PDA

View Full Version : Misinformation and fake news

Lencoboy
10-03-20, 16:46
Since around the autumn of 2016, the term 'fake news' has been bandied around en masse. Obviously it is far from being a newish phenomenon, as I am sure there was already plenty of it doing the rounds back in 2008-09 during both the Credit Crunch (global financial crisis) and the Swine Flu pandemic, which I am pretty sure exacerbated the former, and I vividly remember the likes of the Fail, Depress, Scum, etc constantly spewing out OTT sensationalist headlines about it. In fact, even The Mirror, Guardian, Independent, etc were also at it on several occasions. Does anyone else on this forum recall any significant instances of 'misinformation'/'fake news' prior to the 2010s (when the term 'fake news' entered common parlance)?

WiredIncorrectly
10-03-20, 17:09
Since around the autumn of 2016, the term 'fake news' has been bandied around en masse. Obviously it is far from being a newish phenomenon, as I am sure there was already plenty of it doing the rounds back in 2008-09 during both the Credit Crunch (global financial crisis) and the Swine Flu pandemic, which I am pretty sure exacerbated the former, and I vividly remember the likes of the Fail, Depress, Scum, etc constantly spewing out OTT sensationalist headlines about it. In fact, even The Mirror, Guardian, Independent, etc were also at it on several occasions. Does anyone else on this forum recall any significant instances of 'misinformation'/'fake news' prior to the 2010s (when the term 'fake news' entered common parlance)?

The media is bias towards it's agenda and political alliances. Daily Mail were Nazi supporters during the war. But, in this instance it's not fake news, or bias news. It's clickbait.

I worked in this area of "internet marketing" for a while. I had websites that churned out clickbait. It wasn't fake news, or satire, it was just pure click bait. Usually to a video, or funny image/s.

The big media can't do this type of clickbait. They used to, but it was outlawed. They still produce it though, just in different forms. The Express is inspirational if you want to study clickbait. It's another evolution of sensationalism.

Why do they want people to click their clickbait you may ask.

For money. Their page is loaded with ads. They get paid for that. I can go into more detail if you wish. I worked this area.

MyNameIsTerry
10-03-20, 17:18
Fake news is just another latest buzzword. I would say it has been going on way back beyond medieval times.

WiredIncorrectly
10-03-20, 17:51
Fake news is just another latest buzzword. I would say it has been going on way back beyond medieval times.

I agree.

Pamplemousse
10-03-20, 18:02
It's worth remembering that the term "fake news" was coined by a certain Donald J. Trump in an attempt to discredit any news source he didn't agree with - even if it was factually correct. Which in my opinion is as good a reason as any not to use the term. However, "fake news" is the short and snappy kind of cobblers that journalists love, rather like the lazy appending of "-gate" onto anything remotely scandalous.

Rather more accurately, we have misinformation and indeed, malicious intent. The false "Andover Hospital" Twitter account being a case in point.

Lencoboy
10-03-20, 19:36
[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1933638]Fake news is just another latest buzzword. I would say it has been going on way back beyond medieval times.

Likewise, the words Coronavirus and Brexit.

WiredIncorrectly
10-03-20, 19:40

Mad Cow Disease and 9/11

Lencoboy
10-03-20, 19:40
The media is bias towards it's agenda and political alliances. Daily Mail were Nazi supporters during the war. But, in this instance it's not fake news, or bias news. It's clickbait.

I worked in this area of "internet marketing" for a while. I had websites that churned out clickbait. It wasn't fake news, or satire, it was just pure click bait. Usually to a video, or funny image/s.

The big media can't do this type of clickbait. They used to, but it was outlawed. They still produce it though, just in different forms. The Express is inspirational if you want to study clickbait. It's another evolution of sensationalism.

Why do they want people to click their clickbait you may ask.

For money. Their page is loaded with ads. They get paid for that. I can go into more detail if you wish. I worked this area.

