PDA

View Full Version : Worried I may have the corona virus

Hypo27
14-03-20, 21:11
Today I’ve developed an itching type dry cough off and on. I’ve also been developing fatigue and just feeling Ill. I don’t have a fever yet but so worried I have it or will get it. I’ve already got issues with chiari malformation and elevated blood pressure so I’m more at risk
of developing severe symptoms.

nomorepanic
14-03-20, 21:13
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

yesmorepanic
15-03-20, 00:34
Coughs are common in late winter/early spring.

With COVID-19, the fever often precedes the cough. You might also be feeling unwell through anxiety (I know I am).

However, if your condition worsens call your doctor or emergency services at once. Try to self-isolate for the next week or so, only going out for critical things like shopping. I'm not saying it is corona but it's better to be safe than sorry.

glassgirlw
15-03-20, 00:43
Today I’ve developed an itching type dry cough off and on. I’ve also been developing fatigue and just feeling Ill. I don’t have a fever yet but so worried I have it or will get it. I’ve already got issues with chiari malformation and elevated blood pressure so I’m more at risk

if it makes you feel any better, I had the same dry itchy cough off and on yesterday. No fever though. Took NyQuil before bed last night and today that cough is mostly gone. It’s hard to say for certain of course but this is still cold and flu season too - and with ever changing weather patterns sometimes we’ll just develop a cough or runny nose that has nothing to do with corona.

Lencoboy
15-03-20, 10:03

With COVID-19, the fever often precedes the cough. You might also be feeling unwell through anxiety (I know I am).

However, if your condition worsens call your doctor or emergency services at once. Try to self-isolate for the next week or so, only going out for critical things like shopping. I'm not saying it is corona but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Very wise words, yesmorepanic!!

I think that's where a lot of the confusion concerning CV has stemmed from. I'm sure once the weather starts to pick up from around next month onwards and the usual ailments that are typical of this time of year gradually start to peter out, coupled with increased understanding of the virus in due course, things will hopefully start to become much clearer and the situation better defined.

I'm sure whatever restrictive measures the govt impose from now onwards will no doubt anger and inconvenience many of us in the short term, but in the meantime, like it or not, they are only trying to act in the best of interests of everyone, which should hopefully be of benefit to us all in the long run. Let's just keep looking forward to the time at least when we are all over the worst, and ultimately, when the pandemic is officially declared over!

I am also sure that the blatant sensationalism the papers are spewing out on a daily basis re the virus will eventually exhaust itself (fingers crossed).

Hypo27
15-03-20, 13:55
What’s even more frightening is they are saying eerulme
is almost guaranteed to get it. It’s supposed to affect over 2/3 of the population in the next couple months.

Carys
15-03-20, 14:10
What is
eerulme ?

Hypo27
15-03-20, 14:25
Everyone

Pkstracy
15-03-20, 15:26
The media loves to spread fear

Carys
15-03-20, 15:28
NO everyone isn't going to get it.

Phoenixess
15-03-20, 18:35
Lots of people having chest X-rays here to diagnose CV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carys
15-03-20, 18:44
Maybe, for the time being Hypo, it will put you off the regular ER visits ? Im not being facetious with this remark - but reminding you that according to another US commentator, the ER's are busy with people with suspected CV and you should not only avoid them in terms of infection to yourself, but let people who are ill get the treatment they need.

MyNameIsTerry
15-03-20, 20:16
Maybe, for the time being Hypo, it will put you off the regular ER visits ? Im not being facetious with this remark - but reminding you that according to another US commentator, the ER's are busy with people with suspected CV and you should not only avoid them in terms of infection to yourself, but let people who are ill get the treatment they need.

And if you think you have it don't rush to the ER, think of others first.

Deltazv1
16-03-20, 06:42
I also woke up with a tickle in my throat today and it makes me cough. There has been 0 cases of Covid 19 in my city. I already checked my temperature had no fever it was 98.6F (37 celsius). I think it might be all this news getting into my head.

Lencoboy
16-03-20, 11:25
I also woke up with a tickle in my throat today and it makes me cough. There has been 0 cases of Covid 19 in my city. I already checked my temperature had no fever it was 98.6F (37 celsius). I think it might be all this news getting into my head.

Yes it's most certainly overkill within the news ATM (no pun intended).

julia241977
16-03-20, 23:04

Is this true that the fever usually comes before the cough? Because I have a bit of a cough too and a scratchy throat, but no fever (also no shortness of breath, muscle pains, etc.). It's probably allergies/postnasal drip, but I can't stop worrying about it.

Lencoboy
17-03-20, 09:50
Is this true that the fever usually comes before the cough? Because I have a bit of a cough too and a scratchy throat, but no fever (also no shortness of breath, muscle pains, etc.). It's probably allergies/postnasal drip, but I can't stop worrying about it.

I have had those symptoms on and off for the past fortnight or so, but still generally feel as fit as a fiddle (so far so good!). I have also been walking our dog twice daily which probably helps, even in 'normal' times.

Carys
17-03-20, 10:35
Lencoboy - they say that the nation's dogs are the winners in our current situation lol Lots of places are also seeing increases in wilder animals moving in, rabbits, geese, deer and so on, thats something nice anyway and shows what humans have 'taken' in the past.

BlueIris
17-03-20, 11:37
Yep, I've also got the vague cough and scratchy throat. Suspect it's 1) the tail end of a string of colds I've had, 2) me being stupidly suggestible or 3) both.

Hypo27
17-03-20, 21:50
I’m really getting worried since this morning I’ve developed chills and body aches. I haven’t developed a fever or cough yet but I’m having off and on chest heaviness... I’m feeling really bad too like somethings just off.

whispershadow
17-03-20, 22:11
have you phoned the doctor for advice? is there a american version of 111 for people who think they have corona to phone?

Hypo27
17-03-20, 22:25
I text my doctor hours ago and no response not sure what to do :(

Hypo27
17-03-20, 23:04
Well my doctor just called me and he told me right now just to take Tylenol for the chills and body aches. Also to keep an eye on my temperature and if I develop a fever to call and let him. He said that there were quite a few people with worse symptoms like cough fever etc coming up with negative results to the Coronavirus so that’s good news I guess. I’m honestly still really worried I just don’t feel myself..

Hypo27
17-03-20, 23:05
He also said not to go to the er unless symptoms are severe and he said he didn’t think it sounded like the Coronavirus I just don’t know. Most doctors are still kinda clueless to this virus..

