PDA

View Full Version : Going out of my mind. Is this really anxiety?

Adam1987
29-12-19, 20:34
Hey. Not commented on here for a while but still struggling with a lot of issues and just wondering if anyone can empathise. Had neck and arm problems since summer. My neck isnt so much of a problem now however I have tennis elbow / tendonitis in both my forearms which I cant shake off. Last month I started getting lower back pain and sciatica like symptoms in both legs. I had loads of blood tests done they all came back fine and an MRI of my neck and lower back. Nothing too exciting was found just some disc and joint degeneration in both neck and lumbar spine but nothing too out of the ordinary for my age (32). However last few weeks my legs have been ridiculously tight. I mean like struggling to do things now. Given that I have issues with my arms and legs now I worry about the nasty neurological conditions however I've had the arm thing since July so assume I would have some real clinical weakness by now if that was the case and also think MRI would have spotted any signs of MS at least. It's just hard to accept this is all anxiety based. The doctor has put me on mirtazapine which is the first medication I've ever really had but this is how bad my anxiety has been. I went for a run tonight to prove I could still run really and probably did 2-3 miles so my stamina is fine but my legs were just so tight through out it was hard work. The thing that is annoying me now is I keep telling myself the muscle stiffness is just down to my mental state but that doesnt help it go away, it just doesnt seem to be budging. I've seen physios, had massages etc. and still incredibly tight. Can anyone relate? Has anyone had this much full body issues simply through anxiety?

Murphy93
29-12-19, 22:21
Hi Adam

Everytime I have a serious setback In my anxiety my full body goes tight and aches , especially my legs feels like I’m walking through mud

I genuinely believe it’s all anxiety which is obviously taking its toll on our bodies

Adam1987
29-12-19, 22:26
Thanks mate. I've searched a few threads and it seems to be common. It's just been going on for so long now. Trying to monitor my legs and see how much I tense them and see if it helps by releasing this tension. Thanks for the reply.

Adam1987
10-01-20, 08:28
I've been on Mirtazapine 15mg dose for about 3 to 4 weeks now. I've had lots of the usual side effects. Sleeping much better but increased appetite, weird dreams, sinus issues, bit of constipation but I've also been getting pains in my legs. Its lower legs around calves and front of the shins. Some days are better than others but wondered if anyone else has experienced this? I've never been on medication for anxiety before this so it's all new to me. Google says muscle pain is a side effect but it doesnt seem to be common. As well as that I twitch more now as well. I know anxiety causes twitches anyway but just a bit more widespread. Any help would be appreciated.

panic_down_under
10-01-20, 10:49
These are listed mirtazapine side-effects. Most are relatively common, though muscle pain is usually less so especially at such a low dose. You could try a magnesium supplement. It might help with the twitch too. Can't guarantee it will work for either, but there is a good chance it will and it may help with anxiety too. I've taken magnesium for years for muscle cramps. You may find these threads useful:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?176849-Cymbalta-and-magnesium

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?199413-Magnesium-and-Ectopic-Beats&highlight=magnesium

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?182186-Magnesium&highlight=magnesium

Terry - MyNameIsTerry - is the bloke to ask if you have any questions.

Adam1987
10-01-20, 11:21
Thanks mate albeit I'm a bit worried now that the muscle pains might be caused by something else. I do take magnesium so maybe it's time to up the dose.

panic_down_under
10-01-20, 22:01
I'm a bit worried now that the muscle pains might be caused by something else.

Mirtazapine is the most likely cause, but if in doubt get it checked out, Adam.

