PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

gginhimas
05-10-07, 15:56
Hi! to all the people out there.I pray that u all feel better asap. I'm 40 years old and have had OCD since 22. I've had my ups and downs but have managed to manage my condition fairly to very successfuly. When i developed my condition which included intrusive thoughts as the main symptom the suffering was so profound i learned through the first 10 years of therapy the most important word of my life, 'desensitize'.

I decided to practice exposing my self to these thoughts to such an extent that it brought great results. i would spend more time than necessary in subjecting myself to any situation that created anxiety and concentrate on the stimulus that i had learned to panic at in order that i could learn to refocus like the average person does.

I've been very lucky living in Sydney because i've had a lot of proffessional help for over 17 years with doctors as well as a couple of professors without having to pay money for. If i may be able to give some advice to anyone that feels helpless, please give your self permission to beleive that while you might not cure ur self you can definitely help ur self immensely by starting out slowly in exposing ur self to your fears and immersing ur self in them so that you will become bored and be able to 'naturally' refocuss on ur desired place.

Rewiring the brain is the hardest task i've ever encountered but with time, pain and hard i'm not suffering at all to the extent i have in the past. It's so easy for me to forget this sometimes as i'm caught up with everything around me. I guess thats part of the cure as well as the reason for all that i am.

I will be going to India and Nepal in 12 days where i shall do a trek in the Annapurna region of the Himalayas and although i'm a little anxious it has to be done. I cannot allow any fears getting in the way of my passion for life otherwise i haven't got one.

Love and regards to all!

George

groovygranny
05-10-07, 17:50
Wow George :welcome:to you!

Glad you found us!

I cannot allow any fears getting in the way of my passion for life otherwise i haven't got one.

I couldn't agree more and wish you all the best in your endeavours.

You are about to embark on one of my greatest dreams - you really must take a wireless laptop and satellite dish with you so you can keep us updated !!:blush:

Just leave a couple of unecessary things behind to make room for it - like clothes, spare boots and toilet rolls!!:ohmy:

I'm a great believer in rewiring the brain - mine is still in the process!

Pleased to meet you!

:)

nomorepanic
05-10-07, 19:32
George

:welcome: aboard and lovely to see you.

Thanks for the lovely positive post and good luck on your trip

Nibbles
05-10-07, 20:22
Hi George and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

KittyKate
05-10-07, 21:53
Hello and welcome to the forum :hugs: x

honeybee3939
05-10-07, 23:20
Hi George

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice, support and make new friends too.:smile:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

trac67
06-10-07, 00:32
Hi

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

Lindalou64
06-10-07, 00:47
Hello Goerge And Welcome..........linda

gginhimas
06-10-07, 17:16
Thanks to all of you for your support and i look forward to communicating with you more

regards

gg

manmoor
06-10-07, 18:15
Hi George,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Believe
06-10-07, 18:24
Hi George

Welcome to NMP. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Take Care
Believe