Hypo27
18-03-20, 00:05
You guys think it sounds like Coronavirus?

glassgirlw
18-03-20, 00:49
I think you need to listen to what your doc has told you and not ask opinions of people on here.

Hypo27
18-03-20, 01:12
The joint pains are getting worse and I’m developing breathing issues this really may be it I really may need to go.

glassgirlw
18-03-20, 01:19
I have yet to hear that joint pain is a symptom of CV. Have you actually taken your temp?

Hypo27
18-03-20, 01:23
I have yet to hear that joint pain is a symptom of CV. Have you actually taken your temp?

Yea it’s been normal so far. If you look at patient stories most start out with joint pains, headache, runny nose. Then they start developing fevers, dry coughing etc. Really though I’ve heard multiple
patients complaint of nausea and vomiting also so really this virus is so unpredictable..

glassgirlw
18-03-20, 01:39
Sounds like you need to stop reading “stories” as you know in the past you’ve developed symptoms after reading about them. That being said, you’re the only one that knows if you truly can’t breathe. If that’s the case, get the help you need. Otherwise, please please don’t go take up valuable space in the ER because you’re panicking.

Hypo27
18-03-20, 19:09
Now they are saying it’s affecting younger people without pre existing health conditions. Also young people are being left with permanent breathing issues and complications form the virus this is getting really scary.

Elen
18-03-20, 19:12
It is scary. The advice in the UK if you think you infected is to self isolate for 7 days and only contact the health services if you continue to deteriote.

Sorry Hyo you will have to sit this one out and see what happens.

If you are fit to post on here there is nothing that they can do for you at this stage.

Hypo27
18-03-20, 19:25
My breathing is continuing to get worse so I really might need to go to the er.

BlueIris
18-03-20, 19:28
Admit it, you really want to.

glassgirlw
18-03-20, 19:31

Are you just sitting reading different stories over and over again? If so, I’m sure your breathing is getting worse. That’s called panic.

KK77
18-03-20, 19:39
Are you just sitting reading different stories over and over again? If so, I’m sure your breathing is getting worse. That’s called panic.

That appears to be the story of his life. Any vague niggle becomes reason to seek emergency care :lac:

glassgirlw
18-03-20, 19:50
That appears to be the story of his life. Any vague niggle becomes reason to seek emergency care :lac:

and here I am avoiding all doctors offices and ER’s like the plague. I have no desire to go in and be exposed to god knows what. Not to mention the doctors and nurses are working overtime to get the genuinely ill people the care they desperately need. If there was ever a time to NOT be selfish, this is it - and unfortunately I know as a fellow HA’er that selfishness is a trait we tend to have.

battle back hypo. Stop reading the stories. I’d be willing to bet that you know more than you really ever needed to know about CV at this point. Move on to a distraction. Bet your breathing improves.

MyNameIsTerry
18-03-20, 20:44

I've dealt with breathing issues since childhood with having asthma. I've had many colds that have turned into infections that meant antibiotics and even steroids were needed. I've also been admitted for pneumonia via ambulance.

I always knew my breathing needed help because it's not like anxiety or panic and there is a very obvious problem trying to breath (worsening wheezing and tightness as well as increased mucus, for instance). In the case of the pneumonia I woke in a lot of pain and couldn't sit up. It felt like my ribs were broken.

That's the difference between needing a GP or an ambulance in my own experience. I certainly wouldn't be asking for advice on a forum.

If you're breathing was worsening to the point of needing an ER there would be no doubt.

Lencoboy
18-03-20, 21:04
Now they are saying it’s affecting younger people without pre existing health conditions. Also young people are being left with permanent breathing issues and complications form the virus this is getting really scary.

Did you read this info from an official/fully legit source or from some dubious source? If the latter, it could very well be fake news deliberately intended to scaremonger.

AntsyVee
18-03-20, 22:45
You always have breathing issues when you’re anxious, B.

WiseMonkey
19-03-20, 01:32

All of your other magical illnesses have suddenly faded into oblivion, but you are getting plenty of attention with your latest one :ohmy:

Hypo27
30-03-20, 19:20
Since yesterday I haven’t been feeling great. I laid around all day yesterday didn’t do anything. Today I’m kinda achy and my skin even feels achy and burning like. My sense of smell and taste are dulled a lot too. I also keep feeling like I’m burning up then feel like I’m freezing. So scared I have this and I’m gonna die..

BlueIris
30-03-20, 19:28
You don't and you won't. Next!

glassgirlw
30-03-20, 19:29
Have you taken your temp, Hypo? It’s also important to remember that a very small percentage of the population ends up needing additional care for Covid. Some 90% of people are able to recover on their own. I’m not saying you do have it but try to not look at the worst case scenario.

High levels of stress can also cause the things you’re experiencing. So if you don’t have a temperature, you may just be run down and need some rest.

Hypo27
30-03-20, 19:35
Have you taken your temp, Hypo? It’s also important to remember that a very small percentage of the population ends up needing additional care for Covid. Some 90% of people are able to recover on their own. I’m not saying you do have it but try to not look at the worst case scenario.

High levels of stress can also cause the things you’re experiencing. So if you don’t have a temperature, you may just be run down and need some rest.

No I don’t have a temperature just not feeling good at all..

Hypo27
30-03-20, 19:35
You don't and you won't. Next!

I truly hope your right blue how are you holding up in the chaos?

Hypo27
30-03-20, 19:58
Everyday this is like a living nightmare wandering if me or one of my family members will get it.. Now I’ve got a bad headache which is another symptom..

Carys
30-03-20, 19:59
You thought you had it in the middle of the month.....incidentally, there was no fever you had last time either.

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?236041-Worried-I-may-have-the-corona-virus

Are you and your family isolating ? (Which includes visiting ERs and PCP surgeries !)

BlueIris
30-03-20, 20:01
Thanks for asking, Hypo, it means a lot. Things are okay here; I'm working from home but my workload is insane.

I know it's tough, but please try not to worry about this?

Charlie1108
30-03-20, 20:24
I'm sorry you're feeling like this. I'm pretty sure I have it too. Hot to the touch, generally feel like crap and a headache. Both my children were unwell last week and developed coughs plus my son was exposed to it. I also feel this is going to kill me. My anxiety is sky high

Hypo27
30-03-20, 20:30
Thanks for asking, Hypo, it means a lot. Things are okay here; I'm working from home but my workload is insane.

I know it's tough, but please try not to worry about this?

