PDA

View Full Version : Finally an answer to everything! Now what?

Bobo
08-10-07, 16:32
Hi All

For a few months now I have been suffering some strange symptoms. It started with shortness of breath and trying all day to gulp big lumps of air, like needing to yawn but not quite being able to do so.

Since that started I have been through various processes, started feeling constantly tired regardless of how much sleep I've had, legs have constantly ached and felt useless, dizzy moments, hot and cold flushes and whilst driving I've often felt like I am suddenly the passenger and somebody else is driving which is terrifying.

My interest in anything and everything has completely gone, even things that I really enjoy, I can't concentrate on work and have the attention span of a goldfish.

Just over 3 weeks ago I woke up in a sweat and my heart was beating like hell, I led there taking deep breaths and it passed quite quickly, there was chest pains with it and I was convinced I was having a heart attack and yet I didn't tell my partner for fear that she wouldn't believe me and tell me I was talking nonsense, the next morning I felt awful and was sure I was about to die suddenly, I had a couple more of those palpatations, once watching my partner leave for work and once on the toilet. I walked to the shop down the road and had a sudden strange moment of not knowing where I was, I forced myself through that for fear of embarassment.

Got back home again, emailed my partner to tell her what had happened and I called the Doc. Went to see him and he put me in for an immediate ECG and blood test, ECG showed nothing abnormal so he told me just to take things easy and have some light exercise, back home to await results of blood tests. Got results 2 days later and nothing found other than slightly high cholestrol and a note to see the Doc. Went to see him again and he told me just to eat healthier and get more exercise and make a real effort to give up smoking (I'd convinced myself until today that the shortness of breath was the begining of emphysemia). He booked me in for a hospital appointment to take an ECG whilst on a treadmill. Before that I was going on holiday for 9 days and naturally a bit worried about that.

I went on holiday and most of these symptoms suddenly stopped and I didn't feel anywhere near as tired, the breathing came back a little on the last couple of days, I drove for hours on opposite side of road though with no strange feelings at all. I didn't particularly enjoy the holiday but have no idea why.

On return to UK all these feelings started returning including fear of just about anything that I had to do. I took the treadmill test and other than wearing me out it showed nothing abnormal so I left there after being told nothing was wrong with me and thinking "what the hell is wrong with me then?".

I have hobbies that I have enjoyed for years and the thought of doing them at the moment is horrifying, just not the slightest interest.

I get strange thoughts about doing dumb things (the stepping off the platform type thing) and I have sudden moments of wanting to simply smash everything up thats within reach. Last week I made a sudden decision to fly off to a foreign country to take a week's course learning a dangerous sport. It's completely barmy, we can't really afford it and its not something I have thought much about before but I decided there and then I wanted to do it and booked it. Too late to back out now but I suddenly feel very guilty about doing that to my partner and not sure it is even what I need myself right now, I think it must be the desperate need to have something exciting to concentrate on and take my ind away from these feelings.

So, until today here was I still without any clue what was wrong with me but sure that something was and fearing sudden death at any moment. I've been hoping that something will go wrong again whilst with my partner so that she can see I'm not just potty but of course I feel a little better in her company as she is so laid back. I have absolutely no sex drive at all and don't even like to be touched, noise drives me insane such as a local boy racer with a thumping load stereo and the damn Jack Russel that wakes me up at 6 every morning and barks until gone midnight. I really have a desire to strangle it with my bare hands!

So anyway, today I listened to the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 and he had a section on panic attacks where people were phoning in and explaining their symptoms and an expert was giving advice. I didn't have a clue what a panic attack was, I thought it was just a nonsensical non illness. After listening to that I found this forum and realised I'm suffering from about 80% of the symptoms shown. Now I'm wondering why the doc didn't suggest this after I explained all the symptoms to him and I'm wondering what the hell to do about it now.

Let me quickly explain my situation. Until June I was full time carer for my father until he died suddenly of a heart attack having been fine the day before. During the time I was caring for him I was suffering all kinds of abuse and attacks from a sibling claiming I was robbing him etc, this has continued since and there are legal arguments going on over his will. We still live in his house and all our belongings are in storage where they have been for over 3 years as we were overseas for sometime. The work I do is based from home and involves selling over the internet, I have no interest in it at the moment and it drives me crazy being home alone all day sat in front of a screen, but I'm terrified of going out to work too. This obviously is not helping our finances either and it seems the worse it gets, the less inclined I am to do anything about it, I feel like I'm in self destruct mode.

