PDA

View Full Version : How to get over the fear of medical tests?

MamaCass
04-03-20, 22:15
Ive been dealing with a stomach and bowel issue for the past 4 months. 6 Drs say IBS and bloods are fine, I on the other hand am not fine. Lots of stomach gurgling bowel rumbling and loose stools combined with slight constipation, constantly for 4 months.

Ive been struggling to get hold of an appointment to see another dr as I think i need more tests done, eg, stool test or other to see what is going on, but im petrified.

Any advice on how I can face having these tests or any coping tips if I have the tests and anxiously waiting for results.

Thanks.

roseanxiety
05-03-20, 04:50
Following this . I have this fear too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carnation
05-03-20, 09:41
A difficult one Cass, but when the symptoms are ongoing for a length of time and impede your life so much to the point of despair and worry, then a test is the only solution.
I would tell however about your anxiety when having tests to speed up the results and in the meantime keep yourself occupied. It's not being a coward telling people you are scared, it's brave. x

ToasterOvens
06-03-20, 21:10
I think it's more important to trust the healthcare professionals. Asking for more tests and not believing those is not going to help.

I had a similar experience with stomach issues that were put down to IBS and anxiety. They lasted a really long time. Eventually I just put faith in the doctors who have our best interests in mind and put my energy into chores around the house and exercise. The symptoms went away.

MamaCass
07-03-20, 19:04
Thankyou. Im just so scared its something more sinister :(

Carys
07-03-20, 19:24
I think if you've been told IBS, the bloods are fine (therefore no sign of inflammation) and your symptoms say IBS (which they do) then why are more tests needed ? - sorry - is it 6 doctors that have diagnosed IBS ????

MamaCass
08-03-20, 00:53
Yes 6 Drs.
I understand people with IBS have cramps and some dont....I dont. I also understand people get mucus with IBS. I had my gallbladder removed nearly coming up to 11 years ago so I have to take colestyramine to stop me from having accidents. I would just like to find out why Im having undigested foods and these very loud noises under my ribs and my right hand side constantly day and night and they get louder as soon as I swallow my first bite of food and last all day and everyday like that for 4 whole months?!.
I might look/sound unintelligent, but im far from that and even if its nothing sinister like my anxiety tells me it is, then its definately something else bar IBS. Id be happy to have a few noises now and then but when its like water going through empty pipes and it can be heard in public, its embarrassing and its effecting me mentally too. Unfortunately its something Ive been unable to ignore.
I may just pay out and go private plus see a natural Dr to see if they tell me any different.

Carys
08-03-20, 19:37
Do you have any follow-up ever about the gallbladder issue ? Just wondering really, as I'm sure there was someone on here who had also had their gallbladder removed and said that they had side effects from the medication you take. Mind, I guess you probably would have had those side effects before if it was the med - after 11 years. Just wondering really, as the side effects of that medication are what you describe.

MamaCass
08-03-20, 21:04
No, never had a follow up. The day of the surgery you have to sign a consent form obviously to have it removed and then sign to say that basically life can sometimes never been the same after its removed. I guess I got the bad card.
These noises all started before I had started on the cholestyramine. So im unsure. They have only put me back on it in the last 2 months.