe see how things are going in that part of the world. If you have concerns I'm sure your GP wouldnt mind you calling for a quick telephone consulation, and you could ask about the asthma and their views ?

Neverending_story
30-01-20, 15:57
I dont use inhalers or anything its more when I walk fast or run (not that I do alot of that lol)
I shall see how it goes

Fishmanpa
30-01-20, 17:28
If all else fails, stock up on limes! ;)

Positive thoughts

WiredIncorrectly
30-01-20, 18:45
The flu is always something I've got on with. It's unpleasant, but I don't fear it or avoid places because of it (I avoid outdoors for other reasons).

My tin foil hat senses tell me this was a controlled outbreak. Biological warfare? Attack on their own people for population culling? Always coming from bloody China too.

Ok the hat is off now.

jray23
30-01-20, 18:50
Hm. edited my post and deleted it I guess. Mentioned that I just found out that the hospital complex I went to for a doctor's visit this morning is the same one that the "Chicago woman" here in US that has coronavirus is isolated at...and that her husband just got it for the first non-Wuhan direct infection in the US ... so fun times...

Edit... ok sitting here thinking about being there today is starting to make me a little nervous...heh. More about how many people I'd accidentally pass it on too if I actually did pick it up than anything for myself.

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-20, 19:27
Remember it's less effective at killing you than the simple no bells & whistles flus we get every year. I've had pneumonia as an asthma sufferer and a week in hospital and the resulting months resolving low platelets wasn't much fun but I'm still here. My elderly mother beat her pneumonia on top of COPD, blood pressure issues, lack of mobility, etc. Anything will always claim more people with weaknesses but many survive them too.

I wonder how many other illnesses have killed people in our countries and yet no one seems to be as bothered about them because there is this coronavirus? Why worry about a lower mortality rate illness over something worse? Could the link be because it's being thrust down your throats as a big killer virus by journalist who profit from you reading their nonsense fear peddling?

I think it was pulisa who earlier commented how this was at least masking WW3. Funnily enough Iran recently attacked the US again and rather than the multiple doom laden threads we expereinced last time we had a giant tumbleweed. But then the media are going buts about coronavirus and the attack barely seemed to feature. Could that be an important point to consider?:whistles::winks:

Carys
30-01-20, 19:27
My tin foil hat senses tell me this was a controlled outbreak. Biological warfare? Attack on their own people for population culling? Always coming from bloody China too.

Errrm, no , definitely not LOL and actually I honestly don't think you should use that phrase about China - the sentiment isn't nice. It is no doubt having a devastating impact on their economy right now, and nobody would want that to happen. Conspiracy theories like this will set people off Wired :winks:

Apparently its not surprising, according to a virologist expert, that these things start in China. It was explained as 'their interaction with wildlife that shouldn't be there (they've taken illegally) and the huge population living in close proximity' is a major factor. This guy I heard interviews actually said that after SARS it was expected that China would probably be the next source. This time I've heard that its traced to bats at the market - but don't know if thats accurate or not ?!

Carys
30-01-20, 19:36
Mentioned that I just found out that the hospital complex I went to for a doctor's visit this morning is the same one that the "Chicago woman" here in US that has coronavirus is isolated at...and that her husband just got it for the first non-Wuhan direct infection in the US ... so fun times...

....but she's 'isolated at it'.

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-20, 19:37
This time I've heard that its traced to bats at the market - but don't know if thats accurate or not ?!

I noticed an article floating on my feed last night about bats and why they carry so many viruses that don't affect them and coronavirus was mentioned.

Lets hope (if so) China don't respond with cullings or (shock horror) perhaps resort to some better animal rights laws...

jray23
30-01-20, 19:39
That's not entirely true that flu kills more, by percentage, at least at the moment flu is much weaker by percentage, but I'm sure with treatment plans and knowledge learned the nCov rate will go down.

I think it's more of just the weird mind shift that's hit from reading all that I have of it with a mindset of it being a distant matter...when for the past two weeks it's actually been right here in my backyard. As they say ignorance is bliss!

Carys
30-01-20, 19:46
Lets hope (if so) China don't respond with cullings or (shock horror) perhaps resort to some better animal rights laws...