That rag sucks big time, sometimes even worse than the DM!!

That's why I nickname it 'The Daily Depress'!!

WiredIncorrectly
10-03-20, 19:41
That rag sucks big time, sometimes even worse than the DM!!

That's why I nickname it 'The Daily Depress'!!

They all suck. All pushing one agenda or another. Where can you actually get trusted information in today's golden information age?

Pamplemousse
10-03-20, 21:14
[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1933638]Fake news is just another latest buzzword. I would say it has been going on way back beyond medieval times.

'Coronavirus' isn't a buzzword - it's a description of the form of the virus itself, 'corona' being a word for 'crown' which describes the spiky bits on the virus structure.

'Brexit' is another journalist's portmanteau word designed to stick in people's heads, which it did very well indeed.

lebonvin
11-03-20, 00:48
[QUOTE=Lencoboy;1933667]

'Coronavirus' isn't a buzzword - it's a description of the form of the virus itself, 'corona' being a word for 'crown' which describes the spiky bits on the virus structure.

'Brexit' is another journalist's portmanteau word designed to stick in people's heads, which it did very well indeed.

I think Tezza is trying to be funny Madame Grapefruit lol

I heard yous Brits had some paper what was all fake news. But I guess folk knew it was all fake.

MyNameIsTerry
11-03-20, 04:27
[QUOTE=Lencoboy;1933667]

Yeah, we all need some brain bleach to get it out of our heads!

MyNameIsTerry
11-03-20, 04:29
[QUOTE=Pamplemousse;1933713]

I think Tezza is trying to be funny Madame Grapefruit lol

I heard yous Brits had some paper what was all fake news. But I guess folk knew it was all fake.

Would that be The Sunday Sport? Always good for a laugh.

MyNameIsTerry
11-03-20, 04:32
They all suck. All pushing one agenda or another. Where can you actually get trusted information in today's golden information age?

Exactly, there isn't one. We relied on the BBC to be as unbiased as possible but they were always the establishment outlet with their old boy links.

I read any paper and get a range of views to make my mind up. They all have their 'Sir Royston' to answer to. :winks:

ErinKC
11-03-20, 04:42
The news has always been fake to an extent because everyone has an agenda. But, it got worse with the 24 hour news cycle proliferated by cable news and worse still with social media. Dan Rather had to resign back in 2004 after defending those fake military documents about Bush, remember?

jray23
11-03-20, 05:39
Misinformation has been around for centuries. It's why libel is outlined in the Bill of Rights in the USA.

Here's an interesting article that discusses comparisons from colonial America (sorry Brit friends) to today's world.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/age-old-problem-fake-news-180968945/

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Lencoboy
14-03-20, 20:20
I have had my suspicions about 'fake news' for at least 15 years now.

I often used to wonder prior to about 2016 (when FN was finally acknowledged), 'why do the press get away with it?' and 'why haven't the authorities ever attempted to sanction the offending publications/websites', etc for indulging in such practices, but many people I know (or knew back then) just seemed to play the 'freedom of expression' and 'human rights' cards.

debs71
15-03-20, 18:34
Personally, I don't understand the whole relatively new concept of 'Fake News'. As far as I am concerned, news has always been fake to an extent and nothing can wholeheartedly be believed in the papers or on TV/the internet as being the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so why the big deal about it?

I don't believe anything. I read it and think what I think about it, I suspect like most people. The media LOVE drama. they are bound to big things up that don't necessitate it just to sell it to the public. At the moment, that appears to be nothing positive at all. Yes, things are bad right now, but to be constantly having that shoved down out throats is not helping the panic that is going on. Some balance is desperately required.

MyNameIsTerry
15-03-20, 20:28
Whoa, debs is back!!! How are you?

Yes, I agree with you. So much is speculation and I've always regarded that as part of fake news.

debs71
15-03-20, 20:44
I'm ok, thanks Terry.

