PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone! A very worried newbie here

KayMK
04-03-20, 14:30
Just thought I would join to get some advice and stories from other sufferers!
Been taking 40mg fluoxetine for 5 weeks now and my anxiety seems no better! How long should I give it. My Doctor said 8 weeks but Im not sure if I can last that long. Could it be making me worse before it gets better.
Need a bit of positivity over here!

whispershadow
04-03-20, 14:37
Hi and welcome :welcome:

Meds always take time to work, if the doctor said 8 weeks then try and hold on for that length of time if you can, changing meds around too soon would stop the right meds from working :hugs:

venusbluejeans
04-03-20, 14:40
Hiya KayMK and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and
are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and
support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

KayMK
04-03-20, 15:02
Thanks. I just feel like its taking so long to inprove. Some days its worse. I have taken it before but stopped in October. I had a mild anxiety attack 5 weeks ago and panicked I would be as ill as last time so just started myself back on the higher dose(I had some from before).
One dr I saw said that was why I had worsening anxiety but someone else I saw wasnt so sure.
Anyone had any experience of that?

Confetti
11-03-20, 15:23
Welcome, has your doctor not offered you talking therapy in tandem with medication? I am of the mind that they should always be offered together as medication can just act like a plaster if you have never explored the roots so to speak. Also do not be afraid of trying a different medication, some simply do not take well to certain medications and it can be a patient trial and error.