PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram

kate
04-10-07, 18:09
I've just been prescribed Citalopram, to take 10mg for a week and then increase to 20mg.

I've done a search on here and most threads are really negative regarding the side effects that have been experienced.

Like most people, I'm also worried about side effects especially as I have a longer journey to work since moving house. Don't want to be feeling rubbish when driving or whilst at work.

So, does anyone have any positive experiences of starting this drug ie little or no side effects?

Thanks

Kate x

trac67
04-10-07, 18:24
Kate,

I have been on citalopram for 9 years now and I suffered hardly any side effects at all when I started them, just the odd light head and slight nausea. The have really helped to keep the anxiety under control. I am on 10mg a day.

Love

Trac xxx

nanny
04-10-07, 18:27
Hi kate

I have just been changed from that med after taking it for 9 years.

The only thing i suffered with when first starting it was that for the first 2 weeks it made me a bit more anxious, which is what the Dr told me it may do.
after 2 weeks that went off and it kept my panic attacks and depression off so much so that i stayed on em 9 years.
so if i were you, try to cope with them for a little time, and hopefully they will work as well for you as they did for me:winks:

GOOD LUCK

nomorepanic
04-10-07, 19:34
Hi Kate

I am surprised he wants to increase it that quickly to be honest. I would have thought it better to start low and settle with that dose until you were happy with it.

Sorry I can't be positive about it as I hated it and stopped after just one week!

There are loads of other posts about it on here though so have a read through them and some may be positive.

honeybee3939
04-10-07, 19:43
Hi Kate

I have been taking Citalopram on and off for the last 10 years now, been off them since last xmas and "touch wood" im hoping for good.

The meds have been a godsend to me. I have to agree with Nic though i think a week at 10mg then onto 20mg so quickly is a little too quick . I would stick with the 10mg for at least 2 weeks or more till they settle in.

I hope they help you Kate as much as they did me.

love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

viv
04-10-07, 21:34
:flowers: hi i was on citalopram about 3 years ago and i am scared of everything but i coped with the side effects.i was on them 6 months. i have just stared them again i,m only on 10mg and i,m only on day two i do have a head ache and i feel like i have the flu. i feel a bit nervous but i know it will go cos thats how they made me feel last time... but it soon passed and i felt back to my old self. thats what i am waiting for again.. i have taken a week off work to get them in my system as i think the 1st week is the worst one to get through vivienne:)

Dying_Swan
04-10-07, 22:01
Hi Kate.

I've had good experiences wtih Citalopram. I started straight on 20mg, and didn't suffer too much with side effects. I swapped to them from 20mg Fluoxetine, which I had much worse effects with.

From what I remember, the side effects I had were: slight nausea, loss of appetite (I lost 3 stone!), insomnia.....but they were right at the beginning, and may well have been a 'hangover' from the Prozac. I think the only different one I had was dizziness on standing up...just a headrush, but more often than normal. That didn't last too long. It usually takes about 6 weeks to get into your system and get the side effects out of the way.

As for increasing - could be a bit quick, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. 20mg is a pretty standard dose.

You'll read all sorts of negative and positive experiences on here....just remember that different drugs suit different people. I hated Prozac, but loads of people find it really helpful. It's the same with Citalopram.

Good luck x

kate
05-10-07, 14:52
Gawd, I'm such a coward :blush: still don't know whether to start taking them or not.

I've taken anti d's for actual depression and suffered no side effects and they have worked very well for me. But, these are for anxiety and I have tried several anti d's over the years for anx and have only ever taken them for a few days because the side effects make me feel so dreadful.

Also, it is so hard to carry on with your life, especially going to work, when feeling dizzy etc.

Oh well, will give it some more thought over the weekend. Thanks everyone for your input.

Kate x

honeybee3939
05-10-07, 23:32
Kate

If you are afraid you may have side effects why dont you start on 5mg for a week(cut the tablet in half), i have done that before and had no side effects at all. Also you could try taking them at night before bed, i always took them before bed because if i took them in the day i would be waiting for side effects to happen which made my anxiety twice as bad thinking about it.:ohmy:

Good luck hun in what ever you decide:hugs:

love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

kate
06-10-07, 08:25
Thanks Andrea, yes that is another possibility.

My anxiety is so bad at the moment, and I really need to get on top of it somehow. I think it was all brought on by moving house even though I love where I'm living now so doesn't seem to make much sense, really :ohmy:

Kate x

bubblygirl
06-10-07, 23:19
I started taking them in nov 06 and i did have some side effects to start with but once you get over them it really is worth it as they really did help me to make huge changes in my life.i was on 20mg until recently and have now had to increase to 40mg due to slipping again. not had to many side effects this time. I know its tough but i really think it is worth the side effects as they might really help you in the long run. Could you take afew days holiday off work when you start taking them that way youll be at home incase you do get any side effects. Good luck with them.

Sarah x

kate
07-10-07, 08:45
Thanks for the reply, Sarah :)

Unfortunately, I work term time only at a pre school so I'm unable to take any holiday until half term in 2 weeks time.

I haven't started taking the med's yet :blush: and I'm supposed to go back and see the doc in 3 weeks to tell her how I'm getting on :wacko:

Kate x

bubblygirl
08-10-07, 21:50
Aww I know its really scary taking meds for the first time. The only thing i can say is try them they may really work for you. But only do what you feel comfortable with. But i totally undertsand how u feel. take care.

Sarah x

kate
09-10-07, 16:18
Thanks Sarah :hugs:

Kate x