I've been off NMP for a while as my anxiety has been a bit iffy and I find I'm not much use to anyone when I'm like that! I hope you are well and doing ok :)

Panicattacka
16-03-20, 01:12
Lol, so-called "fake news" has been around since Ug told the others round the camp fire that they needed to go and attack that other bunch of cave dwellers in the next valley because he'd heard they were planning to attack them. Do people think this all started with Trump in 2016? I suspect we've been doing it since we developed the power of speech.

Lencoboy
15-01-23, 13:00
I'm now kind of wondering if all the recent speculation about Putin being ill with cancer and his days supposedly being numbered is a hoax, as he still seems to be bluffing like mad that there's plenty more to come in the Ukraine crisis, according to various random news articles that pop up on the newsfeed on the Microsoft Edge homepage on my dad's laptop.

Conversely, another article that popped up on there a few days ago said that Russia is at war with the UK, which I think is total BS as so far there's been no reports nor any evidence of any bombs going off nor anything else mega untoward happening in this country. Clearly it's some 'know-it-all' on a wind-up somewhere and in pursuit of their fifteen minutes of fame who is also desperate to say 'I told you so'! Plus the BBC, Sky, etc would no doubt be discussing it non-stop day in day out if it was genuinely true, which there's still no signs of as yet.

I think it's about time fake news-mongers of this nature (especially in the case of the second paragraph above) and serial extremist conspiracy theorists are severely clamped down on hard by the authorities, but then again those spewing out such blatant BS will no doubt be screaming 'censorship', denial of free speech, and 'playing the victim'.

BlueIris
15-01-23, 14:49
The authorities are probably the ones spreading a lot of the fake news.

WiredIncorrectly
15-01-23, 15:15
Main stream media here in the UK is the source of fake news and propaganda. I'm confident all countries employ the use of propaganda through the media. That's why I don't watch it.

Lencoboy
15-01-23, 15:41
Main stream media here in the UK is the source of fake news and propaganda. I'm confident all countries employ the use of propaganda through the media. That's why I don't watch it.

Especially those that constantly pander to the serial conspiracy theorists, in particular if they might sense a 'nice little earner' coming their way!

Plus they've been getting away with misusing their freedom of expression for far too many years now. Often 'the boy who cried wolf', and all that.

One of these days (heaven forbid) if there's a genuine emergency situation, some will still likely be writing it off as 'propaganda', 'scaremongering', 'fake news', etc. They already did it to a certain extent during the onset of the Covid pandemic in early 2020.

pulisa
15-01-23, 18:01

Yes but you google other toxic stuff?

Lencoboy
15-01-23, 19:10

I presume you're referring to WIC Pulisa.

If there is an issue I'm concerned about, I only try to use reputable, well-trusted sources to seek reassurance.

I'm just totally annoyed with the way that certain sites (e.g, Microsoft Edge) seem to have a digestive newsfeed as default on their homepage that beam random articles from random sources straight into our faces. While my dad doesn't appear to have any issue with it on his laptop, I feel that he has himself been misled by certain stories, especially the ones about Putin rumoured to be dying of cancer, which the BBC and Sky have both seemingly kept schtum about so far (if at all true), which is why I've so far viewed said speculation as dubious, as all the photographic images I've seen of Putin over recent days where he's been spewing out his endless propaganda, he looks as right as ninepence and nowhere near his death bed. Nor are there currently any signs of any actual war in the UK as yet, despite one article claiming a few days ago that Russia were at war with us (could have been the Daily Express, who I think were conversely the ones telling us a week or two earlier that Putin was cancer-ridden on his death bed).

Over the past decade or so that poxy rag (Daily Express) has been putting the fear of God into us about an imminent World War Three, whether due to ISIS with their terror campaign and the situation in Syria, or North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Putin, Trump, you name it/them, and so far (thank God) none have come to pass. A typical 'cry wolf', or to be more precise, 'cry war' situation! I just wish they would give it a rest until any such threat (heaven forbid) is surely proven.

pulisa
15-01-23, 19:40
Why get annoyed with the tabloid press, Lenco? Is it worth it? Best not to engage with it in any way if you are looking for serious news content?

