PDA

View Full Version : Swallowed sharp potato chip

kmois
08-03-20, 00:06
Earlier today I swallowed a sharp potato chip causing pain in my throat and in the middle of my chest I went to the doctor and they gave me medication but will the chip cut up my esophagus or In any on the way down

nomorepanic
08-03-20, 00:09
What medication did they give you for that?

Did you not ask them this question? The answer is no anyway.

kmois
08-03-20, 00:23
Yeah they gave me medication and I forgot to ask them that. I just feel a limp feeling in my chest with a weird feeling around my back area

kmois
08-03-20, 00:24
I read something online about my insides being cut up causing blood the medication was for inflammation to stop infection

Midnight-mouse
08-03-20, 08:22
Gosh, if I went to the doctors every time I ate something that scratched me up I’d never leave. (I have a very large fondness for crunchy foods) I’ve never done more than take a drink afterwards.

Just because something is uncomfortable doesn’t mean it’s dangerous, the chip will be digested and no longer sharp. Although I have known some home cooked ones to make themselves known even on the way out occasionally. It’s really not going to do you any damage though. The danger is things that can’t be digested, like razor blades, not potato.

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
08-03-20, 12:53
I read something online about my insides being cut up causing blood the medication was for inflammation to stop infection

I cannot believe that a) you searched hard enough to find that and b) the Doctor enabled this completely irrational fear.

kmois
10-03-20, 18:18
I just keep reading things online about it ripping esophagus on the way down or rupturing it or just causing bleeding

Midnight-mouse
10-03-20, 18:23
I just keep reading things online about it ripping esophagus on the way down or rupturing it or just causing bleeding

Why are you still reading things about it? You swallowed the chip two days ago now, given normal transit times you’ve already passed the offender. You would know about it if you had done any damage, like I said previously just because it was uncomfortable or even painful it doesn’t mean it’s dangerous.

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carys
10-03-20, 18:40
Woooaaah, hold on, it was two days ago you swallowed the sharp crisp......and you seem fine from what I can tell, as you are posting on this site and clearly not vomiting blood etc. I would think that time alone should have made you realise you are ok!

nomorepanic
10-03-20, 18:41
You would be ill by now - you are fine - move on from this.

kmois
10-03-20, 18:43
So a sharp chip would not cause a cut deep in my esophagus that would cause bleeding

nomorepanic
10-03-20, 18:46
We keep saying no

BlueIris
10-03-20, 19:01
It's a piece of potato, not a razor blade.

Really, you're being very silly.

Carys
10-03-20, 19:54
Your oesophagus is incredibly strong, you swallow hard and rough things down it the whole time. It is a sturdy muscular tube, with a mucous skin lining, and maybe you've scratched the skin but you can not cut through it with food, you can't. Its not some floppy jelly-like structure that anything slightly sharp would penetrate - we'd have evolved pretty badly if that was the case and people would be dropping dead from eating anything other than mashed potato. It could make an area a bit sore and painful and as if something is stuck in your throat, leaving a type of internal 'weald' and scratch, but thats all you've done. This is proved by the fact that you are alive and well right now :0)

kmois
16-03-20, 19:10
I know you guys probably have seen my last thread pertaining to this but if you didn’t last week a sharp piece of a chip scraped my throat really hard it got better but now it feels bad.
I feel phlegm in the right side of my throat never on left , it is mainly came from post nasal drip and now I can not even take a full breath without feeling the right side of my throat being cut off of air which scares me as I feel like I’m choking for a second. I can not cough out the phlegm no matter how much I try I’m starting to think this is catarrh or something
I am still able to eat only if the food is cut into tiny pieces and can drink fine most of the time so I don’t know what to do I have a checkup tomorrow so I feel fine about the situation but this feeling is horrible
I already had a neck x ray so I know it’s not that bad but I feel that the doctors won’t really help

nomorepanic
16-03-20, 19:14
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

BlueIris
16-03-20, 19:29
Kmois, you need to talk to your doctor about your anxiety, as this is the real problem here.

kmois
16-03-20, 19:50
I really don’t think it’s the anxiety this time the phlegm/post nasal won’t come out and when I try a deep breath I get choking/short breathing

Scass
16-03-20, 20:13
Probably the more coughing you are doing the more you are hurting it. So stop trying to force it. Drink warm soothing drinks - preferably something with honey if you have it.