Im definitely trying my best that’s for sure. We’re still considered an essential business so I’m out in this mess all the time. Can we just go back to worrying about esophagus or colon cancer already? Lol just joking but I definitely am ready for this to pass.

Hypo27
30-03-20, 20:33
I'm sorry you're feeling like this. I'm pretty sure I have it too. Hot to the touch, generally feel like crap and a headache. Both my children were unwell last week and developed coughs plus my son was exposed to it. I also feel this is going to kill me. My anxiety is sky high

Hang in there it sounds like it’s mild if it is it. Kids seem to be only getting it very mild for the most part.

pulisa
30-03-20, 20:33
Im definitely trying my best that’s for sure. We’re still considered an essential business so I’m out in this mess all the time. Can we just go back to worrying about esophagus or colon cancer already? Lol just joking but I definitely am ready for this to pass.

So does this mean you accept that you have HA, Hypo? Has it taken a pandemic for you to be nostalgic for what you usually worry about?

Hypo27
30-03-20, 20:34
You thought you had it in the middle of the month.....incidentally, there was no fever you had last time either.

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?236041-Worried-I-may-have-the-corona-virus

Are you and your family isolating ? (Which includes visiting ERs and PCP surgeries !) Yes pretty much I haven’t seen a doctor at all in months. My fiancé went to her doctor last week for sore throat and coughing which he said was probably a cold she never had any fever.

Hypo27
30-03-20, 20:36
So does this mean you accept that you have HA, Hypo? Has it taken a pandemic for you to be nostalgic for what you usually worry about?

Oh I know I have HA no doubt about it. It definitely has made me realize a lot and how ungrateful I’ve been..

pulisa
30-03-20, 20:44
Oh I know I have HA no doubt about it. It definitely has made me realize a lot and how ungrateful I’ve been..

It's taken a pandemic but.......It's a defining moment in your NMP "career", Hypo!

Carys
30-03-20, 20:45
It certainly is.

Hypo27
30-03-20, 20:53
I truly hope everyone here is holding up during all this. You are all in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Carys
30-03-20, 20:58
Thanks Hypo. Doing ok here, but will come out a stone heavier from the amount of baking and lack of exercise. ;o)

BlueIris
30-03-20, 21:17
No, it does my heart good to hear you able to joke about this stuff :) I've been fighting hard against my own self-checking and HA, but it's tough when the world's gone mad.

Hypo27
01-04-20, 22:18
Today I’ve had a dry cough way more than usual and now I’m really starting to panic.. Can you have this virus with dry cough but no fever? A lot of the stories I’ve read most people had the flu like symptoms first like fever body aches etc.

glassgirlw
01-04-20, 22:26
Today I’ve had a dry cough way more than usual and now I’m really starting to panic.. Can you have this virus with dry cough but no fever? A lot of the stories I’ve read most people had the flu like symptoms first like fever body aches etc.

honestly I’ve had the same issues today. Feel like I need to clear my throat a lot and my nose is constantly drippy. But, my eyes keep itching too so I keep thinking it’s probably allergies. I take my temp once a day since I’m an “essential” worker and it’s always normal - so who knows really :shrug:

Hypo27
01-04-20, 22:28
honestly I’ve had the same issues today. Feel like I need to clear my throat a lot and my nose is constantly drippy. But, my eyes keep itching too so I keep thinking it’s probably allergies. I take my temp once a day since I’m an “essential” worker and it’s always normal - so who knows really :shrug:

What worries me is I don’t have any runny nose or itchy eyes so it can’t be allergies in my instance..

glassgirlw
01-04-20, 22:31
Here’s the thing though. If you, or I for that matter, end up catching this thing - we have a 98% chance of being just fine. And like a 85-90% chance of it not even being that serious. Those are pretty good odds really. Try to focus on the positive and not the negative. I know it’s super hard because the same thoughts go thru my mind too. But - we have to keep battling the negative thoughts back.

Hypo27
01-04-20, 22:42
Here’s the thing though. If you, or I for that matter, end up catching this thing - we have a 98% chance of being just fine. And like a 85-90% chance of it not even being that serious. Those are pretty good odds really. Try to focus on the positive and not the negative. I know it’s super hard because the same thoughts go thru my mind too. But - we have to keep battling the negative thoughts back.

Aren’t they saying that 80% have mild issues and 15% have moderate to severe issues? 15% is a lot and I’m scared I’m on that 15%.

Midnight-mouse
01-04-20, 22:49
What worries me is I don’t have any runny nose or itchy eyes so it can’t be allergies in my instance..

I don’t have either of those things at the moment either but I do have a sore throat a cough and headaches that are 100% allergies as they can’t be anything else.
Hope your cough sorts it’s self out soon Hypo.

glassgirlw
01-04-20, 22:56
Aren’t they saying that 80% have mild issues and 15% have moderate to severe issues? 15% is a lot and I’m scared I’m on that 15%.

I think it somewhat depends where you live but the briefing I watched yesterday said the critical numbers were trending a little lower than expected. Regardless, 15% is still low. How bout focusing on the 85% instead!

Hypo27
01-04-20, 23:06
I don’t have either of those things at the moment either but I do have a sore throat a cough and headaches that are 100% allergies as they can’t be anything else.
Hope your cough sorts it’s self out soon Hypo.

Thank you mouse I hope your allergies get better as well.

Hypo27
01-04-20, 23:07
I think it somewhat depends where you live but the briefing I watched yesterday said the critical numbers were trending a little lower than expected. Regardless, 15% is still low. How bout focusing on the 85% instead!

Easier said then done I just have the worst of luck I could easily see me being in the 15 percent..

glassgirlw
01-04-20, 23:17
I understand hypo. Believe it or not many of us here are in the same boat. We automatically look at the negatives before the positives. Just keep repeating the positive until you believe it. That’s what I’m trying to do.

KK77
01-04-20, 23:21
Easier said then done I just have the worst of luck I could easily see me being in the 15 percent..

Don't make this all about you again, Hypo. We're all in this together and there are far more vulnerable people than you.

We're already isolated physically so don't isolate yourself mentally too. Have a sense of solidarity, hard as it may be right now.

Hypo27
01-04-20, 23:44
Don't make this all about you again, Hypo. We're all in this together and there are far more vulnerable people than you.

We're already isolated physically so don't isolate yourself mentally too. Have a sense of solidarity, hard as it may be right now.

