PDA

View Full Version : parents

teresa
04-10-07, 23:33
can we pass panic to our children:shrug:

IrishPrincess
05-10-07, 00:48
Heya Teresa,

My mam had panic attacks and now i have i think in my case it was learned behaviour and because of the things i've gone through and the stress i endured,i reacted to it the same way she did.I dont think u just pass it to ur kids,it has a lot got to do with circumstances,I do worry a lot bout my lil boy though,i think as parents we cant help but worry sick bout our kids.

Princess xxx

Keep ur heart open to dreams,
For as long as there's a dream
There is hope,
And as long as there's hope,
There is joy in living.

Bill
05-10-07, 01:34
We have our parents genes so if they were worriers, we probably will be too so under too much pressure we could experience panic attacks.

However, we also learn from our parents and so can pick up their beliefs and behaviour patterns such as phobias.

Having said that, anyone who experiences a trauma whatever their personality is like can also experience panic.

We're just more prone.....BUT we Can change how we think and behave so just because we have anxieties or panic, it doesn't mean anyone has to just accept it! :winks:

woofytalk
05-10-07, 03:15
Bill,

i couldn't agree with you more. You are right on the money. I think that we have a choice when we are born with parents who have excessive anxiety.

I agree that by genetics, children are more prone towards an anxiety disorder. I also think that the place they grow up in and their parents tendencies shape and form their attitudes.

The advantage lies with those, like the people on this forum. We choose to take control of our fears and anxieties by facing them on this forum.

So yes, I think anxieties can be passed down to our children. What the children do about their anxiety is what determines how excessive their anxiety will become.

-Rachel