Adam1987
11-01-20, 11:08
Hi people. I am having this vibration type feeling in my lower right leg kind of like where my Achilles tendon is. It's like a light slow vibration kind of like a mobile phone but weaker. I had it last Saturday after sitting down in the car whilst my son was sleeping. Tuesday night whilst sitting down watching football. And today i woke up with it. In addition to that I have had chronically tight and sore lower legs on both sides, so calf and shin muscles. I searched on here and it seems like it has been raised but it isn't common. I would put it down to anxiety (obviously I'm an anxious person why else would I be on this website ha) but I've not been as anxious this past week. I have started taking Mirtazapine 15mg for the last 3 or 4 weeks and is my first venture in to medication for anxiety so it could be that. I also get all over body twitches and have done for some time but they've been worse recently, again I think I can put this down to the meds. The past 6 months has been the worst my anxiety has been with various ailments from neck and tennis elbow issues to throat infections and then to lower back and sciatica type issues. I saw the doctor on Wednesday and he didn't examine me but I have had other practitioners examine me at the practice as well as countless blood tests and MRI on neck and back (which came back ok no nerve compression just degenerative discs and joints) and he said 'I dont think we've missed anything here, I dont think theres any multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy or motor neuron disease going on'. Hes experienced doctor and seems a very good one so I believe him but then when I start getting weird things like this it plays on my mind. Can someone shed light on what it is? Is it still my overactive nervous system? Like I said I've been ok recently and not felt nearly as nervous so assumed it was the meds but I'm not sure. This as well as the chronically sore legs is bugging me. Thank you.

Elen
11-01-20, 11:53
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Adam1987
11-01-20, 11:56
Yeah I mentioned it on Wednesday and he didn't seem too concerned with my physical symptoms he was focusing more on the anxiety so I assume he thinks its that.

ErinKC
11-01-20, 19:38
I get this exact sensation - the cell phone vibration/buzzing feeling. I just went through a bad few weeks of anxiety after being great for almost a year and this happened to me in both my legs. It also came on near the tail end of the anxiety flair, I think when my body was starting to settle down. I've also found that it's one of the absolute most sensitive sensations when it comes to being psychosomatic. I'm 100% not messing with you when I say that as soon as I started typing to you about it, my left leg started to buzz even though I've not had the feeling in about a week now. It's amazing what the mind can do.

Adam1987
11-01-20, 19:52
Hi Erin. Thank you so much for your reply. This has helped relieve my worries a little. It's very unnerving if you've never had the sensation before but if I know other people have had through anxiety then I'll try not to worry. The stiff legs I can put down to anxiety and newly prescribed meds too I think.

ErinKC
11-01-20, 19:55
Yes - the first time I had it, it was a spot on my foot that would not stop buzzing. It is very unnerving for sure! But, after some research and time I realized it had to be anxiety. And, I had completely forgotten about/never felt it again until just recently when the anxiety came back. I hope you start to feel better soon!

Adam1987
11-01-20, 20:12
Thank you Erin. :)

Adam1987
16-01-20, 05:16
So this leg vibration thing reared its ugly head last night. I had a busy day travelling by air and then doing a lot of walking but last night at like 6 or 7 it started up again. Carried on all night, managed to get to sleep and then woke at 4am and it is still going. My right leg around my Achilles just feels like its purring kind of like a slow vibrating pulse. I'm not even anxious and have been pretty good with my anxiety recently albeit this is testing that. What is it and how do I make it stop?

Adam1987
23-01-20, 09:49
I'm at a loss as to what is up with me and really struggling to believe it is all anxiety related.

I've had numerous issues in the last 7 months from neck to arm problems and back problems. MRI of neck and back showed degeneration of disc and facet joints but no nerve compression but I have had issues with my legs for nearly 2 months now. Aches, pains etc but what has been happening in the last 3 weeks I just doubt is anxiety. I was prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg in December and took it for 4 weeks and was convinced it was causing my legs to be more painful and giving me a vibration type sensation in my right calf so I stopped taking them Friday before last so I've been off them for 12 days. Not sure if my issues are from them or withdrawal but now my legs at night are so restless. They tremble, twitch and ache and I struggle to sleep. I could just put this down to restless legs but my lower legs especially my right the veins keep popping out like varicose veins and I never had this before its been going on on and off for 3 or 4 weeks now. My calves are chronically tight, again especially on the right hand side. I dunno if this is circulation issue or what I've had countless blood tests which all came back normal at beginning of December I had a normal ECG in October. Its driving me crazy. I keep telling myself its anxiety but my anxiety has been under control until last week and I doubt it can cause my veins to show. Can anyone help / sympathise / shed some light? I'm gonna call my doctor later on and have a phone consultation and see what he says.

