PDA

View Full Version : Are we what we eat ?

mirry
03-10-07, 09:39
Hi everyone , as most of you know, I have had a really bad blip in my anxiety and panic lately which really got me down.

On friday last week , I decided to follow the slimming world diet , doing red days which is mainly eating protien foods. I ate minced turkey with carrot and swede mash. Eggs, yogurts, chicken curry ect.
After 2 days eating like this I felt like I had more energy and my mood lifted ,
and i didnt feel so bloated. Yesturday I ate my normal diet , plently of carbs and today I feel tired :shrug: .

I just wonder if theres anything in this ?
How many people on here eat alot of carbs and little protien ?
How does it effect you ?

Alabasterlyn
03-10-07, 09:54
Hi Mirry, I do think what we eat does have an effect on how we feel and obviously affects our health in general too. I find carbohydrates make me feel tired too and eating any foods that take a long time to digest will make you feel tired as your body is busy digesting food.

I don't really eat many carbs during the day, but I do eat more with my evening meal and I am always tired afterwards.

PUGLETMUM
03-10-07, 10:56
:D hiya mirry,

you seem to be interested in the same things as me mirry! food and hormones!!! both of which play a massive part in my anxiety.

if my diet in a typical month consists of highly processed food eg crisps by the bucketload, take aways galore, little or no fruit and veg, and refined carbs, i feel like s***!!!!:wacko:

however if i eat none of the above,and add to my dietl oads of complex carbs, wheat, fibre (not bran it is no good for pms), seeds,nuts, chicken, fish,and loads of fruit and veg i feel 100% better and am better able to deal with my anxiety and panic and depression.

soi for one firmly believe that you are what you eat. but the biggest problem is this - COST!!!!!!(or so i thought!) my hubby had been made redundant from a well paid job that really meant we could afford for me to be agorophobic and still be able to eat all of the good stuff mentioned above,so i was getting anxious about how we were going to continue with our healthy lifestyle. well cost doesnt really need to be an issue because we have shops like aldi and lidl which i am now more than happy to shop at,and only wish id listened to my stingy sister and shopped there for tha last 7 years and saved myself a fortune!!!! so i dont intend giving up my healthy eating just because we wont have a healthy food budget each week, because you dont need one!!!

i firmly believe in diet and exercise because i refuse to take meds so i have to find a way to make myself feel better,and the way i do it through diet and exercise.:yesyes:

mirry
03-10-07, 11:23
from what I have learnt online so far is this ....

Protien gives us more energy.
Carbohydrates have a calming effect on us and make us feel tired.

I suppose I am trying to find the perfect anti anxiety diet, I have tried the low GI diet before and although it helped only slightly , I am sure there is something missing.
----------------------------------------
ALABAS,

I have read that eating carbs in the evening is the correct time to eat them, when you want to feel relaxed and sleepy SO it seems your doing it right :yesyes: .
---------------------------------------------
Emmas, I know food can cost so much money, especially lately where everything is increasing in cost due to floods, and foot and mouth ect.

Do you do any home baking at all ? I try to do my bit , I bake my own bread because it costs about 30p for a big loaf compared to £1.15 in the shops, and I can then avoid the E numbers in it and have less salt.
I buy most of my food from Tesco and buy their own range most of the time,
everything is alot cheaper that way.

my homones are totally up the shoot, I just dont know where I am, infact I was suppose to have a period 2 weeks ago, but do you ever notised how we eat more comfort foods before a period ? apparently that is because we need it to increase serotonin in the brain, cos our montlys deplete it:ohmy: .
Maybe we should all post what we have eaten on any single day and how we feel ? It would be really interesting:shades: .

mirry
03-10-07, 11:26
BREAKFAST TODAY , I HAVE EATEN........

1 Slice of white homemade bread with marg and sugar free cherry jam, one cup of tea (no sugar).

have felt very tired and off blanced, lethargic.

Alabasterlyn
03-10-07, 11:46
I always start my day off around 7am with a cup of hot water with the juice of half a lemon.

Around 9am I have 2 Oatibix with ground flax seeds and blueberries followed by a cup of tea.

I am very boring and rarely fluctuate from this routine :blush:

For lunch today, like every week day, I will have a Muller Fruit Corner, although I now buy the Muller One as they say it counts as one portion of fruit, followed by a banana and a de caff cup of tea.