Yes, I thought of the irony of the situation, they are responsible for abuse of these wild animals and now look what has happened......nature biting back. It would be so good to hear about the consideration of animal rights laws !!!

I think it's more of just the weird mind shift that's hit from reading all that I have of it with a mindset of it being a distant matter...when for the past two weeks it's actually been right here in my backyard. As they say ignorance is bliss!

Yes, I can see that - a sudden realisation that this BIG scary thing that media are talking about is right next door.

pulisa
30-01-20, 19:54
It's probably down to residual spores from Brexit or global warming..or Kay Burley.

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-20, 20:08
That's not entirely true that flu kills more, by percentage, at least at the moment flu is much weaker by percentage, but I'm sure with treatment plans and knowledge learned the nCov rate will go down.

Hopefully the 2% is reduced as they collect more data since it's expected to be an overestimate. However, looking at flu deaths alone in the UK we see around 8000 a year.

No one seems as concerned about 8000 but then the press don't jump up & down about it unless it's a bad year anyway.

Phoenixess
30-01-20, 20:27
So paranoid tonight about Coronavirus ! Been emailed that people at my UNI from wuhan have been put into isolation and then I had a runny nose tonight I wish I wasn’t this paranoid xx

jray23
30-01-20, 20:34
So paranoid tonight about Coronavirus ! Been emailed that people at my UNI from wuhan have been put into isolation and then I had a runny nose tonight I wish I wasn’t this paranoid xx

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSo we're in a club now Phoenix of people being isolated nearby us! [emoji1]

Phoenixess
30-01-20, 20:36
So we're in a club now Phoenix of people being isolated nearby us! [emoji1]

I don’t wanna be in this club[emoji22][emoji22][emoji22][emoji22] where are you dude??

jray23
30-01-20, 20:36
Hopefully the 2% is reduced as they collect more data since it's expected to be an overestimate. However, looking at flu deaths alone in the UK we see around 8000 a year.

No one seems as concerned about 8000 but then the press don't jump up & down about it unless it's a bad year anyway.Yes. Over 8,000 flu deaths in the US already, always over 10,000. Even if coronavirus explodes uncontrollably it likely wouldn't be anything much different than how we treat the flu these days.

There are already several pharma companies and governmental health organizations that are expecting vaccines to be done in a few months as well.

jray23
30-01-20, 20:37
I don’t wanna be in this club[emoji22][emoji22][emoji22][emoji22] where are you dude??

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHahaha yeah better to not be in it than be in it but it's still ok! I'm in the Chicago suburbs, USA.

Phoenixess
30-01-20, 20:39
Hahaha yeah better to not be in it than be in it but it's still ok! I'm in the Chicago suburbs, USA.

I’m really getting paranoid that I have a sore throat now!!! Yet no one in the UK has it yet they say the only way I would have caught it is through the air or if I touched something and then touched my mouth or my face

WiredIncorrectly
30-01-20, 20:46
I’m really getting paranoid that I have a sore throat now!!! Yet no one in the UK has it yet they say the only way I would have caught it is through the air or if I touched something and then touched my mouth or my face

Almost everybody I know has reported having this virus I have it. My friend next door. My 2 brothers. My partner. My mother. They all report the same symptoms I've got. Non of them are actually over it either. My brother said he's had it 4 weeks. My friend who seen me today said he's had it since before Christmas and he's still having flu like symptoms.

It's that time of year, but this isn't a normal flu. I'm not saying it's coronavirus lmao I'm not worried over it. I'm just saying whatever we've had is a different type of flu.

Phoenixess
30-01-20, 20:48
Almost everybody I know has reported having this virus I have it. My friend next door. My 2 brothers. My partner. My mother. They all report the same symptoms I've got. Non of them are actually over it either. My brother said he's had it 4 weeks. My friend who seen me today said he's had it since before Christmas and he's still having flu like symptoms.

It's that time of year, but this isn't a normal flu. I'm not saying it's coronavirus lmao I'm not worried over it. I'm just saying whatever we've had is a different type of flu.