Beachlady
23-01-20, 15:56
I have RLS (Restless legs syndrome) and have been on Mirapex for years. RLS makes your legs incredibly jumpy and you can’t keep them still. What you describe doesn’t sound like RLS at all. My guess is that your anxiety and tension is creating the tension you describe. Take care.

Adam1987
23-01-20, 16:21
Thanks for your reply Beach Lady. No nowhere near that bad at all however I know there are varying degrees and I'd be open to it being anxiety related but my anxiety has been pretty good recently albeit these issues have changed that. I dont think anxiety can cause the vein issue though.

Beachlady
24-01-20, 01:15
I wonder if the mirtazipine is the culprit, exacerbated by stopping it cold turkey, and also exacerbated by the anxiety you’re feeling over the symptoms. Normally you don’t stop any psychotropic medication cold turkey if you’ve been on it for 4 weeks. In addition to being a retired mental health practitioner, I also have bipolar disorder and have been on most psychotropic meds known to man. ;)

Adam1987
24-01-20, 09:08
It did occur to me that that might be the case but I thought it was unlikely as i was on a low dose and not for a great length of time but I was getting a lot of side effects from being on them which is why I had to stop so it cant be ruled out and seems like one of the most plausible reasons. You can probably see from my other posts i was getting leg pains, vibration sensations in legs and what not whilst i was on them and i did read restless legs is a side effect of Mirtazapine. It wasnt as bad last night so I'll see how it goes and hope for the best. Thanks for your help :)

Beachlady
24-01-20, 18:46
Good luck Adam and I hope your symptoms dissipate soon.

Adam1987
11-02-20, 08:44
Hi guys. Really need some help. I've been making conscious efforts not to post post or google anything to help with my HA. I started a book called Overcoming Health Anxiety and last night went to bed with a clearer head. I've been dealing with peculiar symptoms in my legs for weeks now. My veins bulge out, I get achey restless legs, they twitch, my muscle are chronically tight. I went doctors 2 weeks ago worried about MND and he said come back in 4 weeks but he didn't think it was a possibility. Anyway upon waking this morning I swear I could not lift my left foot up. I was terrified. It lasted for around 10-15 seconds but the ability to lift my foot up wasn't there. It woke me up so I'm not sure if it was a cramp that woke me up or what but I had just woke up so can't remember if there was any pain. Has anyone had this before? It proper scared me and I screamed out upon waking. I've had it when I slept on my arm and it went numb but never had this before with a foot. Seriously last night I went to sleep feeling good and as always with HA its one step forward and 2 back :(

BlueIris
11-02-20, 08:45
Honestly, this sounds like a variant of sleep paralysis to me.

Adam1987
11-02-20, 09:07
I've had sleep paralysis before, used to get it quite often, but that was the whole body sensation when you're awake but not awake. Wasn't aware it could affect just one limb. I'm trying to think logical. If it was anything bad then it would be unlikely to be temporary I assume and it is 'okay' now (albeit all my leg muscles are chronically tight).

ankietyjoe
11-02-20, 09:38
If you have chronic muscle tension it's easily possible to 'constrict' a nerve/bundle, especially if you sleep in an awkward position. I've woken up before with a dead leg and tried to walk, only for my leg to buckle underneath me. I have chronic muscle tension in my back and it makes it look like I'm drunk when I'm walking sometimes.

Adam1987
11-02-20, 10:00
Thanks Joe. Like I said I've been trying to think logical. I could have slept with my legs crossed or something and my achilles area is feeling especially tight today. Fingers crossed it's a one off and doesn't happen again.