Thank you kk and your right we are all in this together and I’m not thing to make this all about me. I just hope and pray I don’t have it. I pray no one else on this board has it.

Hypo27
01-04-20, 23:49
I just checked my oxygen level with o2 meter and it was 99 just have this cough..

Hypo27
01-04-20, 23:50
So scared it will turn into pneumonia and me not be able to breathe and need a ventilator..

nomorepanic
02-04-20, 00:00
Please don't be so dramatic Hypo.

What has happened with all the other cancers now then?

Hypo27
02-04-20, 00:15

That’s kind of irrelevant right now don’t you think? Even if I do have some kind of cancer it won’t kill me in a matter of hours or days. This virus kills quickly and my cough is just getting worse. I’m going to have to go to er if it gets worse.

nomorepanic
02-04-20, 00:17
Sorry but it is not totally irrelevant when you were posting constantly saying you were about to drop dead. Suddenly you have not got cancer but Covid - sorry but that is total rubbish.

You CANNOT go to the ER - do you not watch the news. You are being totally selfish again.

Fishmanpa
02-04-20, 00:18

That’s kind of irrelevant right now don’t you think?

Its actually a great question. Your reaction and posts show the same amount of panic so... :shrug:

Positive thoughts

glassgirlw
02-04-20, 00:24
You absolutely cannot just show up at the ER. Across the whole country now there are protocols you have to follow. This unfortunately isn’t just about you, but the many other people that could be very susceptible to this virus.

If you truly think you need to be seen right now then you need to call your local ER and discuss with them first. They’ll tell you what to do.

nomorepanic
02-04-20, 00:31
You have had "this" since 14th March so have you been totally self-isolating?

venusbluejeans
02-04-20, 00:32
https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Hypo27 https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1939468#post1939468)

I have just merged a thread of yours which started on the 14th of march, that you were worried you had covid-19...... that is now getting on towards 3 weeks ago. two things - this virus does not last 3 weeks and also after having covid-19 for 3 weeks I am sure you would have noticed by now if you were in the 15% you keep on going on about.

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

AntsyVee
02-04-20, 00:33
He always has breathing problems when he's anxious...or perceived breathing problems anyway. They aren't problems if his oxygen level is that high.

I can't believe your gf lets you have an O2 meter, B. Remember back when you thought you had ALS, it was some lung onset there, too.

Gary A
02-04-20, 00:34
That’s kind of irrelevant right now don’t you think? Even if I do have some kind of cancer it won’t kill me in a matter of hours or days. This virus kills quickly and my cough is just getting worse. I’m going to have to go to er if it gets worse.

My partners friend, who is 5 months pregnant by the way, was diagnosed with Covid-19 earlier today. She was tested because her partner had shown some mild symptoms and she, of course, is pregnant.

She has no symptoms but is 100% confirmed as being infected with this virus. She’s taking it in her stride.

I understand you have an anxiety disorder but my point is most people are verging on panic disorders right now, it would be worth trying to remind yourself that you’re in a far less vulnerable position than a heck of a lot of people.

KK77
02-04-20, 00:37
Most people with normal immune systems are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms and are told to self-isolate. They recover in a couple of weeks. Why would you be any different? Is your immune system compromised by drugs or severe illness?

Just like your reasoning for having cancer was distorted by HA, your reasoning for contracting COVID-19 is also highly distorted and skewed.

Hypo27
02-04-20, 01:16
Every story I’ve read that had the cough developed severe issues that’s what really worries me.

glassgirlw
02-04-20, 01:22
You’re not thinking logically though. A cough is one of the most common symptoms of this virus. Yet only 5% of cases are considered critical. Using that logic and those stats, it’s just not possible for:

Every story I’ve read that had the cough developed severe issues

Murphy93
02-04-20, 02:48
Hi

I am also worried I have corona virus - here in the UK so unfortunately can’t get tested !

I’ve had symptoms for 19 days now , started with a fever shakes chills and a cough - all that’s left is the cough now which is still lingering Almost 3 weeks later .

It’s a deep painful dry cough and my chest feels so tight like someone is sitting on it but I am still able to function normally to a certain extent .

Such a worrying time and me being of course an absolute hypochondriac it really hasn’t helped at all !

I’m consistently worried about my chest but need to keep being positive and hope I can get over this soon . It may not even be corona but I am convinced obviously !

I just hope it doesn’t get any worse .

I hope everyone is taking care and staying safe through these horrible times,

MyNameIsTerry
02-04-20, 04:49
Hypo, you are catastrophizing, along with all the usual tunnel vision, and it's exactly the same as your other worries. That's why Nic asked you that question. The underlying issue, your anxiety, is in all of your health worries and until you address it you will be like this with everything.

You say you are afraid of having worse complications like pneumonia. I've had pneumonia on top of asthma and it wasn't a death sentence or something to be in intensive care for. The oxygen was great and so was the nebulizer treatment. But I wasn't like someone in a hospital drama on TV. Neither was my elderly mother when she had pneumonia on top of COPD.

Lolalee1
02-04-20, 05:25
I have a cold and am not allowed to leave my home,coughing like an old wino and feel like I swallowed razor blades.but not worried about the virus.5003

Lencoboy
02-04-20, 08:44
Hi

I am also worried I have corona virus - here in the UK so unfortunately can’t get tested !

I’ve had symptoms for 19 days now , started with a fever shakes chills and a cough - all that’s left is the cough now which is still lingering Almost 3 weeks later .

It’s a deep painful dry cough and my chest feels so tight like someone is sitting on it but I am still able to function normally to a certain extent .

Such a worrying time and me being of course an absolute hypochondriac it really hasn’t helped at all !

I’m consistently worried about my chest but need to keep being positive and hope I can get over this soon . It may not even be corona but I am convinced obviously !

I just hope it doesn’t get any worse .

I hope everyone is taking care and staying safe through these horrible times,

It's most certainly the 'fear of the unknown'.

And had the authorities in this country got their act together with the testing from the off instead of dithering things would probably have been much clearer by now.

Pamplemousse
02-04-20, 10:14
I've been unfortunate enough to have picked up a nasty throat bug throughout this whole pandemic ordeal. Honestly? Deep down? I don't think it's Covid19.
But it is a nasty throat bug that keeps making my throat feel very tight, almost like the airway in my throat is closing up.

Trying to be rational here, I think the reason for the tight throat feeling is because the glands in my neck are a little swollen.