So that's my story, don't see any light at the end of the tunnel right now and wondering what to do. Oh and I drink about a gallon of coffee per day and feel completely addicted to it even though I'm pretty sure its no good for me:D .

Sorry for the long intro folks, feel better for writing it all down now though!:shades:

Bob

groovygranny
08-10-07, 16:44
Hello Bobo:welcome:to you!

Wow! You are having a rotten time - sounds to me like a classic case of depression and anxiety/panic...all the symptoms are there but only a GP will be able to tell you for sure.

And that's what I, and others here, would advise you to do.

My problem also came to light after the death of my father, when I too lost total interest in things that had previously brought me great joy - and I reckon it may have something to do with the adrenalin 'low' we hit after such a frantic time. But, again only a GP can determine that for you.

But, I will tell you this, there is light at the end of the tunnel and you'll get plenty of help and support here to enable you to see it.

Pleased to meet you - fell free to pm me anytime if you wish!

:)

Bobo
08-10-07, 16:59
So should I tell the Doc what I myself thinks it is, I can't believe that neither my GP or the Doc in hospital suggested this after explaining about my heart racing suddenly in the night and my dizzy moments.

I seriously get the impression my gp thinks I'm a timewaster which is another thing I fear about going back in to see him.

How will they know what is wrong with me?

nomorepanic
08-10-07, 19:38
Hi Bob

Just wanted to give you a warm :welcome: aboard and lovely to see you here.

Thanks for the informative intro post.

It took the docs years before they told me I had panic disorder and GAD - I kept asking if I had and they said it was just stress!

Sometimes we know better than them I am afraid to say.

Have a good read of the website pages for loads of great advice as well.

GemmaAnn
08-10-07, 19:55
hey Bob :)
sorry your having such a tough time! I completly recognise what your saying when you feel like the doctor looks at you like a time waster because you go so often and they can never find anything wrong with you. Its scary because you think your only way to freedom from thinking all these things is to get the doctor to tell you your ok ... but in the end it doesnt help at all!

anyways my point is, I eventually went to the doctors (after finding this site) and told her what, in my opinion, I thought I had. she talked to me for a while about my symptoms and carried out a questionaire test on me and told me she agreed that i had severe anxiety. Immediatly I was able to see a councellor and she gave me some meds to calm me down in high stress situations ... from there on its a road to recovery :)

so definatly visit your doc and tell them your opinion ... and good luck with it :)
xxx

Lindalou64
09-10-07, 01:20
Hello Bob And Welcome To The Site.....linda

manmoor
09-10-07, 08:18
Hi Bob,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

ladygrom
09-10-07, 14:47
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_7_3.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZCxdm860YYGB) hi bobo i to have had a few opf you sytoms doc said its anxiety i felt as tho i was constantly on a boat .i felt as tho i wasnt on this earth just looking at a reflection i was told it was unreality and depesonlization it was awful.i no wer you coming from you arnt alone but 5 months down the line im getting better this site as been realy helpful aswell .im getting back to normal now you will to in time .tc elaine

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZCxdm860YYGB (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb098_ZCxdm860YYGB&utm_id=7926)

Meewah
11-11-07, 08:58
Hi Bobo
Sounds completely like me. The holidays do bring great relief from anxiety. The biggest thing is conquering the fear of fear cycle.

The doctors, Well I have given up on them, they just look at me daft, they tell me to calm down. I say I would not be here if I could. I say is it anxiety. They shrug there sholders and proceed to rule out another symptom. So I have had no official diagnosis for anxiety, it is just self diagnosed.

Forget about your interests for the time being. The anxiety is your new hobby for the time being. Once you learn to relax, try everything,,,yoga meditation, visits to the hills, listneing to relaxation tapes. Try Beta blockers, they help you get a hold on the symptoms, do not take them for long as you will use them as a crutch and will be lost without them. Some will work better than others. Slowly you will find your interests return.

My friends laugh saying they want the old person back they do not like this dafodil eater. I just know that something like anxiety needs everything throwing at it and I have adopted the holistic approach quite a contrast from my male chauvanist rugby playing prior self.

Hope this helps.

Me

Nibbles
13-11-07, 17:20
Hi Bob and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

Pink Princess
15-11-07, 08:34
hi bob

http://www.stormymoongraphics.com/caimages/Toodles%20Welcome%20Graphic.gif

take kare xx