Adam1987
17-02-20, 16:44
I know there's plenty of threads with the same title but I am really struggling to believe this is all anxiety / depression / stress related. My legs have been aching and progressively getting worse for over 2 months now to the point where I am struggling with things that used to be normal to me. I went for a walk in the park today to loosen up probably half an hour or so and my legs just felt so stiff as they have done for weeks it was a real battle. We are moving house at the minute so afterwards I was painting as I have been doing for the past few weeks and I literally struggle all the way through it, as I have been doing since I started the decorating. My leg muscles just have no stamina anymore. At rest my legs twitch so much everywhere, and sometimes in other parts of my body. My legs get incredibly restless usually after some form of intense exercise and my veins bulge out of my lower legs, this is much worse after I've had a hot bath. I am at my wits end with this now. I saw my doctor 3 weeks ago and he told me to book a follow up for 4 weeks but I dont think I can wait another week. I just really need some help and would appreciate if people who have been in a similar situation could offer some support and help. Obviously suffering with HA I fear the worst neurological diseases but without tempting fate this doesnt present itself in that particular way as my whole legs from my waste, and sometimes lower back, down to my toes ache on both sides. This isn't isolated to one extremity. I've considered if this is something more benign like CFS or Fibromyalgia but as a 32 year old male I dont think I fit the profile. I just want to get better both physically and mentally but I am really struggling. The last 6 months have been very stressful for me so I know it is feasible this is stress related but I really have difficulty believing it.

ankietyjoe
17-02-20, 17:30
All of that can be explained by stress/anxiety and is all very familiar to me. Muscle tension and twitching alone is putting your legs under constant tension. Imagine how you feel the day after a workout....and then imagine a much milder workout, but one that was lasting for 24 hours a day.

It could also be postural, or anything else 'mechanical'.

It might not be a bad idea to go and see an osteopath. If you find relief after a good kicking (and that's what they do lol) then you know it's a mechanical issue. At worst, they can often give good advice about the after effects of too much stress/tension.

Adam1987
17-02-20, 18:24
Thanks Joe. I've been seeing a chiropractor (with mixed results) about an ongoing neck issue which originally sparked my 6 months of stress but have never considered an osteopath I will consider it. I understand the constant tension but I don't know how to stop it. It doesnt help that I don't sleep but I now have 2 kids under 2 so I'm not going to be sleeping any better any time soon. I very rarely have solid bowel movements anymore either which I'm pretty sure contributes but again no matter what I do or don't eat this doesn't change. Life is tough at the moment.

ankietyjoe
18-02-20, 16:09
How did a neck issue spark 6 months of stress? I'm confused on that one.

Also, life is tough and you're not sleeping. I'm beginning to see a pattern here, perhaps one you're not seeing. If stress can kill you, do you think it's powerful enough to make you feel like crap too?

Elen
18-02-20, 16:31
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Adam1987
18-02-20, 17:16
How did a neck issue spark 6 months of stress? I'm confused on that one.

Also, life is tough and you're not sleeping. I'm beginning to see a pattern here, perhaps one you're not seeing. If stress can kill you, do you think it's powerful enough to make you feel like crap too?

The neck injury was pretty bad did disc damage which then prompted referred arm pain which turned in to really bad tennis elbow in both arms so bad I've had to change to ergonomic mouse and keyboards at work, then someone went in to the back of me in my car which exacerbated all the injuries then I got a throat infection which lasted for 5 weeks meanwhile we had problems with pregnancy (all is fine now) so it just prompted a pretty stressful period.

I saw a different doctor today and she suggested it is all linked to anxiety but to keep my follow up appointment with my regular doctor next week. She suggested I start taking medication again, I was on mirtazapine for 4 weeks from mid December but didn't like the side effects so stopped taking them mid Jan but I'm considering taking a different type (she suggested SSRIs?). I really didn't want to take antidepressants but if these leg pains are because of my anxiety then I think I'm running out of options really. Any advice on types would be helpful if anyone has experience in this? I've seen Citalopram mentioned a few times on here.

ankietyjoe
18-02-20, 22:29
Ok looking back at the previous posts you made in the now merged threads, it's probably a good idea for you to read what you've been writing again. You mentioned that this has been going on for so long, but seem to be missing the idea that as long as you are stressed, the issues will remain. You can't keep feeding the problem and expect it to go away. Your monitoring and worrying about (relatively) minor issues is causing more damage than the issues themselves. I know, because I used to do the same thing.

