PDA

View Full Version : did i really have it???

camilla
24-01-05, 20:26
in one of the hospitals i got diagnoised with ptsd 2 and a half yrs ago.
but did i really have it????
i have been sexually abused twice a yr and a half before the diagnoises.
But not raped.
I was also had been hit when i was bullied at primary school. but only had small bruises.
isnt ptsd more tratmatic than these events. i am still very depressed now and the ptsd hasnt be mentioned to me for at least two yrs. does that mean they made a wrong diagnoises????
i am confused.
camilla

jude
24-01-05, 20:45
Hi Camilla,
I dont know whether you were wrongly diagnosed but I was told I could have PTSD because I had a premature baby that almost died.
Im sure being sexually abused is a severe trauma in itself, whether you were raped or not!
Try not to concentrate on the 'name' of your illness too much. You feel how you feel no matter what its called. At least you know you are not alone.
A very close friend of mine was abused as a child. I know he would call it traumatic. He had some very big issues that he had to overcome, but he did it. Never give up.
Take care
Jude

nomorepanic
24-01-05, 21:46
Camilla

Sorry but I am not an expert on this either.

It must have been terrible for you to be abused so I am sorry to hear that.

Perhaps you were not traumatised about this like people expect you to be and you now just suffer from anxiety.

Not all people that are abused get PTSD so don't get any hang-ups on it if you think it was wrongly diagnosed.

Wishing you well.

Nicola

Karen
25-01-05, 19:01
Hi Camilla

I'm sorry to hear about were abused. This must have been terrible for you.

I've been told I have PTSD and apart from the anxity and panic associated with it, I have nightmares and flashbacks.

As other have said I don't think it is necessary to worry about getting caught up with labels.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.