PDA

View Full Version : Preparing to go to work

knightbabe
04-10-07, 15:32
I am due to start work on Monday. This is the first time since having panic attacks. Firstly it is somewhere I have never worked before and I will be doing a job that I have done before. It is less than a 5 minute drive from home, but anyone who has seen my other posts will know that driving is my problem. Today in preparation I put the dog in the back of the car, mobile on the front passenger seat, turned the stereo on and started the engine. I must point out that my panic normally sets in on the walk from the front door to the car. So far nothing. Seatbelt on, select gear, deselect handbrake and I'm off. I decided to go round the block, anyway upon getting to the entrance of my road I felt good so thought I'd extend my drive. This whole drive took less than 5 minutes. But I feel great for finally facing my fears. Until now I have avoided driving, or if I have had to drive I have had someone in the car with me. I feel I have made a big achievement today and just wanted to share it with others. Not sure if its the meds or just shear determination on my part that I managed to do it.
My new boss is breaking me in gently next week, only doing 9-2.

beauty
04-10-07, 15:39
Hiya Knighbabe,
I have a driving thing as well, through all of my panic phases it has been the hardest time, i think its the feeling of being totally alone in the car that does it for me. I overcame it last time and this time i made sure i just didnt stop driving and ive got through it despite alot of fear whilst driving. I know how hard it is so well done!! I did and still do the same as you, stero on (either good music or a station with interesting talk on it) and also i find it helps me to have the windows open so it feels more open and fresh. I remember when i stopped driving for a month or so last time i got a panic phase i took little steps like going to the end of our (long) lane/drive, then back again. And gradually i built up and was soon driving everywhere again, I'm sure you will achieve the same : )
Well done on the job too, just make sure you put it into perspective when you think about working life, its easy to build up an image of it being very serious and scary at work, but often once youre there it isnt at all, and is alot more laid back than you expect.

xxx

Eva May
04-10-07, 15:39
Knightbabe that sounds fantastic-well done!! Doesn't matter about the meds, the fact is YOU did it.I hope this job works out for you and gives you loads more confidence :yesyes:

Insomniac
04-10-07, 17:23
Fantastic! What an achievement!!

Driving has been difficult for me too. So was going back to work after summer hols. Luckily like you I have understanding boss, who helped me feel secure. Keep taking those small steps.

I hope you are proud of yourself. I remember talking to counsellor about meds. She said they help you feel more balanced, but it is you doing the work. You're telling yourself all the right things, practising and being prepared. Well Done!

:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

honeybee3939
04-10-07, 19:54
Hi Knightbabe

How lovely to hear you are returning to work, i was off work for quite a while but going back did help me get my confidence back:) , im sure it will you too. Sounds like you are really determined to make things work:yesyes:

I wish you all the luck in the world hun !!

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

Dying_Swan
04-10-07, 22:04
Brilliant :yesyes:

Well done!!! It sounds like you've taken a really big step, and you should be proud of yourself :)

All the best in your new job xx