PDA

View Full Version : anticipation

louwilliams
05-10-07, 13:41
My panic attacks started about 5 years ago, for no apparent reason, they just started coming out of the blue. Once i was diagnosed i was given beta-blockers first but they didn't seem to help deal with the underlying problem. i was then put on 10mg cipralex which have taken the big ones away (as in rushed into hospital and being made to feel like i'm wasting the doctors time!) i still have reqular, although smaller attacks, usually every day lasting from about 10 mins to a couple of hours. i have had to give up work as the ritual of getting ready and psycing (?) myself up was just too much for me. i'd leave the house an hour early for work- my job was a 5 min walk from home- knowing i could turn back if things got too much and then set back off when i felt better. i feel like i can't plan anything - if i know i'm going out or someone is coming round etc it sets me off and then make excuses. i've lost so many friends as they assume i'm just being boring or ignorant. i'm not ashamed of my illness-it just gets a bit much to try to explain to someone who has no understanding or sympathy. i have 2 girls, 9&10, and the school walks are horrific-i often ask my partner or friend to either come with me or get them for me as i have to walk through a town centre to get them. my way of dealing with the attacks is to hibernate-go to bed and stay there till it passes, whether its half and hour or all day. i suffer really badly after the attack as i feel so drained. it has caused major arguements with my partner who, until i recently plucked up the courage to tell him properly about it all (after i was taken by ambulance to A&E) that he has started to recognise my symptons and actually tels me to go to bed and he sorts the girls out. sometimes it alll just gets the better of me and i break down, wishing it all to stop and thinks to myself "is this as good as my life is going to get? is this it?" i'm really trying to work through it and accept that this is part of my life-like having a broken leg for the rest of your life-you just have to adapt to it-but its so hard when i can't leave the house, or go for a nice meal or drink with friends or family. i started applying for jobs again but found i couldn't get myself to the interviews. i wish i could work from home but i feel that this would just add to the avoidance of getting out and about.

Believe
05-10-07, 14:03
Hello L,

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. Have you read the post that Michelle put on here today : Tips for Dealing with Panic and Anxiety? If not it's great. Please read it. Also check out her sucess story that's something else and it give us all hope and faith.

And there are lots of us here to talk to when you are down and need a lift.

I hope to talk to you soon. Take Care and hang on we are all here for you.:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Take Care
Believe

I Believe That In Time We All Will Get Better!!!!!!!!

Bill
08-10-07, 00:08
Hello L,
It sounds like you've been down the familiar route. A panic attack leading to medication. When one type doesn't work, another is tried and when one is found, the dose is often increased because they don't cure the problem entirely. Then work becomes harder and we start altering our daily programme. Then we start living within a safety belt which depresses us. This means losing friends and often losing our job. We end up avoiding going out and feeling really down and drained.

I know because it happened to me BUT it doesn't mean the spiral can't stop and there's no way out because there IS with the right approach.

L, DON'T adapt to it, DON'T psych yourself up and DON'T accept it'll always be a part of your life. They're the wrong approach.

Backtrack in your mind to your very first attack. Analyse why it happened. Then decide whether the cause or causes still exist today. If the cause does still exist but you can't do anything to change it, seek therapy through your doctor. If the cause no longer exists, then say to yourself its no longer there so there's nothing to fear. If you can believe in what you tell yourself then the panics WILL stop.

Also, I know therapy is hard to come by sometimes so if my wife suffered panics, my approach would be to work with her to build her confidence whilst reassuring her there's nothing to fear while either doing a chore together or being out with her. In other words, be her therapist.:winks:

Jaco45er
08-10-07, 06:52
Hi L

As far as books go, I have never heard of this "panic away" book and the cost is too high.

Have a look for "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Claire Weekes. I found it very good and its less than a tenner.

Good luck

Jaco

Jaco45er
08-10-07, 19:29
Well I am glad it worked for you.

Jaco