PDA

View Full Version : Those that have had the flu this year....

glassgirlw
11-02-20, 13:18
How long did yours last? Mine started last Friday and I started Tamiflu Sunday - so today is day 5. I haven’t had the flu in probably 10 years so I truly can’t remember the normal time frame for recovery. I’m off work all week on docs orders. Each day my temp has been dropping, last dose of ibuprofen was at 11 last night and no fever yet this morning.

cough is brutal though. It’s productive occasionally but not always. It doesn’t hurt to breathe deeply, and I don’t hear any rattling in my chest. but I cough so freaking hard, all my muscles hurt and throat is raw. Assuming this is normal with flu.

I did notice some red tinge a couple times in mucus I’ve coughed up. I’m chalking that up to irritated bronchial passages because of all the hacking I’m doing?

i appreciate any responses.

NancyW
11-02-20, 13:45
The flu is rough, I rarely get it but am always completely shocked at how it kicks my butt, lays me out and how long it lasts.

That said, I've never counted the days but if I remember right the worst of it is 5 to 7 days and then feel hit by a truck for another week ending with remnants like coughing, congestion, headaches until it slowly goes away over the next week or so.

glassgirlw
11-02-20, 13:59
Thanks, Nancy W. I’m trying so hard to not let my HA take me over on this. I feel like the longer it’s taking, the more my risk increases of developing a secondary infection like bronchitis or pneumonia - which I know is not rational thinking but my brain isn’t very rational on the best of days :roflmao:It’s tough! I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

NancyW
11-02-20, 14:36
You're welcome :-)

You're pretty early in this virus, it's going to be a while yet before you feel confident that it's gone.

glassgirlw
11-02-20, 15:07
I do feel like each day is a little better. My main worry right now is this cough. If it was more productive I might not be as concerned. Guess I just need to keep drinking and resting, and give it time!

NancyW
11-02-20, 15:21
The cough is always the last to go away for me... its SO annoying. Even in my kids, the dr said the cough lasts 4 to 6 weeks after.

ankietyjoe
11-02-20, 16:37
You need to try and stop the hyper vigilance. It would take at least a week or two to get over the flu if you were already healthy and fit. At least. More like a full month to feel fully better for most people (although you could function before that) and the cough could easily last several weeks.

The problem here is not the flu, it's your expectation and constant checking of symptoms and timeframes.

Read a book or something!

glassgirlw
11-02-20, 16:41
You need to try and stop the hyper vigilance. It would take at least a week or two to get over the flu if you were already healthy and fit. At least. More like a full month to feel fully better for most people (although you could function before that) and the cough could easily last several weeks.

The problem here is not the flu, it's your expectation and constant checking of symptoms and timeframes.

Read a book or something!

Thanks for your advice!

Carys
11-02-20, 17:48
I've had it twice in my life, took a month to feel like I was back to normal energy levels and get rid of all symptoms. We don't get 'tamiflu' given out to us either.

glassgirlw
11-02-20, 19:13
Thanks, Carys. I’ve never taken it myself - actually never been officially “diagnosed” with the flu before. Only went to urgent care Sunday because I was concerned my cough was something that might need antibiotics. They flu tested me and said I had the flu and prescribed me Tamiflu. Don’t know that it’s doing much for me really, I think regardless it just has to run its course. I do feel like my chest is loosening up a little more today so hopefully I’m turning a corner with it.

NancyW
11-02-20, 19:46
glassgirlw I'm in the US too and we have schools closed here due to the flu, it's a bad year and it started early.

Again they are saying the flu shot missed the mark.

glassgirlw
11-02-20, 20:22
glassgirlw I'm in the US too and we have schools closed here due to the flu, it's a bad year and it started early.

Again they are saying the flu shot missed the mark.

I haven’t had a flu shot for probably 10 years or more. I guess I’ve just been lucky so far to avoid the flu lol. Not so lucky this time :roflmao:

glassgirlw
12-02-20, 22:05
Just an update for those that may be having a similar struggle right now - I’m on day 6 of the flu and finally think I’m improving! Cough is becoming more productive. I think some of that has moved up to my head though, I broke down and took a couple squirts of Afrin last night just so I could sleep - big mistake lol. It works like magic, but I think I have a crazy sensitivity to it because my rebound congestion all day today has been terrible. So I wouldn’t recommend that unless you know you can use it without those side effects. Otherwise I’m starting to feel much better!