PDA

View Full Version : I know I am not the first one with lymph nodes, but please read

Lana
11-02-20, 18:44
So almost 4 weeks ago both my husband and I came down with bad viral cold. First he visited doctor, and had chest x-ray, all clear. Few days after I went, and my doctor assured that my lungs were completely clear, and that even my throat was not that red; then he added, touching the sides of my neck: Your lymph nodes are swollen, but that is actually good, because it is getting rid of the virus. Before I left, I asked if I needed to come back, and he said: No.

The cold has been lingering (not really horrible, but t is very hard to get rid of the cough), but both my husband and I are feeling back to normal and we are back to work. Cough still lingers a little... However, I never stopped thinking about the lymph nodes! I have known my doctor for many years and I trust him - but, I keep on checking the nodes in my neck ( sort of under sides of my chin), and to me, they feel like ping pong balls!!! Maybe little smaller, but definitely not pea sized! At this point I definitely do not know if what I feel are even lymph nodes! I do not know how to check, and what to do. Sometimes I think these are muscles, because, I sort of remember always feeling these small balls - but, the bottom line is, I have no idea. The more I probe them, the bigger they feel, or so I think.

I am scared , but I do not want to check with the doctor again, especially after he had told me I do not need to come back and it was common, nasty cold,but not more than that. I wish I could just forget about those "lymph nodes" - if that is what I am feeling. How does one check it ?

Please help me with a piece of advice, and thank you in advance

ankietyjoe
11-02-20, 18:54
If you can't get reassurance from your Doctor, what do you expect us to say that will make a difference? This is a genuine question, what do you need to hear to stop checking?

And, checking is the problem, not the lymph nodes themselves btw.

NotDeadYet
11-02-20, 18:59
At this point I definitely do not know if what I feel are even lymph nodes! I do not know how to check, and what to do. Sometimes I think these are muscles, because, I sort of remember always feeling these small balls - but, the bottom line is, I have no idea.

Lana,

The greatest piece of advice is your own. You have no idea what you're feeling or what to even look for. With that being said: stop touching them and searching. Your doctor said not to worry, you had a cold, and you can move on. I know this is hard but only you can stop touching. Reiterate to yourself whenever you have the urge to touch, "I'm fine. My doctor was not worried. I don't need to touch."

Best Wishes

Lana
11-02-20, 19:27
Guys, thank you both, and I know I should stop checking. I posted because I just wanted to see if other people, who have no medical knowledge, even know how to check it. ... Sigh....

neuroticcat
11-02-20, 19:33
in january this year i had a swollen lymph node on my neck the size of a ping pong. Exactly were you describe it. It was only on one side and very painful to touch. Even a scarf around my neck would make it hurt. It lasted for about a month then it disappeared. I can barely feel anything right now, just a teeny tiny thing if i press hard enough in that area.

ankietyjoe
11-02-20, 19:38
Guys, thank you both, and I know I should stop checking. I posted because I just wanted to see if other people, who have no medical knowledge, even know how to check it. ... Sigh....

Why did you wanted to find that out? Again, a genuine question? It sometimes helps if you do a quick mental audit of what you're actually doing to realise how pointless and self destructive it is.

To summarise...

You have an infection. The infection makes nodes swell. You have been checked by a Doctor.

You're checking something you don't know how to check, and assuming it's not right. You're creating a problem that isn't there, based on something you don't even know how to diagnose.

Lana
11-02-20, 19:46
Why did you wanted to find that out? Again, a genuine question? It sometimes helps if you do a quick mental audit of what you're actually doing to realise how pointless and self destructive it is.

To summarise...

You have an infection. The infection makes nodes swell. You have been checked by a Doctor.

You're checking something you don't know how to check, and assuming it's not right. You're creating a problem that isn't there, based on something you don't even know how to diagnose.

You are right. I will simply make myself stop, no matter what. I will.

Thank you

Allochka
11-02-20, 19:56
I have a big lympnode in my neck. Always been there, as long as I remember. It swells even bigger with infections. So I would like to say that bigger nodes, especially after infection, are nothing to worry about.

Btw, I recently have met a cat with lymphoma. I’ve petted him, not yet knowing about his disease. Right away I felt a huge, rock hard (really like rock), fused together nodes. I asked whats wrong, and found out that the poor thing has lymphoma. After feeling these nodes I realize why we should trust doctors if they have felt your nodes and said it’s fine. Because malignant nodes are very-very distinct, very special, hard to miss. Even I was able to tell at once smth is wrong.
So ifnthe doc says you are OK - then you are OK

Lana
11-02-20, 20:02
I have a big lympnode in my neck. Always been there, as long as I remember. It swells even bigger with infections. So I would like to say that bigger nodes, especially after infection, are nothing to worry about.

Btw, I recently have met a cat with lymphoma. I’ve petted him, not yet knowing about his disease. Right away I felt a huge, rock hard (really like rock), fused together nodes. I asked whats wrong, and found out that the poor thing has lymphoma. After feeling these nodes I realize why we should trust doctors if they have felt your nodes and said it’s fine. Because malignant nodes are very-very distinct, very special, hard to miss. Even I was able to tell at once smth is wrong.
So ifnthe doc says you are OK - then you are OK

Hey, Allochka, Thank you so much.

BTW: I feel for the cat - I love cats very much, and have had them all my adult life.

Allochka
11-02-20, 20:08
Glad I could help. But malignant ones are REALLY unmistakable, so please relax.
Yes , poor cat died, but he was very old, was adored during all his life and luckily haven’t suffered much from his disease...

Lana
11-02-20, 20:11
Allochka, So glad it was loved and not suffering.

NotDeadYet
11-02-20, 20:28
I just wanted to see if other people, who have no medical knowledge, even know how to check it.

I understand this desire but it will ultimately equip you with unhelpful knowledge that will only feed your anxiety.

ankietyjoe
11-02-20, 20:32
I understand this desire but it will ultimately equip you with unhelpful knowledge that will only feed your anxiety.

Bingo