PDA

View Full Version : Panic over fungus and pain

Bing3892
07-02-20, 18:32
I recognize that I am likely overreacting. I'm using my tools and telling myself that my thoughts are irrational, but nagging pain makes it very difficult to divert my thoughts, and I keep coming back.

I have had suspected nail fungus for years. I addressed it in the worst way possible and covered it with nail polish so that I didn't have to see it. You can imagine my horror when I realized (upon removing the polish) that the fungus had spread to more of my nail and that the base of my nail had started turning dark. I began using topical treatment because I don't want to take oral antifungals unless absolutely necessary. I have a laser treatment scheduled two days from now.

Meanwhile, I developed deep pain and stiffness in my big toe. I have mild bunions, so I'm guessing this might just be my first flare up from that, but it's a very unhappy coincidence that the pain happens to be in the toe where I have nail fungus. As a result, my brain keeps telling me that the fungus has gotten into deeper tissue and that I'm going to die as a result of sepsis from nail fungus.

Thinking it does not make my worries true, and I'm trying to replace my thoughts with realistic ones. But with every jolt of pain, my brain is screaming, "There's something wrong, and it's absolutely the worst possible scenario!"

utrocket09
07-02-20, 18:38
I recognize that I am likely overreacting. I'm using my tools and telling myself that my thoughts are irrational, but nagging pain makes it very difficult to divert my thoughts, and I keep coming back.

I have had suspected nail fungus for years. I addressed it in the worst way possible and covered it with nail polish so that I didn't have to see it. You can imagine my horror when I realized (upon removing the polish) that the fungus had spread to more of my nail and that the base of my nail had started turning dark. I began using topical treatment because I don't want to take oral antifungals unless absolutely necessary. I have a laser treatment scheduled two days from now.

Meanwhile, I developed deep pain and stiffness in my big toe. I have mild bunions, so I'm guessing this might just be my first flare up from that, but it's a very unhappy coincidence that the pain happens to be in the toe where I have nail fungus. As a result, my brain keeps telling me that the fungus has gotten into deeper tissue and that I'm going to die as a result of sepsis from nail fungus.

Thinking it does not make my worries true, and I'm trying to replace my thoughts with realistic ones. But with every jolt of pain, my brain is screaming, "There's something wrong, and it's absolutely the worst possible scenario!"

Toe fungus is not a huge deal. My moms never went away. They removed her toe nails and no problems since then.