Tonight we will have a salad for dinner and my partner will come home and his face will drop when he sees it's salad yet again :ohmy:

mirry
03-10-07, 11:56
lyn you must be really slim , is that all you eat ?

what does your salad consist of ? (sorry to be so nosey :blush: )

Alabasterlyn
03-10-07, 12:10
lyn you must be really slim , is that all you eat ?

what does your salad consist of ? (sorry to be so nosey :blush: )

My salad consists of one of those bags of mixed salad leaves, cucumber, tomatos, chopped ready to eat apricots, papaya or pineapple, walnuts, raisins, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flaked almonds and beetroot. I usually have a piece of chicken, tuna or even sausages with that and make some boiled new potatoes for my partner or he would think I was starving him :winks:

I am slim but I have to say I suffer from the evening munchies. I blame my other half as he always gets hungry in the evening and gets out the chocolate or the crisps :ohmy:

mirry
03-10-07, 12:42
what a healthy diet you eat :ohmy: but I notised you dont eat many carbs , that is probally why you are so slim.

Do you find all those healthy ingredients help you at all with your anxiety ?
Do you take any vitamins ?

I have just started taking a complex B vitamin pill form holland and barrett , slow release (what ever that means?)
I think the seeds have alot of b vitamins in them if I remember right ?

Today I had a tin of tuna , stir fried with beansprouts and spring onion , with a dash of soy sauce. It was really filling, so will see if my energy bucks up cos it needs to , have too much house work to tackle :wacko:

happyone
03-10-07, 13:13
yes...............I am a big fat bar of chocolate cos I have put on a lb this week:mad:
I will read this thread properly later and give a better reply!
Happyone
xx

PUGLETMUM
03-10-07, 16:11
:yesyes: this is funny mirry, we'll all be laughing at each other at what we all eat, and it could be an eye opener.

today ive had- muesli, i banana, and a cheese and ham sandwich on best of both bread. for tea im having chicken in sauce (from sainsburys on offer 2 for £5,very tasty and hopefully not any additives,ill have to check though)and im going to roast some swee tpotatoes and peppers(aldi), and at bed time im gonnahave a warm cup of milk. i will also have a yogurt with a spoon of linseeds in and maybe an apple, but i sort of have to make myself eat apples, and ive also had a centrum multi vit today.

the carbs tyou need mirry are: wholemeal bread, pasta,rice pittas. porridge oats or oats in anything, sweet potatoes and i know there are others but i cant remember. good ideaabout the bread baking but i havent got a machine, although i could get one off the in-laws for xmas say but that is a bit ofa boring present!! ifyou are anything like me the whitebread,carbs and pasta will be a killerbecausethey dont even out your blood sugar.

the only thing i find helps my pms, (and im still a wreck, so god only knows what id be like otherwise)is exercise and lots of it!!!! and eating complexcarbs every 2 hours. it is a bloody pain but well worth it.only thing is i then get my period,and think whey heyi can just go back to eating crap, but then:weep: no i realise i cant because if i do im gonna feelcrappy next month too:lac: why wasnt i born male????

Coni
03-10-07, 16:16
Happyone, I'm with you....I'm probably a big fat piece of cheese....or crisps....chocolate doesnt do it for me really (unless I'm premenstrual lol....or post menstrual....which only really leaves a week every month lol).
Seriously i do think theres something in this...I do feel loads better if I eat well but unfortunately what I eat and when is tangled up with my moods and how I feel so its a vicious circle I find hard to break sometimes.

Interesting thread though Mirry.

luv Coni XX

mirry
03-10-07, 17:57
so you get the PMT too :ohmy: , funny we have alot in common isnt it, I have suffered for years with this.

well after my protien lunch today, my energy level did increase :yesyes: , my husband drove us in the car 45 mins away and then I took my son into the dentist on my own , we then drove back home. I didnt panic once which is fantastic for me.......feeling quite pleased with myself.

tonight im doing the minced turkey with carrot and swede mash and peas.
then i am having baked banana with natural yogurt and seeds.

emmas , I quite often see breaad machines in my local charity shop and they are often at car boot sales if you can get to any ?

Alabasterlyn
03-10-07, 19:41
what a healthy diet you eat :ohmy: but I notised you dont eat many carbs , that is probally why you are so slim.

Do you find all those healthy ingredients help you at all with your anxiety ?
Do you take any vitamins ?

I have just started taking a complex B vitamin pill form holland and barrett , slow release (what ever that means?)
I think the seeds have alot of b vitamins in them if I remember right ?

You know Mirry I never realised I didn't eat many carbs till you pointed it out, but I think you are probably right, although I do make up for it on a Saturday when partner and I go to the local bakers and buy a freshly baked white loaf for the weekend. Bad, bad me :ohmy:

tonight im doing the minced turkey with carrot and swede mash and peas.
then i am having baked banana with natural yogurt and seeds.

Ooooh that sounds delicious, especially the baked banana and natural yoghurt :D

I don't know if other people on here try and avoid trans fats but that is one of my big bug bears. I try and buy as much as I can from M&S as they are the only store I know that don't use trans fats in any of their products.