PDA

View Full Version : Panicking about lymphoma!

liam.liam
31-01-20, 11:19
I’m 25 and I’m panicking a lot with the thought that I might have Lymphoma. This all started a few weeks ago when, with my head down so the skin on my neck was tight, I could feel lymph nodes in the back of my neck. These where no bigger than half a cm but I obsessed over them for a while. I had a doctor feel them and he said they weren’t swollen.

I have recently become quite itchy all over. It’s not local to one area but itches in different areas. It comes and goes and seems to lessen when I’m busy. It’s not hugely intense but a cause of constant worry.

The thing that is freaking me out the most is that I keep getting small red blotches on the back of my hand. They come and go, don’t itch and tend to only last half an hour to an hour. They are usually no bigger than 2 1/2 cm but I had one be 5cm. I can see faint red marks where these have been still but they definitely go.

I’ve had a full set of blood tests, all of which came back fine, However, I stupidly looked at symptoms of Lymphoma and now I’m having a full on melt down. I would really appreciate any help!

NancyW
31-01-20, 13:19
I’ve had a full set of blood tests, all of which came back fine.

I stupidly looked at symptoms of Lymphoma and now I’m having a full on melt down.

Lesson learned?

NotDeadYet
31-01-20, 15:41
liam.liam,

As someone who has dealt with lymphoma fears for 2.5 years, let me take you through a few of your own statements that can help ground you in reality and logic.

These where no bigger than half a cm but I obsessed over them for a while. I had a doctor feel them and he said they weren’t swollen.
Lymph nodes are palpable. The internet will scare you and tell you that if you can feel a lymph node then you MUST have stage 4 lymphoma. Your lymph nodes are of a normal size and your doctor confirmed it. This means you are healthy and that there is nothing wrong with you.

It comes and goes and seems to lessen when I’m busy.
The itching is psychosomatic. You are itchy because you are thinking of being itchy. Your itchiness lessens when you're busy. Lymphoma itchiness is deep, gnawing and unrelenting. People have described it as an itch that cannot be scratched. It is sometimes so bad that they consider taking a fork to their skin to scratch the itch. Your itching doesn't sound like that which means you are healthy and that there is nothing wrong with you.

I’ve had a full set of blood tests, all of which came back fine.
This means you are healthy and that there is nothing wrong with you.

The thing that is freaking me out the most is that I keep getting small red blotches on the back of my hand. They come and go, don’t itch and tend to only last half an hour to an hour. They are usually no bigger than 2 1/2 cm but I had one be 5cm. I can see faint red marks where these have been still but they definitely go.
Lymphoma only causes red blotches if you have a skin lymphoma. Considering your lymph nodes are not swollen and your blood tests are normal you do not have this type of lymphoma.

Overall you can conclude that you are healthy and that there is nothing wrong with you.

Best Wishes.