PDA

View Full Version : ye old phrases

Dave777
09-10-07, 18:29
Hi playmates, anybody know any old phrases and their origins? :)

for starters,

"You ain't so green as you're cabbage-looking"

nanny
09-10-07, 18:39
"I didn't come off the last banana boat ya know"

don't know where that come from, but heard it loads of times:blush:

Believe
09-10-07, 18:48
Don't Cry Over Spelt Milk

Piglet
09-10-07, 18:56
What about 'cheap at half the price' well course it flippin is!!!

Piglet :flowers:

Dave777
09-10-07, 19:07
Hi Piglet, where have you been?
I initially misread this one ... ooops! :blush:

Clean your clock

Meaning:To deliver a thorough thrashing.Example:If you don't get out of my favorite chair I will have to
clean your clock.

groovygranny
09-10-07, 19:08
"There's none so queer as folk!"

..............Why????!!!!:shrug:

:madness:

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Dave777
09-10-07, 19:19
re.queer as folk
.... you are trying to tell me something my dear GG ?:shades: xx

groovygranny
09-10-07, 20:04
Well Dave matey,

you do seem to have a fixation for Pantomime Dames, Bridget Jones items and Gladioli .......:tongue::blush:xx

Anyway......

'yer be a typical Janner phraaase me 'anzome, awright then? aaand thee explunaashun too frum that Wicked Peedia plaace.....

Oggy Oggy Oggy!Oi Oi Oi!
Oggy Oggy Oggy!Oi Oi Oi!
Oggy!Oi! Oggy!Oi!
Oggy Oggy Oggy!Oi Oi Oi!

Oggy Oggy Oggy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oggy_Oggy_Oggy#searchInput)
Not to be confused with Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aussie_Aussie_Aussie%2C_Oi_Oi_Oi).
The Oggy Oggy Oggy chant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chant) (alternately spelt Oggie Oggie Oggie), and its numerous variations, are often heard at (primarily British (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom)) sporting events, political rallies and around Scout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouting) and Guide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Guides) campfires.
The usual form of the chant consists of two groups, one shouting the word "Oggy!" and the other group shouting the word "Oi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oi)!" Often a single individual will shout "Oggy" and everyone else will shout the reply. The words are shouted according to the following pattern.

OGGIE SONG

This is perhaps the most used of all the Naval dit’s is the ‘Oggie Chant’. Now firmly adopted by the Devonport Field Gun Crews along with its accompanying ‘Oggie Song’. However since at least the 1950’s these items have not remained the sole property of Devonport based ships but have become universally adopted by the whole of the RN. In fact it has become, what can only be described as the unofficial anthem of the Royal Navy.
It is regularly used on all sporting and social occasions. However it must be stressed in inter-area competition its use exclusively reverts to the Devonport area teams or ships. In silent recognition of its origins. Although many other civilian organisation are known to claim ownership or rights of usage their historical claim canot predate those of the RN..

Oggie Chant
This is the core chant or phrase. It is used individually, or as part of the chorus. From at least the the era of World War 2 it has been the rallying cry of all Devonport ratings. But as mentioned previously has now been adopted by the whole of the RN.

So there moy luvverlies...now you knaws all about it,......ooooh aaaarrr !!:emot-eek: C'mon sing along now.....

honeybee3939
09-10-07, 20:13
"A apple a day keeps the doctor away"

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mba/lowres/mban1570l.jpg

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

jitterbug
09-10-07, 21:19
"do you think i was born yesterday?" pfft well dont expect a sensible answer...

miss motown
09-10-07, 21:54
up the apples and pears. oh and do u think i came over on a banana boat, and do u think money grows on trees.do u want any more im on a roll now lol

