PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about tetanus

beq45
27-02-20, 17:26
Just an hour ago, I noticed something embedded in the skin on one of my fingers. I concluded that it was either hair or a fine piece of metal from lifting weights in the gym this morning and that it hadn’t been there long. I got the splinter removed, but am now wondering if I need to make a special trip to the doctor.

For context, I am a 28 year old male and the last tetanus shot I received was 10.5 years ago. I would really hate to take time off from work unless I need to

nomorepanic
27-02-20, 19:49
I think you are worrying over nothing to be honest.

I can't see why you would need to see a doctor though?

beq45
27-02-20, 19:59
Well people have gotten tetanus from a splinter before and I’ve over the recommended amount of time (10 years) between doses of the vaccine.

I called the doctor and they were trying to get me in the office a few days from now...

ankietyjoe
27-02-20, 21:08
I think you're adding 1 + 1 and getting 254.3

It must be a one in a million chance of getting an infection from a splinter. My kids get them every other week.

Fishmanpa
27-02-20, 21:21

It must be a one in a million chance of getting an infection from a splinter.

True dat!

Positive thoughts

beq45
28-02-20, 01:36

It must be a one in a million chance of getting an infection from a splinter. My kids get them every other week.

I know it's rare, but my concern is I'm 6 months overdue for my tetanus vaccine, as my last dose was 10 years and 6 months ago, and the recommended time frame is every 10 years. My doctor's office was trying to schedule me for early next week, which wouldn't help me if I was truly exposed to the bacteria that causes tetanus.

ankietyjoe
28-02-20, 08:16
Humans beings existed for tens of thousands of years without tetanus shots. You are (again) focusing on an absolute worst case 1 in a million scenario. You have an immune system, don't forget you have an immune system.

Carys
28-02-20, 09:36
I looked up tetanus advice only recently, I had two dog bites on my hand last week that were accidental, drew blood but not deep, from my old dog. I discovered that there is an over prescription of tetanus boosters in general. In the UK on an annual basis there are approx. 4 cases of tetanus (the most common route of getting it being from soil). In ALL of those cases, year after year, they were people who had had no childhood vaccines at all. SO, it is more and more being seen that the tetanus boosters are probably not required providing the childhood programme was followed. If people can't recall their childhood vaccines, or sometimes 'just to be on the safe side' for older people they give the booster. As for the splinter, they surely happen all the time, I know I have them very often from gardening. What did I do myself? (and I'm decades over the booster time frame) I did what AnkietyJoe said above, disinfected and 'trusted to my immune system'. :)