PDA

View Full Version : My story

Bill
02-10-07, 01:41
This gives a brief history.

Ever since I was born, I have had a fear of being left on my own. As a child I was afraid of using the school toilets and as a teenager I was so nervous of school and exams I’d often be sick, so without my parents knowing I’d take kaolin and morphine to settle my stomach.

I also hated being the last person to leave the house and having to lock up so I’d check and re-check over and over for fear of being blamed if something went wrong. I also developed a fear of illnesses and would often be sick if I saw programmes about illness on television.

I’ve always been a worrier, lived in fear and used to be painfully shy before I started work. It took a long time before I gained confidence, opened up and eventually held group meetings and trained others.

I first met my wife-to-be after she'd come out of hospital with paranoia and we were married in the same year we met.
I supported her as best I could but it was extremely difficult as she would often accuse me of being someone I wasn’t and of planning or trying to harm her. She would also believe that strangers were against her, even people on television or radio. I’d lock myself in the bathroom or walk out to avoid the mental bombardment but there was no escape or support to turn to. As a result of trying to cope alone with her illness, the lack of support we received from the “Professionals”, and the daily pressures of a full time job, my own health began to suffer.

I was under a lot of pressure to complete a project at work and I had too much on my mind so I was unable to concentrate on what was being said by colleagues who often told me that I appeared “distant” at meetings.

Also at this time we had a dog that we were very fond of but after owning him for only 2 years he started to become ill and we later lost him.

I started to suffer panic attacks in the office and I would contemplate suicide I went to see the doctor who prescribed an anti-depressant. He also signed me off but the attacks became worse and in the end I had to resign from my job.

Various anti-depressants were then prescribed with no lasting effects so as a last resort after trying them all I was given ECT treatment. When this also had no effect, the Mental Health Team decided that I was not suffering from a “clinical illness” but instead concluded that I was suffering from a “severe anxiety disorder”. I was therefore prescribed Valium, which unknowingly I became addicted to, but my health continued to deteriorate and my panic attacks worsened. I started to self-harm. I needed to vent my frustrations to somehow relieve my mental anguish so I took it out on myself with a hammer or knife, whatever I could find. For a time I also became agoraphobic and was afraid of walking down the road or going in shops for fear of suffering panic attacks.

I felt extremely frustrated and desperately isolated so I started having e-mail conversations with The Samaritans. Also to “dull the pain of life” I turned to drink and overdoses but after a doctor told me “One more of them and you might not still be here” I decided to try to help myself.
Looking back on this period, it seems incredible to me the things I did and how close I came to ending it all, but I was desperate as no one would ever listen to me or appeared to understand me. I felt I didn’t belong, alone and trapped. The frustrations and pressures became immense.

My first step to recovery was to attempt to come off the Valium, which I achieved after 6 months by gradually reducing the dosage. I also decided to turn my efforts to helping others by trying to prevent them from going through my experiences and also took up Voluntary work helping the sick and elderly. I tried to make sure that I obtained everything I could to help my wife and fought for help from Social Services.

I also began research into my uncle who was killed in an aircraft accident in 1944 and as a result I was interviewed on BBC and New Zealand radio which since I used to be extremely shy I regarded as a big achievement for me.

I have also started working in our local hospital, which I hope will bring me one step closer to a life of normality. As a hobby I turned to writing poetry which enabled me to offload feelings.

My wife is also more stable under her present medication, she now receives all the support she has always needed and I never do the things I used to or experience the panic attacks I used to have. I am also now finding a lot of satisfaction in being able to help others in my voluntary and hospital job. More recently I also supported my mother caring for my father who we lost a couple of years ago so I now also support my mother but I have learnt how to cope with my anxieties without support or medication. I still feel isolated but I do now take with me “hope” for a better future.

sandlin
02-10-07, 08:22
What an amazing story and you've come out the other side. Fabulous.xxxx

linda

honeybee3939
02-10-07, 09:34
Hi Bill

It just goes to show there is light at the end of that tunnel:yesyes: , thankyou for sharing your story with us, your an inspiration to us all !:)

All that hard work is paying off for you hun, so WELL DONE!

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

groovygranny
02-10-07, 17:13
Bill,

My goodness, I agree, what an inspiration you are!:)

You are walking evidence of how this awfull affliction can be overcome and trampled underfoot.

Your life has been 're-booted' so to speak and I have no doubt that your story will give much needed help and hope to others.

Thank you so much.

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Nibbles
02-10-07, 18:20
Hi Bill,

You've certainly come through a lot and your story is very inspirational. You should feel very proud for overcoming your fears and helping so many people.

Take care,

Mike :)

Southern_Belle
02-10-07, 23:47
Hi Bill,

Your story is amazing and gives everyone hope. To suffer so badly as a child through adulthood and still come through it shows that if we persevere we can conquer this thing we call anxiety.

Great Job!

Laura

Bill
03-10-07, 01:40
To be honest, I wasn't sure if I should join but after reading so many peoples problems and knowing what I've been through I felt I couldn't just ignore as I feel I might have something to offer. If Just one person finds something helpful in what I know then to me it'll have been worth joining.

I still have anxiety issues and I know I don't know everything but I hate to see others suffer so I feel I've got to at least Try to offer what I do know and if in return I make some friends as a result then I'm happy too!:)

shoegal
03-10-07, 02:03
Thank you for sharing your story and giving hope to others. :)

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

Bill
05-10-07, 01:24
Something important to say.

I am NO different from anyone else on this site. I did what I had to do to stop the spiral and survive. I therefore KNOW that if I'm capable of coping with my anxieties which I still have, then Absolutely Anyone on here can also.

You just need willpower and determination. Pat yourself on the back for what you think is just a minor achievement and so build your self esteem and confidence, learn a method to help you relax and most importantly learn to train your mind so you realise that all your symptoms are created by your thought patterns.

I'm not saying it's easy or works overnight but with the right mindset there's No reason why anyone should suffer and not find any enjoyment in life.
Just believe in yourselves because I DO!
:winks:

manmoor
05-10-07, 09:12
Bill what a truly amazing story :hugs: thanks for sharing with us. xxx