PDA

View Full Version : Bad panic attacks

Remodelman2
27-01-05, 03:10
A family member of mine has just started to have panic attacks, but they dont seem to have the regular symptoms. When she has them she falls to the ground and lays there with a blank stare, she forgets to breathe, and sometimes a part of her will shake. When she comes out of it she cant remember that she had it at all, does anyone have any suggestions or experience with these kind of attacks?

FAN
27-01-05, 18:17
im not too sure that is panic attack it sounds like petit mal epilepsy both my sons suffer from it and the symptoms are exactly the same, it sounds too severe to be panic although most people with panic feel they are going to pass out and fall over im not sure many actually do

fan x

vernon
27-01-05, 18:43
hi, welcome to the site. Yes same as fan said i am sure, a panic attack is about fear and its remembering and fearing a panic attack that causes more. hope u can sort it out. take care vernon

nomorepanic
27-01-05, 18:52
Hi

This sounds more severe than a panic attack to be honest.

Has she been to a doctor about it?

Nicola

seh1980
27-01-05, 18:59
hello there,

I agree with the others - it does sound like something more severe than a panic attack. It could be a type of epilepsy as there are many different forms though it doesn't sound like a severe kind. A doctor's appointment would be the best way forward.

Sarah :D

Sue
27-01-05, 19:20
As the others have said, I wouldnt have thought that this was a panic attack as it would be most unusual to forget it,quite the opposite is normally the case.

I agree that a docs appointment is the best answer here.

Sue

Remodelman2
27-01-05, 21:13
The doctors say that it is panic disorder. I dont know what to think.

Remodelman2
28-01-05, 02:21
Ive done some reading on petit-mal seizures. They usually occur in children or teenagers 20 or younger, She is 19. She hasnt had any signs of them before now. The symptoms seem to match up though. Shes been to two doctors and both of them say panic disorder, but ive never heard of any panic disorder do this to anyone.

jill
28-01-05, 09:09
Hi,

As the others have said, this dose not sound like a PA.
When you say 2 doctors, do you mean GP.
I think your family member needs more investergation,
there is no harm going back to the GP armed with information on
PA and seizures and telling them your concerns.

Let us know how you get on,

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

FAN
28-01-05, 16:51
keep on going back to the gp i had to take my sons loads of times before they sorted them out as most people have the bad epilepsy attacks and this seems to get overlooked

fan x

Meg
01-02-05, 15:40
The only thing that could cause this associated with panic is if immediately before the faint she is severely hyperventilating and thus her blood carbon dioxide will decrease to the point where she faints and doesn't breathe for a few moments in order to allow the body to readjust itself to a normal o2/ co2 level in the blood. Its unusual but it does happen to the very small minority.
You can often tell by how they are just beforehand and if you have any warning get her breathing into a paper bag and if it is this - she will not collapse. They often complain of tingling extremeties first.

Its certainly worth getting her investigated thoroughly for any other cause petit mal or other causes.

Let us know what is found.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance