PDA

View Full Version : Knocks at door?

Toby2000
17-02-20, 21:44
I was downstairs with my mum and there were 3-4 loud knocks on the front door

My mum went to answer it like 15-30 seconds after (probably the former)

and there was no one there:shrug:

I've read that hearing 3 knocks can be a sign of death/bad luck

Or maybe our house has been marked by killers who are gonna break in

I looked out the window like 1 min after the knock and saw two people walking away in the distance, they were only visible from this particular window as it was behind another house up the road, and they looked like two males so maybe they were two of either of my 2 sisters' friends?

But I'm quite worried

venusbluejeans
17-02-20, 21:50
Hearing knocks at a door means that someone has knocked at the door (or the neighbours door) ..... and absolutely nothing else

nomorepanic
17-02-20, 22:31
There is absolutely nothing to worry about here - someone knocked on the door - no big deal really.

brucealmighty
17-02-20, 22:44
Toby, god forgive me for answering your absolute bilge, but what have you been watching now?

killers who knock the door, don`t wait for an answer then walk off? Has someone put a hit on you or your mum? Did you once upset a mafia don by blathering on about rectal cancer until he decided to have you taken out?

charity collectors, jehovahs witnesses, kids wanting oddjobs for pocket money, neighbours needing help, travellers hawking for gardening work - any number of possibilities really.

what are you worried about exactly this time? and if you really thought that 3 knocks signify death or bad luck, why the bloody hell did you let your poor long suffering mum go to answer it?

As always this sounds more like boredom and an over active mind has bitten you on the arse my friend

and not to give you more to think about, but chalk marks outside your house, beer bottles left randomly by your gate, or post left half out of your letterbox to see if anyone takes it in tend to be signs your house is being watched or targeted.

Sleep tight

AntsyVee
17-02-20, 23:42
Wow...this is pretty paranoid. Are you agoraphobic, Toby?

WiseMonkey
17-02-20, 23:55
This happens from time to time in most neighbourhoods and can be a bit scary at night, however it is what it is and that's it! You have to see it as such and stop yourself from slipping into magical thinking!

Fishmanpa
18-02-20, 00:01

I heard it means someone is in love with you (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT5ms2Nvpco)!

Positive thoughts

BlueIris
18-02-20, 08:45
Toby, can you see how this might be construed as being a bit irrational?

ankietyjoe
18-02-20, 09:11

Wherever you read that, don't go to that place again.

Carys
18-02-20, 11:34
Wherever you read that, don't go to that place again.

Yeah :roflmao:Someone knocked the door, it means someone knocked the door, as has been said above. It happens - people make a mistake (wrong house ?), people do it to be annoying (they do round this way) or any number of possibilities. I know you don't like having a lack of a concrete reason for things, and then instantly jump to paranoia and delusions (if thats the right term), but just like everything else you need to rationalise and come up with other likely possibilites. This is something that comes up with you now and again e.g. the toy from your Grandpa that made a noise in the night. Sometimes we need to accept that we won't know why something happens - this is something that I have problems with too - and just presume it as non-sinister and 'one of those things'.

Toby2000
18-02-20, 18:13
I'm quite a 'magical thinker'/superstisious, so I was scared that it was a sign of something horrible... just like I do with every small thing that happens like that

I'm still here today, so I guess it wasn't a sign

At the time myself and my mum thought it was a delivery or something but then no one was there

Nope I'm not agoraphobic

brucealmighty
18-02-20, 21:05
are you on any medication or supplements for your anxiety Toby? I only ask because I remember way back when I was badly troubled with depression and anxiety I`d see everything as a sign of death or serious bad luck.

and I mean as silly as someone dying who had the same first name as any family member, someone famous dying who I was a fan of, getting ill on someones birthday, I would try to make links and sense of it all, I suppose a form of magical thinking but I didn`t know the term back then

have you heard of tapping where you tap acupressure points while humming or reciting an affirmation? that really helped me and has been found to help with all manner of mental health problems

worth a try

please don`t instantly come back and tell me why you can`t or won`t try it, I`m just making possibly a final attempt to give a crap, don`t throw it back at me

good luck, you can get better but not by blogging trivial cak for the fun of it

Toby2000
19-02-20, 22:27
are you on any medication or supplements for your anxiety Toby? I only ask because I remember way back when I was badly troubled with depression and anxiety I`d see everything as a sign of death or serious bad luck.

and I mean as silly as someone dying who had the same first name as any family member, someone famous dying who I was a fan of, getting ill on someones birthday, I would try to make links and sense of it all, I suppose a form of magical thinking but I didn`t know the term back then

have you heard of tapping where you tap acupressure points while humming or reciting an affirmation? that really helped me and has been found to help with all manner of mental health problems

worth a try

please don`t instantly come back and tell me why you can`t or won`t try it, I`m just making possibly a final attempt to give a crap, don`t throw it back at me

good luck, you can get better but not by blogging trivial cak for the fun of it

I'm on sertraline. They've definitely helped a lot, I think I'd be worse than this if I didn't have them

I'm the same with magical thinking... sometimes if I don't do something a certain number of times it leads me to believe that something bad will happen, if I don't perform a 'ritual' then I can't relax. My mum's dad died when she was 14 so AGES ago I thought she'd die when I was 14, continuing some sort of generational pattern. And a random seemingly broken device in my room started making noises a couple of years ago which I thought was my granddad telling me that I had cancer

I will try that. I think my problem is that I run to the forum too quickly because it's my safe zone. Next time I'll try not to make a thread and let the anxiety simmer down

Thanks for the insight

brucealmighty
19-02-20, 23:01
The technique is called thought field therapy theres allsorts online about it. I totally get the safe zone bit, years back I had a particular end of the sofa where I would be ok.

Keep talking and opening up on here and it'll all come together in time.