PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had a false premonition?

kraby1
09-03-20, 19:54
Hello. This is my first post. Not sure how well I did, but regardless..... I need your help. Long story short I had a premonition of my own death. My vision told me it would happen in 2024. This terrifies me. Can someone please share similar stories of nothing bad happening? And be honest. No lies just to make me feel better.

Please and thank you.

ankietyjoe
09-03-20, 21:35
Premonitions are BS.

I'm not lying.

kraby1
10-03-20, 15:41
Thank you for the bold statement. But does anyone have any stories similar to mine? Please. I'm so scared!

Iwant2bhealthy
10-03-20, 20:22
I, and other people with anxiety/OCD tendencies have hundreds of examples like that.

You dont have superpowers, you just have anxiety and/or OCD tendencies.

BlueIris
10-03-20, 20:31
Seriously, Kraby, what's your scientific grounding for thinking premonitions have any basis in reality?

kraby1
10-03-20, 20:32
Thank you very much for your story. It helps to know that I'm not alone. I hope that many others can share theirs too.

Iwant2bhealthy
10-03-20, 21:52
May I ask why you get stuck on other people's stories and their nunbers?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

kraby1
10-03-20, 22:10
I don't think I understand the question entirely, but to put it simply, I'm asking if other people with ocd and anxiety have been through the same thing. I honestly don't believe in premonitions, but when I'm anxious it is very easy for my mind to go that direction. I want to prove my anxious mind that this is false without actually waiting 4 years to find out.

BlueIris
11-03-20, 05:09
But by doing so and thinking on it more, you're simply validating your anxiety.

jray23
11-03-20, 05:31
What if you actually die before 2024? Have you considered that possibility? When you do consider it, does the premonition feel like it has as much power now?

Not trying to be morbid for kicks, just pointing out the holes in your catastrophic mindset by going to the further extreme. And now that you see holes in that thought process, hopefully you see it's all BS like Joe said.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
11-03-20, 08:21
I honestly don't believe in premonitions.

So why are you asking silly questions then?

BlueIris is 100% correct in suggesting that pursuing the irrational checking is just validating the anxiety.

If you don't believe in premonitions, there's no need to check.

And if you die before 2024 you won't need to worry about it any more anyway. Coincidence will have kicked in.

kraby1
11-03-20, 12:20
I honestly don't know how to respond. On one hand I believe that you are right, by checking it does make it more powerful, but on the other hand if there are people who had a similar story and lived past their premonition, I'd like to use it as a way of proving to my anxious brain that it won't happen the next time it pops into my head. Does that make any sense? The other people's stories would be a tool so that I can convey my anxious brain to stop checking.

MyNameIsTerry
11-03-20, 12:32
Anxiety is very isolating and also confusing so it's ok to understand something is within it's spectrum by reading about it or consulting others. However, when you find yourself wanting more & more people to back this up what you are actually doing is reasurance-seeking which is a negative behaviour.

Challenging thoughts is fine though which they would do in CBT with a specific exercise for things which come under Magical Thinking. For instance, you may be asked to think something to try to make it come true and then observe how it doesn't. This type of experiment shows you that you cannot influence the physical world by way of your thoughts because it also requires actions to change things.

So, forget this thought and tell us about all the other thoughts that never come true. Your mind wil have discounted these, proof you cannot influence the real world, in favour of a thought that is evoking fear.

kraby1
11-03-20, 12:50
Challenging thoughts is fine though which they would do in CBT with a specific exercise for things which come under Magical Thinking. For instance, you may be asked to think something to try to make it come true and then observe how it doesn't. This type of experiment shows you that you cannot influence the physical world by way of your thoughts because it also requires actions to change things. [/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact I was planning on doing exactly that. I'm challenging my magical thinking by proving it wrong. I believe that I have had premonitions in the past that didn't come true, I just cannot remember them. That's why I'm asking for help.

kraby1
21-03-20, 17:19
I want to make an update so I can reassure people that premonitions are not real. Ever since I made this post I've had a number of deja vu experiences and with each one I've had a "premonition" of something to happen. Sometimes they DID happen, sometimes they DIDN'T happen. This is great news because it really gives me a good insight on how our future is not set and stone. Premonitions are not real. Nobody can predict the future. I did countless research on the topic of fortune telling and premonition. All of them point out that if someone "predicts" the future, it CAN happen. But most of the time it's either completely wrong or just a really lucky/probable guess. If you have any questions, send me an email. I'll probably still be alive in 2024. But for now, let's just enjoy today.

Confetti
27-03-20, 16:31
I have assumed I’m going to die in various mundane and outstanding ways yes, I don’t suppose I’m dead yet, I am going to die probably in a mundane way but there’s a possibility it’ll be spectacular. I don’t care either way as long as it’s not for a while. It’s not unusual to believe you’re a dead man or woman walking when you wake up, especially with ramped up anxiety levels.