PDA

View Full Version : Child's fever not letting up

pray4me
02-03-20, 17:25
My 8-year old has been unwell for a week. He's been tired and fussy and running a temperature ranging from 99F to 103F. We took him to urgent care on Saturday. He tested negative for the flu. The doctor said he has no chest/nasal/ear congestion. He does not have a cold or cough. The doctor felt some swollen nodes on one side - they are not visible and I could not feel them without digging. We were told to wait a couple of days and return if the fever persist after the weekend. Well, he's still feverish. And we have an appointment for today evening. I am trying hard to drive away negative thoughts and stay calm. But it's really hard. I have a important work thing this evening so will not be going to the appointment with him. This is making me feel worse. I'd appreciate any words of comfort.

pray4me
02-03-20, 20:10
Anyone had a similar experience, and it turned out ok?

jules321
05-03-20, 05:14
How is your son?

pray4me
05-03-20, 17:07
Thank you so much for checking. He is ok now but it was a bit of an ordeal. At his doctor's appointment we were told he might have an abscess in his neck. We were advised to go to the ER. We did as told, and my son had a CT scan in the ER which showed no abscess but an infection starting to build up b/w his right tonsil and the wall of his neck muscles. He was admitted for 2 nights and given IV antibiotics. We're back home now and will be continuing the antibiotic course for a few days. I'm just grateful it is something that can be treated. I was hesitant to update as I did not want to alarm other parents of young kids. But our situation was unique as my son also had one-sided neck pain along with the fever.

ankietyjoe
06-03-20, 09:38
It would be unusual for a child not to experience something like this at least once or twice.

My youngest had a really bad fever for 10 days once, and didn't eat a single thing for 9 days. We called NHS direct who were fairly unconcerned and just said as long as he's drinking water and responding to talk, not to worry. They didn't even feel it was necessary for a Doctor to see him.

It's really easy to overreact when it's children though. I know I did.

Glad your son is feeling better.

jules321
06-03-20, 15:49
Wow I’m so sorry you all went through that, and I’m really glad he’s feeling better!