Well, that's two of us then, because I've been having exactly that on and off for at least the last fortnight although it has now gone, it would seem. But with a temperature (under-tongue) of between 35.7°C and 36.8°C and no cough other than what the interminable post-nasal drip triggers I think it's safe to assume I don't have it.

Gary A
02-04-20, 10:26
Even the most sturdy, non-anxious people I know have begun worrying over the news lately, and wondering if they have the virus.
Those of us with Health Anxiety probably need to recognise we are particularly vulnerable during this time.

While that’s most certainly true, another way to look at it would be to be a source of advice for those around you who have never felt powerful anxiety with regards to their health.

You have been there, seen it, done it. Worn the T-shirt, so to speak. Most people are being confronted with a fear they’ve never known before, so as a sufferer of health anxiety you can be the source of some pretty good advice.

You can advise on coping skills, staying away from Google, limiting news intake, diet, sleep advice and so on. Right now, in a warped kind of way, you could say people with anxiety disorders regarding their health have the advantage of experience and knowing how best to cope while the world around you freaks out.

Who knows, you might find that being the source of good advice and maybe even just being someone who can relate, you might just make yourself feel better at the same time.

Pamplemousse
02-04-20, 10:59
Maybe today can be a "news free" day.

I am doing that now. Whilst not wishing to bury my head in the sand, maybe it's best for my sanity if I do. Now the TV only goes on to watch a DVD or a non-news programme, the radio is now tuned to Radio 3 rather than Radio 4.

Hypo27
02-04-20, 13:56
I have just merged a thread of yours which started on the 14th of march, that you were worried you had covid-19...... that is now getting on towards 3 weeks ago. two things - this virus does not last 3 weeks and also after having covid-19 for 3 weeks I am sure you would have noticed by now if you were in the 15% you keep on going on about.

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

What if i just got the virus though? I’m on like day 2 or 3 of coughing so maybe I’m still early in the process? Today I still have the cough but still no fever. I’m also feeling really tired today.

BlueIris
02-04-20, 14:10
That could easily just be the worry; I've had a nervous cough for weeks.

nomorepanic
02-04-20, 14:14
You never answered my post about have you been self-isolating since 14th March?

nomorepanic
02-04-20, 14:14
and to be fair you say you feel tired every day so that is nothing new.

nomorepanic
02-04-20, 14:15

You posted this on 14 March so the cough is not new.

MyNameIsTerry
02-04-20, 14:18
What if i just got the virus though? I’m on like day 2 or 3 of coughing so maybe I’m still early in the process? Today I still have the cough but still no fever. I’m also feeling really tired today.

A bit like what if you had all those cancer and ALS tests but then you developed them the week after.

Hypo27
02-04-20, 14:31
That could easily just be the worry; I've had a nervous cough for weeks.

Yeah maybe but I’ve been having that tickle cough that a lot of covid patients said they had and I’m also having headaches like behind my eyes which I’ve heard that being a symptom of covid too.

pulisa
02-04-20, 14:39
You're obviously determined to have CV regardless of your symptoms. So why are you still posting on here?

glassgirlw
02-04-20, 14:49
Yeah maybe but I’ve been having that tickle cough that a lot of covid patients said they had and I’m also having headaches like behind my eyes which I’ve heard that being a symptom of covid too.

OK but I think a lot of us (at least I know I do) think “oh what if this is IT” every time I cough or sniffle. But the reality is, so what if it is?!? There’s nothing you can do about it except wait it out. Posting every new symptom isn’t going to change, or help, anything. What CAN change is what you choose to do to get a handle on the anxiety. You might find as soon as you get involved in something else, the symptoms disappear. Or the butterflies in your stomach reduce. Or your mood improves. It certainly can’t hurt to try!!

glassgirlw
02-04-20, 15:28
Yep AD my tickle cough I had yesterday is all but gone and now I’m just down to an itchy and occasionally drippy nose lol. Haven’t read any news other than this forum today. There’s something to be said for not letting yourself get lost in the stories and stats.

MyNameIsTerry
02-04-20, 15:33
OK but I think a lot of us (at least I know I do) think “oh what if this is IT” every time I cough or sniffle. But the reality is, so what if it is?!? There’s nothing you can do about it except wait it out. Posting every new symptom isn’t going to change, or help, anything. What CAN change is what you choose to do to get a handle on the anxiety. You might find as soon as you get involved in something else, the symptoms disappear. Or the butterflies in your stomach reduce. Or your mood improves. It certainly can’t hurt to try!!

Exactly.

On top of this the nature of how fear works and how intrusive thoughts will try to start a cycle up means you will hear something saying 'is this xyz'. It's the same process as if we suddenly get a thought pop up of 'do I need milk' when shopping in the supermarket (of course, right now you might be replying 'what milk, no one has any!' :winks:). The difference is one comes with no emotion and the other comes with 'AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH DEATH DEATH DEATH'.

This is why it is do important to retrain ourselves to react appropriately. It's there for rational reasons like the bear that is looking at us in the woods with a very hungry look on it's face. We just have it in overdrive attaching itself to unnecessary possibilities or triggers.

Now, like many you are going to say 'but Coronavirus is real so I should be panicking'. I don't believe this. I do believe that is just another anxiety 'hook' to get you into the cycle again. This outbreak is not justification for an anxiety disorder and how it operates. There are normal levels of worry and concern. In these heightened times more people without anxiety feel higher levels of this but that doesn't make it a disorder until it crosses the line. Remember, many people in this world live with crisis all the time and many of them are in our countries, not just the war zones and oppressed areas of the world.

In times of greater stress intrusive thoughts increase. Your resilience to them might also decrease. It is important to reduce the negative response to them. That might mean the CBT way in examining evidence to reframe a more balanced conclusion (for instance, Dan has done just that above for you. The conclusion will be what others have said about self isolation, sitting it out, reducing stress on the immune system, hospital treatment for more advanced cases, etc. The conclusion is not a death sentence) or a more acceptance or Mindfulness route of allowing thoughts to be observed without interaction or accepting them or even dismissing them as daft or pointless (give them a 'meh'), etc.

Stupefy333
04-04-20, 10:01
Sorry but it is not totally irrelevant when you were posting constantly saying you were about to drop dead. Suddenly you have not got cancer but Covid - sorry but that is total rubbish.

You CANNOT go to the ER - do you not watch the news. You are being totally selfish again.