I defo had a horrible cold/flu virus two weeks ago it left me in bed all week and having panic attacks! So perhaps it’s lingering? Or I’m run down and now caught the Coronavirus?!? Panicking now

WiredIncorrectly
30-01-20, 20:51
Remember it's less effective at killing you than the simple no bells & whistles flus we get every year. I've had pneumonia as an asthma sufferer and a week in hospital and the resulting months resolving low platelets wasn't much fun but I'm still here. My elderly mother beat her pneumonia on top of COPD, blood pressure issues, lack of mobility, etc. Anything will always claim more people with weaknesses but many survive them too.

I wonder how many other illnesses have killed people in our countries and yet no one seems to be as bothered about them because there is this coronavirus? Why worry about a lower mortality rate illness over something worse? Could the link be because it's being thrust down your throats as a big killer virus by journalist who profit from you reading their nonsense fear peddling?

I think it was pulisa who earlier commented how this was at least masking WW3. Funnily enough Iran recently attacked the US again and rather than the multiple doom laden threads we expereinced last time we had a giant tumbleweed. But then the media are going buts about coronavirus and the attack barely seemed to feature. Could that be an important point to consider?:whistles::winks:

This is why I have a tin foil hat Terry.

jray23
30-01-20, 20:52
Fwiw from what I have read, sore throat and runny nose are not symptoms of coronavirus anyway. [emoji106]

Phoenixess
30-01-20, 20:53
Fwiw from what I have read, sore throat and runny nose are not symptoms of coronavirus anyway. [emoji106]

Thank you [emoji120]

Carys
30-01-20, 20:54
Fwiw from what I have read, sore throat and runny nose are not symptoms of coronavirus anyway.

I read that too ! The standard cold symptoms don't seem to happen with it.

fishman65
30-01-20, 20:56
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019 I found this though 'may' be a few days old. Very reassuring with no hyperbole, no mention of the apocalypse. I feel better about things tonight, I keep going in panic cycles. But basically its the same procedures of hand washing/hygiene that you'd use to avoid a cold.

I was talking to my Dad today. He's 90 now and I admitted to him that I'd grown up in a relatively safe world in regard to diseases. He got talking about his time in the RAF Regiment when one of the other lads was sent back to England with a case of flu. They heard a few months later he'd died of polio. Also when he and my Mum went on their honeymoon to the south coast and a smallpox alert went out. Now that WAS deadly. But my Dad lived with that risk element?

MyNameIsTerry
30-01-20, 21:08
The thing is, fishman, they were used to it weren't they? You grow up in the society of the time and it's how life is to you. And that generation went through WWII with bombing raids, loved ones fighting abroad or in camps or coming back with potentially horrific injuries, rationing and naff all unlike our lovely stocked shelves. You will have seen the 70/80's with high unemployment, the collapse of industry and the protests, the IRA, the Cold War, etc.

It must be like how many people come to places like the UK when they are used to harsh conditions. They come hardened and must wonder at how easy it is to get everywhere and how much is available. I often wonder how spoiled we must look to people coming from poorer areas of the world who spend their days just surviving.

Like your dad the choice would be to live like a robot or take a chance and take from life what you can. Why not have some happiness even if times are harsh? If not why bother doing anything. Just get up, go to work and wait for death. No point having families or falling in love. But rather than the doom perhaps it's sharpens the need to live? It must mean much more to people who strive to survive than when you just take it for granted until one of life's nasty events brings it back into focus? So perhaps there is much to learn from people at the sharper end of life whether they are here or somewhere else?

WiredIncorrectly
30-01-20, 21:28
I defo had a horrible cold/flu virus two weeks ago it left me in bed all week and having panic attacks! So perhaps it’s lingering? Or I’m run down and now caught the Coronavirus?!? Panicking now

If you've had a cold/virus 2 weeks ago then I'd be inclined to think that your body is still fighting off and repairing. A cold/flu can progress to other infections such as ear, throat, sinus or chest. Those are the most common to progress from a flu ... I think. I honestly wouldn't worry.

fishman65
30-01-20, 22:23
The thing is, fishman, they were used to it weren't they? You grow up in the society of the time and it's how life is to you. And that generation went through WWII with bombing raids, loved ones fighting abroad or in camps or coming back with potentially horrific injuries, rationing and naff all unlike our lovely stocked shelves. You will have seen the 70/80's with high unemployment, the collapse of industry and the protests, the IRA, the Cold War, etc.