Dave777
09-10-07, 23:05
Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey

Meaning:Very cold.Example:I am not going outside. It is cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey and mine are considerable more sensitive.Origin:In the 1700s cannon balls and black powder were carried by boys referred to as "powder monkeys".
One explanation has it that the balls were stacked in the familiar pyramid configuration with a wooden triangle holding the bottom layer together. These wooden triangles (perhaps as an extension of powder monkey) were also referred to as "monkeys". The trouble with wooden monkeys was that they couldn't take much abuse before shattering under the impact of dropped cannon balls.
The next material used to make monkeys was brass. These worked perfectly in warmer weather. The trouble with brass monkeys was that they tended to shrink a little when the weather turned cold enough. This shrinkage squeezed the bottom layer up, sending balls rolling all over the deck.
Thanks to Darryl Interesting tale, but not likely. The boys were definitely called powder monkeys, and the triangles may indeed have been called monkeys. But the idea that cold weather would cause enough shrinkage to squeeze out the cannon balls is fanciful. Brass is an alloy made of copper and nickel and is quite stable. Considering the size of even a small cannon ball is perhaps 2 to 3 inches in diameter, the amount of shrinkage of the monkey would have to be a couple of inches to push out the balls. Impossible.

pinkpenny1uk
09-10-07, 23:09
what about these?

keep your hair on!

pull your socks up!

knocked my duck off!

pen x

kazzie
09-10-07, 23:14
One of my old scottish mums was DO YOU THINK I CAME UP THE CLYDE ON A BIKE???
Quite funny as the clyde is a river

luv kaz x x

groovygranny
09-10-07, 23:30
"Don't get yer knickers in a twist!"

How does one get one's knickers in a twist? Here's how:

GG late for school hopping around bedroom on one leg, managing to get both legs in one leg-hole, whisk 'em off again and re-arrange. Only to find out later in the day that waist is through leg-hole and leg is through waist-hole...no wonder there was discomfort!:madness:Well, all them stringy bits look the same to me :mad::blush:!!

"Don't get caught with yer pants down!"

Erm, I'll leave that one for sombody else lol !!

:flowers:

groovygranny
10-10-07, 09:28
OMG! :ohmy:

Just had a vision of you Kaz.....riding yer bike up the Clyde in yer pink wellies lol !!:yahoo:

And Pen.....knocked my duck off?!!! Got to say I've never heard of that one - I'm intrigued :emot-nod: lol !!

Piglet
10-10-07, 10:09
OOOOhhhh GG - I do the knicker one all the time (when I wear them that is :winks: ).

Piglet :flowers:

Gabby
10-10-07, 12:02
I never understood 'well ill go to the foot of our stairs!'

Bizarre northern thing i think :)

Dave777
10-10-07, 12:41
Piglet are you into big knickers or dental floss?....when you wear them that is ! lol:winks:

Ma Larkin
10-10-07, 14:34
I've got a few, but I did cheat and get some help. We've been having a right old laugh at work!!

1) Mind your p's & q's
2) Break a leg (why does that mean good luck anyone???)
3) Better the devil you know than the devil you don't
4) Keep your shirt on
5) Don't let the cat out of the bag
6) Raining cats & dogs
7) Sent to Coventry
8) Take it with a pinch of salt
9) Throwing the baby out of the bath water
10) Under the weather
11) Dressed to the nines

and my favourite which my kids say all the time, is..............

12) Holy Moly!!

Gabby
10-10-07, 16:12
oo i know the one about the baby and tha bath water! spmething to do with when there was only one bath and everyone took turns to have a bath in the same water and baby came last so water could be so dirty by then that u lost it and so threw it out with the water! medieval i think.

Dave777
10-10-07, 17:17
oh Gabby, that brings back sad memories for me, I was that grubby baby thrown out with the bath water..... they called me Ronald, so unkind :weep: x

lesleya
17-10-07, 06:39
"Wipe that smile off your face"..........oh yeah

Granny Primark
17-10-07, 12:21
More than nits and lice in my head:D

Couldnt win a bodle (what the hells a bodle?)

Havent got a clue what to do no more than fly (one of me mums. But fly? no idea what she meant)

Just off to point percy to the porcelain (a man going for a wee)

Just going to shake hands with a film star (a man going for a wee. The film star being Walter Pigeon)

He/she hasnt got all the chairs at the table.

As thick as pig s..t (is pig poo thick?:huh: )

kill 2 birds with one stone or as my daughter says kill a bird with 2 stones

Its no using knocking cus the lights on but theres no one at home. (to describe someone whose a bit vacant.)

