PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and how it manifests - ??

Phoenixess
11-02-20, 08:24
I’m just wondering if anyone else has had similar experience....
I used to be highly concerned about how others felt about me and what they would do. Like I was in grave danger, they would come and harm me! I was preconsumed by their distaste in me and the bad things I had done. It was punitive and self hatred that fuelled these thoughts. Except for some reason I’m not sure what perhaps age or acceptance I came to the conclusion I don’t give a flying two dogs dinners what ANYONE thinks about me and actually that helped to quit the drinking part of my life. Whereas before I was consumed by worry of others or past relationships and I would drink to shut it up.
Then now I have this new overwhelming health anxiety if you like, that I am convinced there is something wrong and no one is believing me. Except when I had bizarre difficult terrifying symptoms this weekend I didn’t call and ambulance and I treated it as panic attacks. I am still here but still doubting what went on.

So couple of questions, when people have tried to utilised the CBT more did it make things worse? (That is what I’m experiencing)
Has anyone here tried psychotherapy? Was this useful because I’m considering paying, I’d give my right arm not to live in this hell any more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allochka
11-02-20, 20:04
Hello,
I have tried psychotherapy. For me the main gain was understanding WHY I have health anxiety (this is a weird coping mechanism to deal with my first miscarriage). Smth to shut out real trouble, real pain. I was able to finally let myself grieve, and decide to try again and again. I consider it a valuable gain.
But the psychotherapy alone didn’t help me to deal with HA. Meds did, results were great! Perhaps you could try? I’m here simply because I stupidly decided to stop meds

Phoenixess
11-02-20, 21:31
Hello,
I have tried psychotherapy. For me the main gain was understanding WHY I have health anxiety (this is a weird coping mechanism to deal with my first miscarriage). Smth to shut out real trouble, real pain. I was able to finally let myself grieve, and decide to try again and again. I consider it a valuable gain.
But the psychotherapy alone didn’t help me to deal with HA. Meds did, results were great! Perhaps you could try? I’m here simply because I stupidly decided to stop meds

Interesting I have often wondered what I am burying deep down it will be interesting to see what happens I had assessment tomorrow - thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allochka
11-02-20, 21:56
Sometimes I wonder how creative our brains are in finding ways to supress what they want to supress...And how unable we are to face the obvious. But that’s what therapy is for
Good luck with your appointment tomorrow,