PDA

View Full Version : Fear of illness on holiday

Munki
22-01-20, 15:44
Hey guys,

Wondered if any of you have this panic when you're going away?

I'm going on a snowy action holiday so I'm getting all sorts of intrusive thoughts about accidents etc!

Do you second guess yourself? Tell yourself that it might NOT be anxiety, but a Final Destination style premonition?

This time round, I'm not actually very anxious. So I've told myself that I'm usually anxious and am fine. This time, if I'm not anxious, it could go wrong!

Aaaargh! Help! <3

Sending you all good non-anxious vibes x

Pamplemousse
22-01-20, 16:20
I do, especially when I don't speak the local language. Not a final destination type of thing, but "what if I become ill and can't explain my symptoms?" Last had that badly when I was working in Brazil a few years ago, and to some extent when I was in France, even though I can just about get by in French.

Munki
22-01-20, 16:45
Oh bless you! It’s a worry isn’t it! Aren’t we silly!

Pamplemousse
22-01-20, 19:47
Yes, we are. In Brazil a virus went round my colleagues and one or two were rendered quite ill by it but luckily, I escaped. Didn't stop the worry though. Then, having got it into my head that Seville Oranges have the same enzyme in them that grapefruit does that messes with certain drugs, I remember desperately trying to ring both my doctor and my pharmacist back home to see if I should go to hospital because I''d had Tarte à l'Orange for dessert one lunchtime, which was seemingly made with Seville Oranges... my brother-in-law responded on WhatsApp with a picture of a pie leaking blood from the crust, with a dagger above and the label The Pie Of Doom....

Yet the recipe here: https://www.750g.com/tarte-a-lorange-r1383.htm - only says "Oranges, organic if possible!"

Same reason I give 'Picon' a miss in France.

pulisa
22-01-20, 20:38
Quelle horreur!! This pie of doom would have to be made from proper blood oranges...

I take out health insurance for a day trip to France on Eurostar! Just to be on the safe side!:D