Take care
LYNNxx

Ma Larkin
17-10-07, 16:22
Three sheets to the wind!! What does that mean? I was a bit three sheets yesterday after a funeral!!

anxious
17-10-07, 19:01
dont trouble trouble until trouble troubles you

nows theres a good one :D

anx xx

Pickle
17-10-07, 19:56
I know the answer to "It's raining cats and dogs"

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and off the roof. Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs."

Mice!!! Bugs!!! Yuk

Take care

lesleya
19-10-07, 19:41
'Wipe that smile off your face':wacko:

Oh yeah.....how??:winks:

lesleya
19-10-07, 19:54
IF IF'S AND AN'S WERE POT'S AND PAN'S THERE'D BE NO NEED FOR TINKERS
:shrug: :shrug:

lesleya
19-10-07, 19:55
I'LL KNOCK YOU INTO NEXT WEEK ??

:shrug: :shrug:

lesleya
19-10-07, 19:58
WELL....I'LL BE A MONKEY'S UNCLE......why would you want to be a monkeys uncle ?

lesleya
19-10-07, 19:59
Do you think i came down in the last shower:D

happyone
19-10-07, 20:44
flogging a dead 'orse................who would want to?

I know the origins of a couple of these but they are racist (comes frm working for the council....get fired if you use them!!!)

happyone
xxx

groovygranny
19-10-07, 20:55
The Long and the Short of it....

the long and the short of it
something that you say when you intend to tell someone something in the quickest and simplest way possible. "Anyway, the long and the short of it is that he's not going to be working for us any more."

IdiI()Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms (http://www.cambridge.org/elt/elt_projectpage.asp?id=2501153) © Cambridge University Press 1998

the long and the short of it
the truth of the matter. 'The long and the short of it is that physical activity is extremely good for your health!'

IdiA()Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms (http://www.cambridge.org/elt/elt_projectpage.asp?id=2500256) © Cambridge University Press 2003

Is it me?
Or by the time you've said " The long and the short of it is.." you might as well have said what you were going to say anyway.... and save time lol !!:p

Pink Princess
19-10-07, 22:02
A bird in the hand is worth two in a bush
Winners never quit and quitters never win
Liar, Liar pants on fire
Fair and square

i also remember that "touch wood" was from the olden days something to do with when the boats capsized they would hold onto the wood in the water and it meant luck for them to live.

"back to square one" came fromthe old game of snakes and ladders :)

hehe i love this thread :) xxxxxxx

Granny Primark
19-10-07, 22:08
Like a dog with 2 willys:D

Sick as a parrott.

Youl never get the right side of bacon. (thats one me dad would say to me if i was naughty. The right side being the back bacon)

2 sandwiches short of a picnic

If you had a brain youd be dangerous

heres one me hubby always says:

Just remember a bird in the hand means s..t on the wrist

Take care
LYNN xx

Pink Princess
19-10-07, 22:18
saved by the bell, for when people get bruied but they arent dead so they used the rope thing with the bell on it :shrug:

to give someone the cold shoulder - thats from when guests visited for too long and the people who they were visiting would give them the bad part of the animal but not warm so they got the saying cold shoulder.

i dont know if this was true or not but when people say a frog in your throat poeple actually used to put frogs in their mouths cos apparently it stopped their cough :wacko::shrug::shrug:

mind your own beeswax, woman used to use beeswax for small pox but it wasnt right to mention to toeher women if they needed to use it or not

getting out of the wrong side of bed means you are not meant to put your left leg down first

golf means gentlemen only women forbidden :lac:

Granny Primark
19-10-07, 22:59
when people ask me how I am I answer:

If i was any better I couldnt stand it. Thats an old saying but im baffled where its come from.

Wheres the saying "Im knackered" come from?

Heres another few sayings

Two wrongs dont make a right.
Wheres that one come from?

Better the devil you know than the devil you dont.

In stoke on trent we call people duck. Its a term of endearment, but ive always wondered why.

This thread has had me and my family and friends launghing and baffled why we say the things we do.

Take care
LYNN xx