Sorry no more panic but I think this is a little harsh. We are all here because we have anxiety to some degree and for those of us with health anxiety, saying things like this doesn’t help. Being called selfish doesn’t help! Do you not think that we know how selfish we sound? That’s where “hypochondria” comes from. The term used so loosely as a way to describe people apparently talking rubbish and who are deemed the most selfish people in the world.
Health anxiety doesn’t let you rationalise. It is a mental illness. And if you think you have cancer then that is a very real thought and you can have very real physical symptoms. when something else comes along it’s easy to overtake your previous fears but that doesn’t mean you still don’t have them. They have just been put into a list. From 1 being your most worrisome to in my case about 10.
This forum is supposed to be for support by other people who know what you are going through. If you went to a therapist they wouldn’t shout that you were only thinking about yourself and being selfish. (Not that we are therapists).
One of the hardest things about health anxiety is having no one understand. Your fears are very real and sometimes justified but sometimes not. Having your partner however shout that you are selfish and pathetic because there are people dying in the world does not help. We know this. We feel bad about this. It’s not intentional. It’s an illness that is destroying us mentally on a daily basis. If we had a choice we wouldn’t feel this way. We aren’t selfish as people. We are misunderstood!

Kirbear
04-04-20, 10:12
Sorry no more panic but I think this is a little harsh. We are all here because we have anxiety to some degree and for those of us with health anxiety, saying things like this doesn’t help. Being called selfish doesn’t help! Do you not think that we know how selfish we sound? That’s where “hypochondria” comes from. The term used so loosely as a way to describe people apparently talking rubbish and who are deemed the most selfish people in the world.
Health anxiety doesn’t let you rationalise. It is a mental illness. And if you think you have cancer then that is a very real thought and you can have very real physical symptoms. when something else comes along it’s easy to overtake your previous fears but that doesn’t mean you still don’t have them. They have just been put into a list. From 1 being your most worrisome to in my case about 10.
This forum is supposed to be for support by other people who know what you are going through. If you went to a therapist they wouldn’t shout that you were only thinking about yourself and being selfish. (Not that we are therapists).
One of the hardest things about health anxiety is having no one understand. Your fears are very real and sometimes justified but sometimes not. Having your partner however shout that you are selfish and pathetic because there are people dying in the world does not help. We know this. We feel bad about this. It’s not intentional. It’s an illness that is destroying us mentally on a daily basis. If we had a choice we wouldn’t feel this way. We aren’t selfish as people. We are misunderstood!

Perfectly worded!!!! x

Stupefy333
04-04-20, 10:43
This is how I feel every day. Coming onto a website for support and having people tell you that you are wrong or selfish is the complete opposite of what this site is intended for surely?!
There are many forms of anxiety as we know. Maybe the people writing these things have another form, maybe they have health anxiety but not as intensely. The point is we are all here for the same reason.
Even reading the footnote at the end of nomoepanic’s posts makes me feel uneasy. Maybe it’s helpful to some people. But as someone that has a constant fear of dying. Being told to basically embrace death doesn’t make me feel better at all. It just shows how this illness manifests itself in hundreds of ways and everyone is different. 😊

glassgirlw
04-04-20, 11:53
I’m going to speak up in Nic’s favor here, because if you are a newer member to NMP you probably don’t have any idea of the post histories of some of the “serial” posters. Some posters have had every phantom illness under the sun and post incessantly about them. No amount of reassurance given or rational responses help, and the posts continue. That’s what we’re dealing with here, but you’re only seeing one of a thousand posts that someone has made.

here’s my thoughts on HA. Yes, it’s an illness. Yes, the symptoms feel real. But is it a choice?? Absolutely it is a choice. We all have the power within us to work towards getting better. Do you want to suffer your whole life with this mental illness? Or do you want to learn how to better handle these irrational thought episodes? Some members on this site have vast firsthand knowledge of HA and how they were able to overcome it. They know it can be done. Isn’t it worth making the effort to try?

Hypo knows that most people here are only trying to help him see that his thoughts are irrational. And Nic has done a world of good for many, many people on this forum. Without her you wouldn’t have a place to post at all.

nomorepanic
04-04-20, 13:12
I think what I say has to be taken in the context of the poster and their past history on here.

Thanks glassgirlw for your comments as well.

nomorepanic
04-04-20, 13:13
Even reading the footnote at the end of nomoepanic’s posts makes me feel uneasy. Maybe it’s helpful to some people. But as someone that has a constant fear of dying. Being told to basically embrace death doesn’t make me feel better at all. It just shows how this illness manifests itself in hundreds of ways and everyone is different.

My quote is telling people to embrace life because you are a long time dead!

Carys
04-04-20, 13:16
In the context of the poster, their long and painful history of not listening to advice and asking for reassurance, one terminal illness after another for years and years and years.....I think nomorepanic gave a fine response.

Stupefy333
04-04-20, 13:36
Sorry I have to disagree. Whether the poster is a repetitive worrier who posts about anything and everything under the sun or not. Who cares?
That is the very definition of health anxiety. Also many other anxieties. People with OCD could wash their hands 50 times a day to cope with their issues. So even if someone with HA posts 50 times a day each time about something different so what!
Those issues are very real to them.
I only come on here when my anxiety is bad. I don’t visit when it’s in check as I don’t feel the need to.
This site is for support. No matter what your issues. And just because someone has EXTREME anxiety to the point where they may believe they have a different Illness everyday does not mean they should be subjected to your comments. Any of you!
That is the very flaw of a lot of these anxieties. They are unrealistic. But who says how many of those anxieties someone can have?!!! You can’t put a number on it.
I agree that you can help yourself by way of therapy or medication. But having these conditions in the first place is by no means a choice! Chemical imbalances and triggers from past life events cause them. And I don’t think anyone would openly choose to have these worries or feel this way from the onset. Unless you have severe health anxiety. No matter what other anxieties you have. You will not understand! And that’s what makes it harder for us!

Stupefy333
04-04-20, 13:45
If somebody has health anxiety and posts about two separate issues in the space of a month do they get called selfish? Do they get told to go away and stop talking rubbish?

But someone with the same illness may have it in a more severe form and therefore post about 10 different illnesses. And that deserves such responses does it?!

Also writing things similar to “you thought you had cancer so what happened to that?” I find extremely degrading. It almost comes across as if you are mocking!

This person may annoy you with their constant worries. But for those of you who have ocd. How many times do you wash your hands or use hundreds of baby wipes and annoy people by doing so?

Those of you with panic disorder...
How many times have you had an attack and wanted to call an ambulance or called an ambulance even because you think your having a heart attack and annoyed someone by doing so?

