PDA

View Full Version : Help - Richard Beckinsale documentary

Panic1971
07-10-07, 17:17
I have just watched a bit of a documentary on the late Richard Beckinsale. He wife was talking about how he lived in panic and fear and hated being on his own.

Then he died at the age of 31 from a heart attack whilst he was on his own. He had no cardiac problems.

So worried now.

Could this constant fight against panic/anxiety bring on a heart attack?

Surely the stress of it all must have some long term damage to your health.

Tom_M
07-10-07, 17:42
Hi Panic1971

Suffering constant anxiety is not good for you, but I don't think you are going to suffer a sudden heart attack due to anxiety, without having some form of congenital heart disease. Just look at the millions of soldiers that suffered prolonged anxiety and fear during the last war, and then lived to a ripe old age.

Tom

Bill
07-10-07, 23:20
I wanted to say that I agree with all of Toms comments. I know people in old age who have always had anxiety. There are lots of causes but as far as I know anxiety on its own is not one of them.

It's probably the wrong advice to give but I couldn't see the point of watching or listening to programmes that I knew would worry me, especially when the subject is beyond my control so I didn't watch them. Why fuel my anxiety just to make me worry and feel ill??? :shrug:

If it was part of a therapy course to de-sensitise then maybe sufferers could because in that situation they'd be support but otherwise.....my suggestion would be to ask a friend about the programme who could then reassure you with anything they've told you that's worried you. And if no one you know has seen the programme so you miss it, would it matter? Sometimes ignorance can be bliss, especially when it's about a subject that won't affect you or you can do nothing about.

I know its the wrong approach but I'd rather not watch things I know could worry me.:shrug:

Piglet
08-10-07, 14:29
Funny I caught that programme too but I totally agree with the others and hey my mum has had anxiety for the past 30 odd years and she's now 77.

Also one of his friends mentioned that he had very high cholesterol which they didn't test for quite so much as they do these days did they!!

Love Piglet :flowers:

Panic1971
08-10-07, 14:56
I only caught the last 10 minutes of the programme when I was waiting for the X Factor to come on.

It just really scared me that he had suffered from panic etc and then died at the age of 31. I didnt know he had high cholestrol. His wife had said he lived in fear of fear and hated to be left alone.

I just thought maybe the panic/anxiety had caused him to have a fatal heart attack.

I dont normally watch programmes that are going to make my anxiety worse and didnt know this programme was on, just caught it by accident!

Piglet
08-10-07, 18:47
No hun think it was more of an unhappy coincidence him having anxiety and that - so don't you be worrying on it anymore.

Hey I did watch X factor too later on - I cried my head off when all the different people got told they didn't get through, did you?? My youngest says she won't let me watch it if I continue to cry harder than the contestants lol!!

Love Piglet :flowers:

Bill
09-10-07, 00:32
Hello Ann,
It's probably the worst senario turning the tv on and a programme we wouldn't normally watch is on, and to only see the last 10 minutes so miss the full story.

Sorry, I know it happens. :flowers: I was just speaking personally and in general about these programmes. :hugs:

On a similar subject, some programmes like soap operas seem to be So nasty and set such a bad example, and yet people watch them. I've never understood why.:shrug: Wouldn't it be nice if we could watch a programme where people are actually Just nice to each other! :shrug:

Panic1971
09-10-07, 07:09
Its okay Bill - I know what you mean. I try not to watch upsetting programmes as I know it triggers my anxiety/panic. Thanks for the advice though:yesyes:

In saying that - I did watch the X factor Piglet - and I was so very close to crying myself. You just feel for them, dont you? Especially when they have to go home and tell their family and friends.

Thanks for the advice everyone :hugs: