PDA

View Full Version : Fruit and IBS

Bill
07-10-07, 02:46
They say 5 a day is good for us but I find it often goes straight through me so how do you eat as they say and keep healthy without wanting to...ermm.....so often, or is that the idea? Of course acidic fruit doesn't help an already acidic tummy either!

Anyone or dieticians out there with any knowledge on this or suggestions!!!?:huh:

nanny
07-10-07, 11:06
Hi Bill

That doesn't make sense to me either:blush: luckily for me i don't suffer with IBS but my sister does along with diverculitis.

She has just had a consultation with a dietician and was told to start eating more healthily including fruit:ohmy: so i don't really know what to suggest:shrug: she is the same and has to "run" all the tme, i have seen her in agony after eating and i feel helpless as i can't do anything for her!!

I wonder if having one of those 5 a day drinks would have less acid in them than actually eating 5 a day:shrug: just a thought.

Bill
08-10-07, 01:26
Hello nanny,

I'm trying eating bananas! They're fruit but not acidic.....but I'd still love to know what to do about the acidic stuff! :wacko:

nanny
08-10-07, 08:54
:wacko:
Me too Bill,
if you ever find out let me know so i can tell my sister:shrug:

:hugs:

strawberrie
08-10-07, 09:31
hi bill, as far as i know, if you are increasing the fibre in your diet you need to do this slowly, as it messes up your stomach having a sudden increase. You also need to make sure you drink lots of water, i'm not sure why, i think maybe because the fibre needs to soak up the water or something. :shrug:

When my son suffered from constipation nhs direct told me to try and get him to eat lots of fruit, but that bananas could actually make constipation worse, so that makes me think that bananas wouldnt go straight through you? It might be worth experimenting a little bit with different types of fruit and veg and seeing what affect they have, as i dont think they all make your body react the same way.

mag

Bill
09-10-07, 02:41
Thank you strawberrie :hugs: ,

I've recently started to drink more just as you've suggested. I'm eating a banana a day and it seems to be working but last night I just had a couple of small pears and 3 times it happened this morning! Not a nice subject I know but So annoying! It's just I like fruit but they don't like me!

Thanks again for your advice. :hugs:

What an apt name considering the subject matter...strawberrie! I like them too! :D

Dying_Swan
10-10-07, 19:34
Hey Bill.

An interesting thread :)

I'm not too sure what to suggest here. Bananas - yup, great stuff. I think they kinda 'bind' things....I know I always eat them when I've had a bad tummy. So they shouldn't give you too many problems.

I find Apricots good too - they are also supposed to help with anxiety, although I have no evidence for that!

Berries are lovely but definitely not so good for keeping things 'calm'. Why not try eating more vegetables and less fruit? You can still get your nutrients but perhaps they don't have the same impact on the old bowels :winks:

xxx

Bill
11-10-07, 02:44
Hello "alive and well" swan,:D live in hope!

Thank you for your tips. I'm sure you're right. It does seem some fruit are worse than others. Pineapple doesn't cause a problem and yet some other acidic fruits my poor tummy can't take!

Bananas are certainly working ok and I do eat plenty of veg! Curious about apricots. I didn't know that.

Thank you for replying. Swans are beautiful, aren't they!:) I Love swan lake!

Karen
11-10-07, 04:17
Hi Bill

This is an interesting thread. I have a problem with stomach acid due to anorexia and eating problems and so although I prefer eating fruit I do find if I eat too much I also get problems and think I have some IBS too.

Have you read the article about IBS on the website here (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=ibs) which contains some useful information?

Some fruits are less acidic, like bananas and eating fruit with other foods can also help.

Hope this helps, eg like in smoothies with yoghurt etc.

Karen xx

Bill
11-10-07, 15:11
Thank you Karen,

I didn't realise the article went into so much depth on the subject. It's helped me to identify some of my causes. I wondered why I always suffer after having muesli! That'll teach me to explore this site more!!! There's always something to learn! I'll study what it says.

Thanks again Karen and of course Nicola and NMP. You've been most helpful!:hugs:

cuppatea
14-03-11, 20:07
I have a banana every day usually, which is fine as long as it isn't over or under-ripe.

Cooked fruit and veggies are often said to be easier for IBS sufferers to cope with- personally I find most raw fruits set me off and definitely veg, but cooked root vegetables like carrots and parsnips are fine and even fruits seem easier when cooked, like apple or pear in crumble.

I'd highly recommend cooked apple and natural yoghurt, it's yummy :-) I miss apples in my lunchboxes but they are a guarenteed tummy ache sadly!