We may have different forms of it. But don’t forget we all have it and each form comes with it’s own problems. Don’t judge just out of annoyance!

BlueIris
04-04-20, 13:45
Plenty of people here suffer from severe health anxiety, including myself. I've done things I'm utterly ashamed of because of my HA.

However, I'm much better now. A forum is a community, though - a group of individuals who come together to offer mutual companionship and support.

I've never noticed Hypo post on anybody else's thread to try and help anybody else; indeed, his posts tend to refer exclusively to the conditions he thinks he has, rather than any anxiety disorder. Nothing anybody can do here helps at all.

As for Nic, I've always found her sig helpful and inspiring when I'm feeling low. There's a fine line between rampant anxiety and rampant self-pity, and as sufferers and community members we have a responsibility not to cross it.

Stupefy333
04-04-20, 13:58
If your HA is that bad it may be a bit hypocritical to be commenting on other people’s posts to reassure them and tell them they are fine you would think.

If you find that quote helpful then that’s your right. But myself personally don’t. It’s part of my health anxiety. Avoiding anything that says about death.

BlueIris
04-04-20, 13:59
You're saying I'm a hypocrite for having insight into my own anxiety disorder?

Stupefy333
04-04-20, 14:02
Not at all!
You said that the poster didn’t bother to reciprocate on other people’s posts. I’m just saying it would be hypocritical for them to do that if they are as you say posting all the time and not taking anyone’s advice.

pulisa
04-04-20, 14:02
People with health anxiety are not "misunderstood" on here...Challenging HA is not misunderstanding HA but not indulging HA behaviours when they are spiralling.

We all need to take responsibility for our mental health and that includes people with HA.

Stupefy333
04-04-20, 14:04
If your HA is that bad it may be a bit hypocritical to be commenting on other people’s posts to reassure them and tell them they are fine you would think.

If you find that quote helpful then that’s your right. But myself personally don’t. It’s part of my health anxiety. Avoiding anything that says about death.

“Your HA” as in everyone. I didn’t mean you!
I was referring to the poster we are talking about

Stupefy333
04-04-20, 14:07
People with health anxiety are not "misunderstood" on here...Challenging HA is not misunderstanding HA but not indulging HA behaviours when they are spiralling.

We all need to take responsibility for our mental health and that includes people with HA.

There’s a difference between not indulging behaviours of HA and mocking people that have it. Sorry but calling people selfish is not helpful!!!

You could just not answer. That would be better than trying to make someone feel worse about a problem they have that clearly overtakes their life.

Gary A
04-04-20, 14:08
If somebody has health anxiety and posts about two separate issues in the space of a month do they get called selfish? Do they get told to go away and stop talking rubbish?

But someone with the same illness may have it in a more severe form and therefore post about 10 different illnesses. And that deserves such responses does it?!

Also writing things similar to “you thought you had cancer so what happened to that?” I find extremely degrading. It almost comes across as if you are mocking!

This person may annoy you with their constant worries. But for those of you who have ocd. How many times do you wash your hands or use hundreds of baby wipes and annoy people by doing so?

Those of you with panic disorder...
How many times have you had an attack and wanted to call an ambulance or called an ambulance even because you think your having a heart attack and annoyed someone by doing so?

We may have different forms of it. But don’t forget we all have it and each form comes with it’s own problems. Don’t judge just out of annoyance!

It depends on what your definition of helping actually is. I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed an example of someone being treated “harshly” right off the bat. Hand holding and reassurance works for some, but in my opinion with people who just keep going around in circles the sympathetic approach actually becomes detrimental to them eventually.

In fact, you could say that this actually just tunes into their anxiety and becomes part of their cycle. There is nothing wrong with expecting someone to start challenging their negative thoughts. Pointing to examples of their warped thinking, to me, is far more productive than constantly pretending that their thought process is acceptable.

It’s been a source of constant confusion for me whilst participating on this forum. I’ve seen countless examples of people expressing the most outlandish fears and when it’s pointed out that their fear is utterly absurd, offence is taken. I mean, why would you want that fear to be seen as realistic? Don’t you want to be told that your fear is silly? Why would you want a terrifying thought to be given credibility? I just don’t get it.

I don’t ever feel that the person is being attacked, I see it as their illness being attacked. I see it as an appeal to their rational mind, a sort of kick in the right direction.

Granted, a lot of the time it looks insulting or degrading, but what you need to remember is that at the end of the day we are all human. We all have our limits, we all get frustrated and we all lose our temper from time to time.

It’s quite the talking point but it’s clearly one of the huge grey areas when dealing with mental illness. Trying to find the right balance is difficult.

pulisa
04-04-20, 14:09
There’s a difference between not indulging behaviours of HA and mocking people that have it. Sorry but calling people selfish is not helpful!!!

You could just not answer. That would be better than trying to make someone feel worse about a problem they have that clearly overtakes their life.

If they feel worse then presumably they would think twice about returning to the forum to post about their symptoms? That never seems to be the case though.

nomorepanic
04-04-20, 14:13
My comment about being selfish was aimed specifically at this moment in time when the hopsitals are treating seriously ill people that are dying of this virus. Hypo wanted to go to ER cos he feels unwell - that is what I was saying was selfsh. You don't just turn up at A&E at this time and expect to be treated.

Sorry but I think that is being selfish AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME

Hypo27
04-04-20, 14:24
I don’t take offense to any of you all postings at all. You’ve all helped me more than you know. My cough has gotten a little better but unfortunately the last few days I’ve been having upper right rib pain and it’s just getting worse. I had a phone appointment with a nurse practitioner yesterday and she said it sounded like gallbladder or my liver. I had a ultrasound in January that showed fatty liver but the NP said that wouldn’t really cause pain. I have been drinking around a six pack of beer a day for awhile now. I’m really scared I have liver cancer or something the pain is near constant now. I really might have to go to the er for the it’s been hurting real bad since yesterday. It’s like a constant dull/sharp ache that starts in my upper right rib and wraps to my right shoulder. I just hate that I have to be exposed to the covid-19 to get evaluated for this...

BlueIris
04-04-20, 14:26
Hypo, I really am sorry I said that stuff, for what it's worth. That's a worrying amount to be drinking, though.

Stupefy333
04-04-20, 14:27
Oh yes certainly that is wrong to go to the er. But I have seen this be said in other places on the forum too. Not just by you. With regard to other situations.

