PDA

View Full Version : Can you get an Amoeba from breathing dirt while gardening?

golddustgirl1000
08-03-20, 17:08
Hello Everyone,

I know very well about the BEA in water and to safeguard when swimming in freshwater/ doing the Neti pot- but I have one more concern that I can’t seem to find the answer to anywhere...except
A small part of the cdc website that said it’s in soil too.

I garden a ton, and just a few days ago picked a strawberry and went to smell it to see if it was sweet. The soil it was sitting on was somewhat damp as I watered earlier that day. Instantly once I inhaled I smelled soil- that evening and the whole next day I felt a constant tickle in my nose... for about 15 hours then all of a sudden it just went away... aside from my normal post nasal drip I feel fine...

My question is- can bea be contracted this way? Through stirring up dust/ accidentally breathing it in.. etc? I try to wear a mask but seems like stuff still gets through...plus they are very uncomfortable for hours on end.

I know millions of people garden- wouldn’t you hear of more cases?

ToasterOvens
08-03-20, 17:22
I'm going to counter with a question.

If this was a way to get a BEA, wouldn't construction workers be in the news on a regular basis with BEAs?

When it happens via water, it gets widely reported. I've never heard of it happening in any other way.

golddustgirl1000
09-03-20, 06:13
Yes I have thought of this too...now my nose has just been running all day... I hope allergies...

Carys
09-03-20, 07:30
My nose has been running for three days, sinus pains, blocked and coughing from allergies, and I have been gardening everyday for a few days ! Dust and pollen - why look any further to something so bizarrely off the wall ?!

Iwant2bhealthy
09-03-20, 09:17
Hello Everyone,

I know very well about the BEA in water and to safeguard when swimming in freshwater/ doing the Neti pot- but I have one more concern that I can’t seem to find the answer to anywhere...except
A small part of the cdc website that said it’s in soil too.

I garden a ton, and just a few days ago picked a strawberry and went to smell it to see if it was sweet. The soil it was sitting on was somewhat damp as I watered earlier that day. Instantly once I inhaled I smelled soil- that evening and the whole next day I felt a constant tickle in my nose... for about 15 hours then all of a sudden it just went away... aside from my normal post nasal drip I feel fine...

My question is- can bea be contracted this way? Through stirring up dust/ accidentally breathing it in.. etc? I try to wear a mask but seems like stuff still gets through...plus they are very uncomfortable for hours on end.

I know millions of people garden- wouldn’t you hear of more cases?Short answer: no. Long answer: unless you eat a ton of of soil, also no.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
09-03-20, 12:08
Short answer: no. Long answer: unless you eat a ton of of soil, also no.

There actually is no 'long answer'. All that would happen is you'd probably get sick from eating dirt! This is not a possibility.

Positive thoughts

Iwant2bhealthy
09-03-20, 13:38
There actually is no 'long answer'. All that would happen is you'd probably get sick from eating dirt! This is not a possibility.

Positive thoughtsIndeed. You would get sick from the dirt before you'd catch anything. :-)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

golddustgirl1000
09-03-20, 17:22
My nose has been running for three days, sinus pains, blocked and coughing from allergies, and I have been gardening everyday for a few days ! Dust and pollen - why look any further to something so bizarrely off the wall ?!

Thanks... yeah my ear is all clogged and I’m feeling dizzy- thats what always happens with my sinuses :/ idk it’s just something I’ve always wondered... and I’ve heard of few stories of legionarres happening from people breathing in misters at Disneyland . I know when your pregnant you should be careful cleaning out litter box/ gardening cause of diseases... so I guess I just thought that you could inhale stuff.

MyNameIsTerry
09-03-20, 17:59
My dad was a landscape gardener most of his life and I've never heard of this issue. I had never heard of the amoeba either until I joined here.

He has talking to me through the years about his health & safety requirements and the certs he had to keep up to date and never mentioned the amoeba so without looking this up specifically I suspect it's either not possible or so rare to not be concerned.