It must be like how many people come to places like the UK when they are used to harsh conditions. They come hardened and must wonder at how easy it is to get everywhere and how much is available. I often wonder how spoiled we must look to people coming from poorer areas of the world who spend their days just surviving.

Like your dad the choice would be to live like a robot or take a chance and take from life what you can. Why not have some happiness even if times are harsh? If not why bother doing anything. Just get up, go to work and wait for death. No point having families or falling in love. But rather than the doom perhaps it's sharpens the need to live? It must mean much more to people who strive to survive than when you just take it for granted until one of life's nasty events brings it back into focus? So perhaps there is much to learn from people at the sharper end of life whether they are here or somewhere else?You're spot on Terry, the harder the life the bigger the prize I think. And today my Dad's not fretting about this coronavirus because he's experienced hiding under stairs while German bombers fly over on their way to Coventry. He's seen a doodle-bug flatten a row of shops in his home town.

And then there's his own father who was in the trenches in WW1, lived through the Spanish flu pandemic and spent the rest of his life in and out of psychiatric hospital with shell-shock. Three years was his longest spell as an inpatient. We've had it too easy.

Matthew1233
30-01-20, 22:54
Right so why are governments bringing back inflected people, the ones in the US are apparently NOT going into quarantine, that's ludicrous and just begging for the virus to spread. What is going on?

lanerbanana
30-01-20, 23:55
from what i heard france is gonna quarantine, but the US not doing so, if true, isn't suprising
unless the WHO makes us
maybe they're just gonna tell the (mostly diplomats and maybe a few ppl living there for other reasons) travellers to stay home and make sure that they're not sick and if they are, see a doctor, basically use your common sense and keep yourself and others safe.

lebonvin
31-01-20, 00:22
Apparently its not surprising, according to a virologist expert, that these things start in China. It was explained as 'their interaction with wildlife that shouldn't be there (they've taken illegally) and the huge population living in close proximity' is a major factor. This guy I heard interviews actually said that after SARS it was expected that China would probably be the next source. This time I've heard that its traced to bats at the market - but don't know if thats accurate or not ?!

Es corretto

The gig with China is that the poorest folk out in the wilds used to or still do lives with pigs, chickens etc. inside their own home.

Sunflower318
31-01-20, 01:15
My husband is still very concerned and he wants me to take our daughter out of school if it comes to our state. Hes convinced that this is going to kill everyone it touches and mutate to the point we all end up with feathers and scales and walk around mooing.

jray23
31-01-20, 02:06
I haven't heard that from the USA evacs. I read they were being quarantined at a military base in California for 14 days to ensure they don't develop symptoms.

jray23
31-01-20, 02:08
My husband is still very concerned and he wants me to take our daughter out of school if it comes to our state. Hes convinced that this is going to kill everyone it touches and mutate to the point we all end up with feathers and scales and walk around mooing.You've got greater worries from anti-vaxxers making your daughter's school susceptible to measles than you do of coronavirus, especially one that kills everyone or mutates us into feathery creatures.

lebonvin
31-01-20, 03:38
Yep what I predicted already happening. Chinese being given shit on the streets and shops and chow joints not letting them in. In Asian countries like Vietnam and Thailand where their hated any roads. I know some folk is fulla schadenfreude to see them gettin a taste of their own medicine coz they is racist theirselfs but it don't make it right. As a black tranny I got given shit in China but don't hold no grudge. Racists is everywhere. Every race thinks it's the best, or the most normal.

lebonvin
31-01-20, 03:45
I'm guessing my media sources is different to other folk here, but any roads.

Japanese government sent charter plane to collect 200 nationals from Wuhan. They thought they'd be able to go home but is all holed up in a hotel near the airport for who knows how long. As if that don't sucks a rats ass, the name of the hotel got out. The owner ain't happy.

Sunflower318
31-01-20, 04:30
You've got greater worries from anti-vaxxers making your daughter's school susceptible to measles than you do of coronavirus, especially one that kills everyone or mutates us into feathery creatures.

