PDA

View Full Version : Just discovered this place

RubyMacNoob
25-01-05, 11:33
Hi,

First post! I've been visiting the No More Panic site a lot (which is an excellent site, btw) but only just taken notice of the forum. Thank goodness I've found it too! It's reassuring to know I'm not on my own.

So, just to let you know why I'm here. I've been suffering from Emetophobia for about 17 years now. I'm 26, so it started in my childhood. I've managed to live with it, mostly by avoidance of course, but in the past few years it's been plaguing my life, to the point where I'm near obsessed with it. Anyway, at the moment I am working through No Panic's Written Recovery Programme, so hopefully I'll make some headway then. In the mean time, however, it's nice to chat to people who know what it's like and that should keep me going. Nice to meet you!

Cookie
25-01-05, 13:35
Hi Ruby,

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of posts about Emetophobia on the phobias board. Seems to be quite common. Maybe you should have a read so you know you're not on your own. Its nice to know other people understand what we're going through. I don't suffer with this myself, but I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from people who do.
Take care, and again, welcome to the forum!

Shell.:D

mico
25-01-05, 16:02
Hi Ruby

Welcome to the forums
mico

seh1980
25-01-05, 16:13
hi Ruby,

Welcome to the site!! I'm sure you'll receive loads of support here.

Sarah :D

mumof4
25-01-05, 16:14
Hi and welcome i had that phobia as well only just got over it after councelling and after just having a baby i was sick a few times and i realised that it wasnt that bad.

I know how hard it is and how it controls ur life ive been there to scared to go out incase i was ill and had no where to go.

Have u tried councelling it worked for me.

jill
25-01-05, 17:58
Hi Ruby

Welcome to the site

There are lots of nice people here who will help
and support you.

LOVE JILLxxx

When you fear something,
learn as much about it as you can.
Knowledge conquers fear.

Karen
25-01-05, 18:38
Hi Ruby

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
25-01-05, 19:10
Hi Ruby

Welcome to the forum. I am pleased you found the website of some help and have now found us on the fourm. We were hiding well - lol.

There are quite a few posts on here about Emetophobia so use the "search" facility at the top right of the screen or let me know if you need any help in finding the previous posts.

Hope to hear more from you.

Nicola

camilla
25-01-05, 19:46
hi ruby

my problems first begain when i was about 9 too. they are still here.

Its hard not to become obsessed with your illness when you had it so long.

Are you on any medication for it?

Camilla

FAN
26-01-05, 18:16
hi and welcome hope you find the site useful i know i do

fan x

maxine
26-01-05, 20:25
Hi Ruby,
I just wanted to say welcome to the forums. :D

Take care
Maxine

RubyMacNoob
31-01-05, 10:56
Thanks for such a nice welcome! Glad to hear I'm not the only one, though I haven't heard much about people overcoming the fear as I have with other phobias such as birds and so on. I'm still determined to beat it, even if it's just to a point where I feel anxious about it, as opposed to gut-wrenching fear!

I've had cognitive therapy before, but it was group therapy (good old NHS :P). I was the only person there who had a major fear, as everyone was generally just lacking confidence in themselves. Then a while ago I decided to go private and pay for an individual therapist, but no real success, none that I was hoping for. He was more interested in talking about personaility types and making me fork out money for books. Trouble is, I've learned more from the books than wasting my money on him!

At the moment I'm going through a written recovery programme from No Panic, and it's been good so far as all of it's relevant - for once!

As for medication, I've been on and off Prozac for about 6 years, though I'm off it at the moment. This isn't really just related to my phobia, as I'm prone to bouts of depression and panic which are unrelated. For the time being I'm taking St John's Wort instead, which helps a bit and doesn't have the hefty side-effects!

random_panda
31-01-05, 15:50
hello

I personally know very little of phobias. But if there is anywhere that can help then this site can.

good luck

Katie x

put things in perspective, take a balanced view, when u start to count your troubles, count your blessings too.