WiredIncorrectly
15-01-23, 20:59

When it concerns my health of course, you'd be daft not to do some research.

There's a for, and against, with everything. You weight up the information, weight up the sources, and make an informed decision. We all make different decisions and choices for various reasons, and usually based on the information we have at hand. There really is no right and wrong, unless of course your decisions harm others, or commit haram.

pulisa
15-01-23, 21:12
You have to be very careful "researching" if you have HA.

BlueIris
15-01-23, 21:22
Agreed, Pulisa.

Life's too short to waste it reading things that scare or annoy us.

WiredIncorrectly
15-01-23, 21:24

Researching a health anxiety issue is completely different to reading a journal paper on the observed effects of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Like I said in the other post, I know how to research from when I was at university. Many people don't. Attempting to make me look the fool because I disagree with some of your views is very unfair.

Can we please quit it now?

Fishmanpa
15-01-23, 21:35

Agree 110%

FMP

WiredIncorrectly
16-01-23, 00:54
In an attempt to not waste no more time, and inspired by the discussion with Pulisa I have a solution

Lencoboy
16-01-23, 14:09
In an attempt to not waste no more time, and inspired by the discussion with Pulisa I have a solution

Wishing you the best of luck, James.

But the point still remains that the media in general have certainly had (and still do have) a lot to answer for over the past 10-20 years in terms of sometimes instilling unnecessary fear and paranoia into us, sometimes to the point where certain individuals have become too scared to leave their homes.

Let's face it, some of the big 'panics' over the past 20 years or so (justified or not) have been;

Islamic State terrorism, firstly with al-Queda post-9/11 then ISIS from around 2013-14 onwards).

'Ch@v' culture, ASB and out-of-control-kids.

Binge drinking.

Paedogeddon.

Gun/knife crime.

The late 2000s Global Financial Crisis.

Far-right extremism (EDL, Britain First, etc).

Brexit.

Episodes of extreme weather conditions (floods, heatwaves, gale-force winds, Beasts from the East, etc).

Trump, Putin, North Korea, etc.

Diseases/Viruses (Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Norovirus, Ebola, Covid-19, M-Pox, Strep A, etc).

Don't get me wrong; almost all of the above were (and still are) legitimate fears and concerns, but IMO are sometimes starting to feel a bit Orwellian when they're constantly beamed into our faces and we inadvertently become far too hypervigilant in terms of habitually anticipating untoward happenings, sometimes unnecessarily, which then often devalues the 'genuine' risks/threats should they arise.

WiredIncorrectly
16-01-23, 18:08
Wishing you the best of luck, James.

But the point still remains that the media in general have certainly had (and still do have) a lot to answer for over the past 10-20 years in terms of sometimes instilling unnecessary fear and paranoia into us, sometimes to the point where certain individuals have become too scared to leave their homes.

Let's face it, some of the big 'panics' over the past 20 years or so (justified or not) have been;

Islamic State terrorism, firstly with al-Queda post-9/11 then ISIS from around 2013-14 onwards).

'Ch@v' culture, ASB and out-of-control-kids.

Binge drinking.

Paedogeddon.

Gun/knife crime.

The late 2000s Global Financial Crisis.

Far-right extremism (EDL, Britain First, etc).

Brexit.

Episodes of extreme weather conditions (floods, heatwaves, gale-force winds, Beasts from the East, etc).

Trump, Putin, North Korea, etc.

Diseases/Viruses (Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Norovirus, Ebola, Covid-19, M-Pox, Strep A, etc).

Don't get me wrong; almost all of the above were (and still are) legitimate fears and concerns, but IMO are sometimes starting to feel a bit Orwellian when they're constantly beamed into our faces and we inadvertently become far too hypervigilant in terms of habitually anticipating untoward happenings, sometimes unnecessarily, which then often devalues the 'genuine' risks/threats should they arise.