Come on now. It could be super cool to have feathers! I personally have always want a big squirrel or fox type tail.

lebonvin
31-01-20, 05:13
While you Brits was asleep, WHO declared a state of emergency to scare countries what aint doing enough to get their finger out.

SARS fatalities was 10%, this still stuck at 2%.

The way I see it, the way countries deal with this shit is no more than a sign how paranoid and authoritarian they is. China and Philippines as you'd expect really freakin, other Asian countries is business as usual. If you feel sick put on a paper mask if yous can find one so as not to infect others and stay at home. To me that is common sense.

Apparently folk can't get masks because Chinese tourists in them countries for loonie new year is buying suitcases full

WiredIncorrectly
31-01-20, 08:08
You've got greater worries from anti-vaxxers making your daughter's school susceptible to measles than you do of coronavirus, especially one that kills everyone or mutates us into feathery creatures.

I'm not an anti-vaxer, but I nor my brothers haven't had any of the injections you're meant to growing it. Not through choice, but we didn't go to school to get them. Still not had them. My brother who had absolutely no vax growing up was a teacher, and now an officer. He still hasn't had them. We're just lucky cases no doubt, but the people who are refusing to vax their kids are not increasing any likely hood of your child getting the illness. If they've had the vax they'll be fine anyway :)

FWIW my son is all vaxed up.

pulisa
31-01-20, 08:32
Apparently Dettox spray protects against the coronavirus..or so it says on the bottle.

WiredIncorrectly
31-01-20, 08:57
Apparently Dettox spray protects against the coronavirus..or so it says on the bottle.

It's not pandemic at the moment so you'll be ok pulisa :) I found 2 great videos from a British doctor that discussed the virus in detail without the sensationalism. He's got another 2 he posted after this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPvpfC7NfR0

phil06
31-01-20, 09:47
It’s hit the Uk which is very worrying

Carys
31-01-20, 09:51
Its very unhelpful to come onto somebody elses' thread Phil and add this sort of statement (especially when they have to travel). It hasn't 'hit' the UK anyway, there are two confirmed cases which was to be frank - expected. What is very worrying is if it gets to countries that don't have robust healthcare systems. (Edited to add to the OP - Phil has severe contamination OCD.)

Toby2000
31-01-20, 10:53
Amazing... two confirmed cases in the UK

Carys
31-01-20, 11:04
Yes, as was fully expected. The prepared, forewarned, well-practiced in infectious diseases UK, with specialist staff, isolation units and treatment methods. I reckon we'll all be ok ;o)

BlueIris
31-01-20, 11:07
I'm not an anti-vaxer, but I nor my brothers haven't had any of the injections you're meant to growing it. Not through choice, but we didn't go to school to get them. Still not had them. My brother who had absolutely no vax growing up was a teacher, and now an officer. He still hasn't had them. We're just lucky cases no doubt, but the people who are refusing to vax their kids are not increasing any likely hood of your child getting the illness. If they've had the vax they'll be fine anyway :)

FWIW my son is all vaxed up.

Wired, I'm sorry to disagree, but it's a question of herd immunity - some kids are unable to have the virus due to immune system issues. These are the ones who are more likely to suffer serious consequences, too. I'm glad your son has had his vaccinations; he's helping keep the most vulnerable people in our community safe.

lebonvin
31-01-20, 11:14
A buddy got me some of them paper masks and told me to sell on the black market. That's funny. I'm black but so is she.

I'm beginnin to get a perverse satisfaction outta all this nonsense 😷😎😎👹

My next wish is for the casino they call the stock market to crash. Won't make no difference to us poor folk.

So it finally arrived in UK huh. How come it ain't news over hete

Your tv channels must be happy as pigs in shit

MyNameIsTerry
31-01-20, 12:34
I dont use inhalers or anything its more when I walk fast or run (not that I do alot of that lol)
I shall see how it goes

There is no reason you couldn't talk to your GP or pharmacist about what to do in the event of or get an answer from them on the current risk. But given your inhaler use you are going to be a mild asthma sufferer by the sounds of it therefore not the kind of compromised person who struggles up the stairs wheezing or needs stronger asthma medication.