If I were to be blunt, you're whining about back ache (massively blunt and a little unfair), but I'm trying to deliver a point here. And that is that nothing is actually wrong aside from a little discomfort.

Antidepressants aren't going to make anything go away because the issue is your own cycle of worry about something that's not going to do you any harm. You mentioned a neck injury sparking 6 months of stress, does that sound rational to you?

Even your Doctor is telling you anxiety, so focus on that. Find a way to rationalise the pain/discomfort you are feeling (use mantra's, tell yourself over and over again that the discomfort HAS been explained to you) and focus only on dealing with your anxiety and thought patterns. There is no quick fix for this, it's about you unlearning the negative reactions you've learned (again, we've all done this or are still doing it).

Adam1987
19-02-20, 07:54
Yeah I've read them and I know that over analysing every ache and twinge makes all the problems worse but yeah it's a habit thats hard to shake off but I am trying. The point is though it seems like there is an underlying stress and anxiety that I'm not even aware of sometimes that seems to be enabling a lot of this so it's getting help quietening that down.

Oh and I dont even care about the neck ache anymore ironically. Its flared up in the last week and i cant bend my right ear towards my right shoulder its that bad but I've learned how to cope with the neck pain (and arm pains). The legs is something new and something I am really struggling with physically at the minute - they just tire so easily that it's hard to accept its anxiety but I will be trusting the doctor on this one, but it's just getting help quietening that internal noise down as evidentally I'm not making a good go of it on my own.

ankietyjoe
19-02-20, 12:46
When you become stressed and anxious, it can take a very long time to 'come down' again. Often months, assuming you're doing all the right things to recover. It's quite possibly that you're in a self sustaining loop of worry of anxiety, and anxiety of worry etc.

Stress could also be invisible. You could be over working, under sleeping, eating badly, smoking or drinking. All those things can have a cumulative effect on your overall stress levels and your ability to cope with anxiety and day to day life. People underestimate just how important diet and exercise are in mental wellbeing. But....too much exercise can be just as damaging.

It's a really good idea to try and stand back and have a think about what you can do to improve your overall health. It doesn't matter if it's physical or mental as you really can't separate the two.

As for internal noise, that's something else you can deal with too. Read up on mindfulness and meditation. These are not relaxation tools, they are exercises to help the brain switch off that mental noise over time. It's the subconscious noise that most often causes problems for people, and meditation allows you to become aware of that noise, without allowing it to cause problems in your conscious mind. It's extremely effective IF you practice it.

Adam1987
19-02-20, 13:23
Yeah it's frustrating but pretty much everything you mention there I do or have done. I eat healthily, I exercise albeit more difficult with kids now and these leg pains have pretty much put a stop on exercise for now and i do mindfulness/meditation. I dont do it every day and know the benefits are only really found by regular practice but finding the time isnt easy. My biggest stressors are work which I'm seriously considering taking a career change but will have to accept less money and the other one is myself. Based on what you're saying it might take months for me to come down if I get a grip on it now

ankietyjoe
19-02-20, 14:04
There's no 'might' about recovery times. It will take months, and accepting that isn't a bad thing.

If you know your job is the source of your stress, get out. If you think it's hard now, how bad do you think that level of stress is going to affect you when you're 40, 45, 50 etc.

It's good that you've already got a grip on many aspects of your health, and it shouldn't be too hard to make time for meditation. It's often cited that people don't have time to do it, but we're talking 10 minutes twice a day, that is more than enough for now. Meditation practice requires commitment and has to be done every day.