PDA

View Full Version : just taken my first med...scared...

peach
05-10-07, 23:26
hi all,

ive just swallowed my first med...sertraline- half a tablet with food as prescribed by my doc.
now im pretrifed something really bad will happen to me!!!!
i can throw it up again within like an hour, but what about when its absorbed!!! will my throat choke up? will i have seizures?
will my heart stop?
im too scared to read the possibel side effects on the box, that would only make me worse...my doc said at worst ill prob get dry throat...
cross fingers....:weep:

northern_sky
06-10-07, 01:24
Don't worry. I was terrified when I first took one of my tablets. I spent the first week convinced I couldn't breathe. 3 months later I can (as I could then) breathe fine and they help. Hope yours help too. :)

peach
06-10-07, 06:19
well, i felt fine for about an hour, then threw up then felt like i was going crazy for about an hour, now...hours later, still feel messed up, tired and headachey and just plain off...that was so awful!!!!

im definatly no taking that again!

im gonna have t try something else...theres no way i can handle feeling like that again!....awful!
awful!
awful!

still feel like i got a temp...ugh

Bill
07-10-07, 00:54
Hello peach,

I've been down the medication route and tried all the various tablets including sertraline, cipramil, seroxat, prozac, valium etc etc etc until the doctor said I'd tried everything!

Nothing bad ever happened to me except for the usual side-effects like nausea. Seroxat was the worst as it gave me weird sensations and valium was the worst to come off due to its addictiveness!

All of them lifted my mood for a period of time but none had any real effect on my anxiety so the doses were just increased.

I'm not saying they don't help some people with their symptoms but I don't feel they actually "cure" anxiety because it's within our own abilities to achieve this.

In other words, I learnt to cope with anxiety without the need of medication so I'm sure you will too. :winks:

peach
07-10-07, 09:37
hi bill,

thanks for that. ive been dealing with the anx for about 2 years now without meds, i was just getting sick of feeling all the anx symptoms every day for so long now, guess im just feeling worn down from it lately.

you are right though.
i guess ill stick with the rescue remedy..and keep xanax incase of panic attack...

day after that pill, and i still feel a bit weird and lightheaded.....so annoying!

thanks heaps for your reply tho, much appreciated.

Bill
08-10-07, 01:06
Hello Peach,
I'm glad to be of help! I know how you're feeling. Anxiety Can wear us down!

The worst thing I found about ad's was like you say, the nausea etc. When anxiety makes us feel ill, the last thing we need are side-effects adding to it! I was told the side-effects wear off in a few days but it normally takes 2 weeks for ad's to actually start working. I just felt they were messing with my mind. My panics were actually worse while I was on them.

I wish you well peach. :hugs:

Livvy
08-10-07, 01:58
Hey Peach,
I've had some tough times with side effects with all the different meds i have tried, but its still worth giving it a go as the meds may help you. I think the hardest thing when you first start taking the medication is the fact that you are really accepting and admitting to yourself that you have a problem. You just need to push through the first few weeks of taking the meds and it will get easier. But if you dont feel you are up to taking medications try the alternative stuff like herbal and natural therapies :) I haven't been too successful with meds and am now trying different types of natural stuff.. theres so much out there, just a matter of finding what works for you!

Good luck xx

lestes
08-10-07, 03:01
hello peach,
i have taken alot of medication too. my doctor told me that he had me on the lowest doses possible, because the side effect of the meds lasted on me for week or more. my doc said i have a low tolerance and i had to take meds different. i suffered from panic and anxiety for 6 months. i found this book called panic away. you have to get this book. i no longer have to take meds and i'm getting my life back the way it was. we don't have to suffer like this everyday. panic away teaches us how to get our lives back the way they need to be. i do believe in this book and think that any panic and anxiety suffer needs it. you click on my signature to get panic away.

good luck.