So, just like when you have illnesses like cold and flu here the same applies with how you tackle your asthma. The inhaler is there if breathing support is needed. Anything upsetting your asthma and you seek medical support as you would here. You are going to have health insurance for you travel hopefully and would be sent back as others are being but you could just see what WHO are doing there to know what would happen.

WiredIncorrectly
31-01-20, 13:30
My next wish is for the casino they call the stock market to crash. Won't make no difference to us poor folk.

Me too!

lebonvin
31-01-20, 13:38
Good on yer dude! We got some serious gloatin to do in the next few weeks 😁😁

I dunno what I'm doing still up at this unearthly time but got jack shit all else to do lessen play online cards and get my ass whipped by clever schmucks in France.

My buddy who's a nice ex-guy is kinda dense but sometime come out with words of wisdom what I ain't gonna credit myself with.

"This virus ain't scary, it's folks reaction to it what is". Right on dude.

My greatest wish after a stock market crash is for our supreme commander Grumpsy to go down with it 😵😷😈😈😈😈

pulisa
31-01-20, 14:31
The Donald is invincible though..he'd tweet his way through all the symptoms and absolutely love it. No..the best thing would be for coronavirus to upstage the Impeachment Show.

MyNameIsTerry
31-01-20, 14:35
Good on yer dude! We got some serious gloatin to do in the next few weeks 

I dunno what I'm doing still up at this unearthly time but got jack shit all else to do lessen play online cards and get my ass whipped by clever schmucks in France.

My buddy who's a nice ex-guy is kinda dense but sometime come out with words of wisdom what I ain't gonna credit myself with.

"This virus ain't scary, it's folks reaction to it what is". Right on dude.

My greatest wish after a stock market crash is for our supreme commander Grumpsy to go down with it 

Exactly, Charlie! Your friend is right.

“When we think about the relative danger of this new coronavirus and influenza, there’s just no comparison,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and health policy at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. “Coronavirus will be a blip on the horizon in comparison. The risk is trivial.”

………….

“Familiarity breeds indifference,” Schaffner said. “Because it’s new, it’s mysterious and comes from an exotic place, the coronavirus creates anxiety.”

Dr Schaffner obviously understands the nature of fear. The threads on here back up what he says.

Shadowhawk
31-01-20, 15:35
I know we are all about thinking positive on this site, but right now, people are fooling themselves if they aren't worried about this. Being blunt, you would have to pay me significant sums of money to even think of going over there, let alone stay for a prolonged time.

I am sorry, but you don't quarantine a population exceeding NY, LA, and others COMBINED because people are getting the sniffles. China (and the world) has a real problem on their hands; one that i fear we don't actually know the scope of (when it comes to China, i don't believe their news. Frankly, i expect the numbers they are reporting to be far under what is ACTUALLY being seen). So far, this thing in one month, has exceeded the SARS cases in a whole year. The people who have been marked as recovered are less than the people who have died. And the current infection rate is growing at an exponential rate. We see people transmitting it with no symptoms, and with countries failing to halt international transit in time, the carriers are already here. Listening to the doctors and virologists reporting on this (because the mainstream media is caught up on the stupid political circus and failing to act in time) is scary as hell, and already kicked my butt into gear on getting ready.

Feel free to delete my post, or ban me because it might trigger people... but this is NOT an issue to ignore, and one that is just going away.

glassgirlw
31-01-20, 15:43

Yep, I had this as well. Mine started around New Years and I still have a lingering cough/runny nose. I don’t feel bad at all - just those few symptoms that keep hanging on!!

Carys
31-01-20, 16:33
Umm who is ignoring it ? The world is responding appropriately on all levels, including in terms of medical research of the virus.

I don't agree with anything you've said Shadowhawk, but lets be honest, until numbers have been crunched in a few days /weeks time then the true extent of the deaths and the percentage in comparison to SARS won't be know, so my opinion and your opinion have no proof either way at this point.

