PDA

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia? What is it really like please?

DL45
08-03-20, 09:24
Morning

Around 3 years or so ago, my GP said he thought all the little aches and pains I had complained about were down to fibromyalgia, this was after CT torso to pelvis with contrast. I was having a real concern about Pancreatic cancer at the time . He said the CT came back with no causes for concern. He prescribed me - I can't remember exactly what, I'm sorry, but if I recall correctly a medicine that can be used for anxiety, mental health issues, but which also reduces pain. I did start them but I couldn't bear the spaced out feeling that I developed with them so I stopped.

At the time I had talked to him about increasing discomfort and stiffness in the back of my left ribs, sometimes right ribs, from just standing, for example chopping veg, amongst other things internally to that region. Trying to brush or hoover for example bring the same discomfort to the torso. And eventually that is what he suggested. I did at the time thing it was a fob off and didn't really look into it any further, didn't go back to him because I didn't consider it to be what I considered fibromyalgia to be really like. I had partially slipped a disc in my lower back 16yrs earlier, so have always considered a little bit of lower back stiffness relating to that, and again find that this interferes with housework, walking too far....although I also have a painful hip which impacts that after a while, despite me spending most of my working life on my feet previously.

Anyhow, rewind to now. I do a 4hr shift in a pub once a week, and I am kept going 90% of the time. I have always, by the end of the shift, felt as if my entire torso, top to bottom, the ribs all around and down the sides, and my internal organs, are on fire, stiff and painful. Taking paracetamol before hand doesn't help. I literally crawl up the stairs into bed and can take a couple of hours before it has worn off enough for me to be able to move around, turn over. In the morning I feel like I have had a punching, bit stiff and bruised but nothing compared to how it feels the night before.

Is this possibly suggestive of fibromyalgia? Was he right? I never experienced this in anything else that I do, other than getting that stiffness / tightness stood still chopping, or ironing etc. I do tend to put all aches to legs, knees etc down to being overweight.

Thank you for reading, and any insight you can give me.

DL45
08-03-20, 14:26
Just a little addition, have been wandering around - shopping, cemetery etc - and my lower back and bad hip feel really stiff.

Also, I meant to post in the above - on Wednesday I developed a painful area to my right forearm. Feels like a huge bruise, but absolutely no injury, no twisting or digging or anything of the type, just a painful forearm like a huge bruise without any colour. The pain has diminished a little bit, but is still there. Is this another thing that could be attributed to fibromyalgia.....or to HA?

thank you

dorabella
09-03-20, 00:03
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over 20 years ago and have had the entire gamut of weird and wonderful symptoms that this condition can throw at one. The stiffness that you mention , particularly in the upper torso and around the ribcage - is very common, as is overall feeling of stiffness in many of the joints in legs, arms, shoulders. Sometimes related to continuous or repetitive activity, or as in my case to prolonged inactivity such as sitting through hours of meetings in one position. Its important to vary activity where your joints are concerned to stop the sensation of 'seizing up', although you may find that at times that the stiffness comes completely unprovoked by any physical activity. If you ever find that when you wake up in the morning you feel as if you have been run over by a train and it takes you a while to loosen up and get moving, then that is a typical sign of fibromyalgia. The antidepressant medication that your doctor referred you to was probably one of the SSRI group which some sufferers have reported alleviates the pain and unease. Other than that there is little that you can take to allay the worst of the discomfort. Its a condition that you have to learn to live with, and find ways of dealing with the flares as they come and go.

The feeling of bruised joints is also a common symptom, suggesting injury where there is none. The pain is often located around joints and large muscle groups and is the result of false pain signals being transmitted to the soft tissue or fascia around the joints - all rather technical and medical-speak - but check out the research that has been published over the years, particularly on pain and nociception. If you are interested in a good read on the subject, then you should get hold of a copy of the fibromyalgia 'bible': Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myocascial Pain. A Survival Manual (2001) by Devon Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland. This will tell you all you need to know and explains the condition in all its forms and effects. One of the best books published to date.

Check out abebooks.co.uk - loads of copies listed for sale at v reasonable second-hand prices.

Hope this helps.

DL45
10-03-20, 10:27
Hi Dorabella, thank you for your response and for the great detail.

I had an appointment with my GP for Thursday but they are now doing all appointments by telephone, and calling those people in who need seeing, but I will mention to it, I just don't like the headaches, it wasn't a pain but a spaced out feeling as if my brain was slushing around inside and I was looking out of a thick walled window.....but will have a chat to him.

thanks again