I'm in a agreement with you Lenco. In a way it's kind of like picking your battles. The media can be a battle sometimes, especially with the scaremongering during COVID. The points you make are very valid.

Lencoboy
18-01-23, 09:39
I'm in a agreement with you Lenco. In a way it's kind of like picking your battles. The media can be a battle sometimes, especially with the scaremongering during COVID. The points you make are very valid.

The other thing is, even though a lot of them never actually go away completely, the media have a bit of a tendency to keep regurgitating some of those issues I covered above every now and then, which I believe can sometimes lead to so-called 'self-fulfilling prophecies', often accompanied by 'moral panics' and the like repeating themselves, then dying down once the media have moved onto the next big 'panic' issue, which may be either a 'fresh' or 'recurrent' issue.

For instance, whenever 'feral youth' is the topic of the moment, the increased publicity of said issue can often encourage certain youngsters to 'act out' all the more, especially those in pursuit of their so-called 'fifteen minutes of fame'. Ditto for would-be 'terrorists' and the like.

Also remember all the hysteria over toilet rolls at the start of the pandemic, which eventually died down once the media frenzy had run its course and people eventually came to their senses and realised that actual shortages of such items were a load of old pony in the first place.

WiredIncorrectly
18-01-23, 13:56
On Saturday Putin said he'd taken the salt mine town of Soledar.

Zelensky said Putin was lying. The media lapped it up and printed it: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/jan/13/russia-ukraine-war-live-small-pockets-of-resistance-from-ukraine-in-soledar-says-moscow-installed-official?page=with:block-63c0f9b48f085fda3e65dcf5

Today British Intelligence confirmed that Ukrainian soldiers have fled: https://consent.yahoo.com/v2/collectConsent?sessionId=3_cc-session_1014a82c-86fd-4e2a-81dc-b335903e991a

Misinformation at its finest.

The media has a problem they're all fighting for clicks for ad revenue to pay their bills. Clickbait was far more obvious, but what they're doing now is downright dangerous at times.

MyNameIsTerry
18-01-23, 14:50

I like the "death is inevitable" quote top of the screen :biggrin:

MyNameIsTerry
18-01-23, 14:58
On Saturday Putin said he'd taken the salt mine town of Soledar.

Zelensky said Putin was lying. The media lapped it up and printed it: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/jan/13/russia-ukraine-war-live-small-pockets-of-resistance-from-ukraine-in-soledar-says-moscow-installed-official?page=with:block-63c0f9b48f085fda3e65dcf5

Today British Intelligence confirmed that Ukrainian soldiers have fled: https://consent.yahoo.com/v2/collectConsent?sessionId=3_cc-session_1014a82c-86fd-4e2a-81dc-b335903e991a

Misinformation at its finest.

The media has a problem they're all fighting for clicks for ad revenue to pay their bills. Clickbait was far more obvious, but what they're doing now is downright dangerous at times.

I think the rocket strike on Polish territory was a very dangerous one. Was it NATO who used it to attack Russia without even trying to determine who fired them? Then they simply blamed Russia anyway under the guise of "well it wouldn't have happened if you hadn't invaded in the first place" which has been used in the past for unjustifiable behaviour.

Ukraine used it for support although to their credit they did say straight away compensation should be paid if they had done it. They could have easily played it the lawyers way until they couldn't any longer.

WiredIncorrectly
18-01-23, 15:02
T, that's funny you said that because it's happened today too (blaming Russia indirectly) ...

NoraB
19-01-23, 11:04

Would make a good quote this..

Death is inevitable so do something productive. :yesyes:

I do like your handwriting, James. (Mine looks like a spider break-danced on the paper). :unsure:

pulisa
19-01-23, 11:48
Dr Google is really the ultimate in misinformation and fake news when used for "researching" one's own ailments.