Personally, I believe strongly, that just as with other new illnesses that transmit to humans like Ebola and SARs and Zika, it will be dealt with. Ebola for example had an incredibly high mortality rate and at the moment all evidence points to this virus having a very low mortality rate, much lower than SARs. It is to be noted that of the 98 cases in other nations, there have yet to be any deaths to date. There is a much stronger ability, higher level of skill and awareness in how to deal with these types of zoonoses since the previous outbreaks and it is known that of course it won't just 'burn out' but needs the stringent measures being adopted to curtail human movement - hence the 'quarantining' of the population at the centre of the outbreak

You are a person who has a strong history of HA about many things, so, I respectfully suggest that your view on this new virus and fear of it may be mirroring your general HA fears.

Shadowhawk
31-01-20, 16:50
Umm who is ignoring it ? The world is responding appropriately on all levels, including in terms of medical research of the virus.
Who? The people in this thread saying its nothing, not to mention the way media is ignoring it.

I don't agree with anything you've said Shadowhawk, but lets be honest, until numbers have been crunched in a few days /weeks time then the true extent of the deaths and the percentage in comparison to SARS won't be know, so my opinion and your opinion have no proof either way at this point.
Plenty of numbers crunched, and the general community agrees these number are well UNDER what actually exists in china. And again, using the numbers reported, the case fatality rate (deaths/recovered) is over 50%.. more people left in body bags than on their feet (again, assuming fatality numbers are actually honest, which... we know they aren't).

Personally, I believe strongly, that just as with other new illnesses that transmit to humans like Ebola and SARs and Zika, it will be dealt with. Ebola for example had an incredibly high mortality rate and at the moment all evidence points to this virus having a very low mortality rate, much lower than SARs. It is to be noted that of the 98 cases in other nations, there have yet to be any deaths to date. There is a much stronger ability, higher level of skill and awareness in how to deal with these types of zoonoses since the previous outbreaks and it is known that of course it won't just 'burn out' but needs the stringent measures being adopted to curtail human movement - hence the 'quarantining' of the population at the centre of the outbreak

Ebola, while certainly more lethal, is harder to transmit (not to mention kills faster, which naturally limits its spread). This thing can sit more more thna a week, transmit in patients without outward symptoms, and cripples victims (regardless of fatality) potentially for weeks. While no one outside of China has reported to be dead YET, we are only seeing the tip of the ice berg.

You are a person who has a strong history of HA about many things, so, I respectfully suggest that your view on this new virus and fear of it may be mirroring your general HA fears.
Ok, then how about some virologist's opinions..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLwYS6TQyS0

Anyway, enjoy your head in the sand i guess.....

Carys
31-01-20, 17:55
media is ignoring it.

I don't know what media you are seeing, but ours are all over it sensationalising everything in minutia. Nobody on this thread has said its nothing, they've given unbiased responses not based on disapproportionate fear.

Plenty of numbers crunched, and the general community

Any stats gained at this time are not accurate or complete. Only in a number of days, weeks and months will the true facts come to light. There is inherent error in presuming stats are correct at this point in time. Any report I have seen says that it is those who are old and medically vulnerable who are passing from it, the same as with standard flu.

the case fatality rate (deaths/recovered) is over 50%.. more people left in body bags than on their feet

I don't know where you get this fact from, but it is nothing that has been reported in any reputable place I have read. Are you reading conspiracy theories as some others in the States are ?

Anyway, enjoy your head in the sand i guess.....

No head in the sand here Shadowhawk, just a sensible approach and mindset based on the advice and skill of those who actually know what they are doing. Your level of fear is entirely out of proportion with the threat, and advising someone to seek advice about travelling nearer the time is the correct thing to say. I personally refuse to live life in fear, especially over things I have no control over.

EDITED TO ADD - The original post by Shadowhawk seems to have been removed ? SO the last few posts will probably make little sense as the context is lost.

Shadowhawk
31-01-20, 18:36
I don't know what media you are seeing, but ours are all over it sensationalising everything in minutia. Nobody on this thread has said its nothing, they've given unbiased responses not based on disapproportionate fear.
Frankly, everyone writing it off in this thread as "nothing" is saying its nothing.

Any stats gained at this time are not accurate or complete. Only in a number of days, weeks and months will the true facts come to light. There is inherent error in presuming stats are correct at this point in time. Any report I have seen says that it is those who are old and medically vulnerable who are passing from it, the same as with standard flu.
I agree, the stats likely aren't accurate, but not in a way that helps us. China is desperately trying to save face, and are very keen to under-report numbers. That of course, aside from the fact that they literally cannot test everyone fast enough to produce complete numbers.

I don't know where you get this fact from, but it is nothing that has been reported in any reputable place I have read. Are you reading conspiracy theories as some others in the States are ?

I love how right off the bat, any troubling stats must be a "conspiracy theory". How about this (supported by Johns Hopkins University, among others): https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
213 Deaths : 187 Recovered

No head in the sand here Shadowhawk, just a sensible approach and mindset based on the advice and skill of those who actually know what they are doing. Your level of fear is entirely out of proportion with the threat, and advising someone to seek advice about travelling nearer the time is the correct thing to say.

Incorrect - my level of fear is entirely in proportion to what is going on, and being reported. The fact is, there is a virus as lethal as SARS, has spread nearly 5x as fast, and is yet to even be understood, let alone contained.

Beyond the health implications, supply lines are already feeling the pinch (with the New year "holiday" being extended another week), and closed boarders and shipping will only hurt us more. Computer industries are already expecting shortages based on this, and it hasn't even begun to get bad yet.

Again, have fun convincing yourself its nothing, but please don't fool other people who CAN still get ready in time to do the wrong thing. If you aren't taking this seriously, and working to get ahead of it NOW, your head IS in the sand.

Carys
31-01-20, 18:37
Again, have fun convincing yourself its nothing, but please don't fool other people who CAN still get ready in time to do the wrong thing. If you aren't taking this seriously, and working to get ahead of it NOW, your head IS in the sand.

Clearly you are closed to reason. Stop reading conspiracy theories, start reading some unbiased media sources and follow resonable advice from medical professionals around you.I've been here before, as have most people of my age, the doomseday attitude helps nobody.

Shadowhawk
31-01-20, 18:45
Clearly you are closed to reason. Stop reading conspiracy theories, start reading some unbiased media sources and follow resonable advice from medical professionals around you.I've been here before, as have most people of my age, the doomseday attitude helps nobody.

Johns Hopkins (WHO, CDC, et al) are conspiracy theories.. yeah... ok..
You have fun with that (good job ignoring everything i actually posted though....)

jray23
31-01-20, 18:54
New diseases always increase at exponential levels when they start out. It's the nature of statistics and compounding. If you'd like a glimmer of hope, the increases in reported cases in the past two have been smaller increases by percentage than the previous several days.

I think many of us understand that China is underreporting both cases and deaths. It's probably closer to 100k than 10k. But so far out of 98 international cases there are 0 deaths reported from any of those countries either (hope I didn't jinx that), so it's quite probable that the 2% rate is going to prove to be accurate.

And as far as "deemed recovered", three points:. 1). No one will be deemed recovered until the virus fully leaves their system. Many viruses take a few weeks to leave. Pneumonia, what this is being compared to, takes a month usually. If CCP hasn't been reporting before Jan. 8, it hasn't even been one month yet. 2). People with mild cases probably aren't even getting found and they simply recover and move on. 3). For anecdotal evidence, my "neighbor" quarantined over here a few miles from my home (who has spread it to her husband who is now also my "neighbor") has been reported to be in feeling much better and in very good condition. She's only had symptoms for less than two weeks.

So yes, this is serious because it's new and why would you want to just let it spread like wildfire so that another 500,000 people can die a year like the flu does. Of course banning travel is a good idea. But it's also not serious in the realm of "omg we are all gonna die apocalypse".

If you're getting anxiety over the news the best thing to do is to stop looking at the news. You'd never know coronavirus existed if you did that. Unfortunately I have to keep up with it because travel bans affect my job in planning a global conference coming up.

Carys
31-01-20, 19:06
Yes!

....also as WHO has made clear, this is about stopping the spread to countries without robust healthcare systems. In the US and UK we are very fortunate, and anyone who develops anything beyond the mild symptoms many are getting, can be treated effectively. There is no apolocalypse situation, and anyone who comes onto an anxiety forum and tries to make people feel that way is being grossly unfair.

Kiko22
31-01-20, 19:06
It arrived in Italy too... Two cases were confirmed this morning😷 but I agree with what was said above... It's not black plague, it's not an apocalypse