The other comments I think were uncalled for though. Whether you think it’s tough love or not mocking something which is very real to a person isn’t nice. If no amount of reassurance or kind words will help this person then maybe just don’t respond at all. There’s no point in posting if you never get responses.

They keep coming back because they do get responses. And they push and push until they get a satisfactory one. They ignore all the rest. Still going on about the symptoms and the worst of everything. I know how that feels. I’ve had people tell me stop thinking silly and I completely disregard what they say and respond with something like “but does it sound like cancer?”. All I am looking for is a NO. And if I don’t get it I will carry on.

It’s annoying and seems selfish but it’s just the way you’re mind works sometimes.

This is just an example of how I have been in the past.

Gary A
04-04-20, 14:28
You don’t have to go to the ER and you should really stop looking for reasons to. Drinking a 6 pack a day then wondering why you’ve got a bit of stomach discomfort is a bit like walking 10 miles a day and worrying why you’ve got sore legs.

Hypo27
04-04-20, 14:29
Hypo, I really am sorry I said that stuff, for what it's worth. That's a worrying amount to be drinking, though.

You don’t have to sorry! I always appreciate your advice. Yeah I know I’ve just been under a lot of stress..

Hypo27
04-04-20, 14:31
You don’t have to go to the ER and you should really stop looking for reasons to. Drinking a 6 pack a day then wondering why you’ve got a bit of stomach discomfort is a bit like walking 10 miles a day and worrying why you’ve got sore legs.

This is just really hurting I think this would be a legitimate reason to go.

Gary A
04-04-20, 14:35

But don’t you see you’re actually looking for an excuse to go rather than actually needing to? A bit of stomach discomfort in no way signifies a need to hit the ER. Try some antacids and slow down the drinking. Eat some good food and try to relax. If none of that works, THEN you may need further evaluation, but you’ve basically cut out about 6 middle men and went straight to thinking you need emergency treatment. That’s not right at the best of times, it’s even more wrong right now when ER departments are stretched beyond belief.

pulisa
04-04-20, 14:39
Oh yes certainly that is wrong to go to the er. But I have seen this be said in other places on the forum too. Not just by you. With regard to other situations.

The other comments I think were uncalled for though. Whether you think it’s tough love or not mocking something which is very real to a person isn’t nice. If no amount of reassurance or kind words will help this person then maybe just don’t respond at all. There’s no point in posting if you never get responses.

They keep coming back because they do get responses. And they push and push until they get a satisfactory one. They ignore all the rest. Still going on about the symptoms and the worst of everything. I know how that feels. I’ve had people tell me stop thinking silly and I completely disregard what they say and respond with something like “but does it sound like cancer?”. All I am looking for is a NO. And if I don’t get it I will carry on.

It’s annoying and seems selfish but it’s just the way you’re mind works sometimes.

This is just an example of how I have been in the past.

A "No" will never be enough though, will it?

Carys
04-04-20, 14:44
I think to go to ER you'd be foolish given the fact the health care system in your country is over-run with serious cases of CV, you will subject yourself to it. More importantly, now more than any of the other 300 unnecessary ER visits you have made is the time when you need to think about the fact people are in life or death situations - you will be taking time, staff and treatment away from (if I was the ER staff I'd look at the visits you'd made regularly over the last few years and send you packing!) . That would be selfish. I'm sure you are being told in the US, just as we are here, to stay away from hospitals unless you are in a really bad way. Like Pulisa, I doubt that it makes any difference us saying not to go to ER, its never made any difference before. Please don't moan on here though about having contracted CV and given it to your family after the visit.

Lencoboy
04-04-20, 14:47
The ER (or A & E, as we call it here in the UK) would be amongst the last places I would wish to be visiting right now, but only as an absolute last resort and in the worst-case scenario as if I had any mega-serious CV-related symptoms well beyond mild. Hospitals, even in 'normal' times give me the heebie-jeebies, so I try to avoid visiting them unless absolutely necessary.

I normally hate to be judgemental towards anyone on here, but it does come across to me as a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy on behalf of Hypo the OP (IMO).

Lencoboy
04-04-20, 15:13
My comment about being selfish was aimed specifically at this moment in time when the hopsitals are treating seriously ill people that are dying of this virus. Hypo wanted to go to ER cos he feels unwell - that is what I was saying was selfsh. You don't just turn up at A&E at this time and expect to be treated.

Sorry but I think that is being selfish AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME

I totally agree with you there.

Although I am not specifically referring to the OP nor naming any names here, there does seem to be certain individuals who seem to get a sense of excitement out of calling for an ambulance and being sirened away to A & E and spending a night in hospital, often for trivial or non-existent ailments (my nan who passed away some 15 years ago springs to mind), and inadvertently wasting the time of the NHS. I bet there are also certain individuals who deliberately act out in order to attract police intervention simply because they enjoy the excitement of mammoth confrontations, being arrested, sirened away in the back of a police car and thrown in a cell at the local nick for the night, often at the expense of 'genuine' criminals not being caught!!

MyNameIsTerry
04-04-20, 15:20

Why a hospital? Why not to your GP?

Can you see you are rushing to the worst (catastrophizing) and looking for the greatest most immediate reassurance?

At the moment you also have to prioritise other people, Hypo. I seem to recall you have a family. How would you feel if people were coming in for things they could see a GP about or get basic care from somewhere else if one of your family was in the ER?

Hypo27
04-04-20, 16:11
Why a hospital? Why not to your GP?

Can you see you are rushing to the worst (catastrophizing) and looking for the greatest most immediate reassurance?

At the moment you also have to prioritise other people, Hypo. I seem to recall you have a family. How would you feel if people were coming in for things they could see a GP about or get basic care from somewhere else if one of your family was in the ER?

The nurse practitioner referred me to a GI so I’ve gotta wait for them to call me with the appointment. This pain just keeps getting worse that’s what worries me.

Scass
04-04-20, 16:45
Hypo, get well soon.
Please.

Stupefy, yes we should all be kind. To that matter, I hope to see you posting a lot more kindness on the boards from now on.

Stupefy333
04-04-20, 17:28
Hypo, get well soon.
Please.

Stupefy, yes we should all be kind. To that matter, I hope to see you posting a lot more kindness on the boards from now on.

I don’t think I was being unkind in any of my comments was I?
In fact I was standing up against any unkindness that does go on.
Just because everyone is justifying the comments against hypo whether he is bothered or not, and I have a different opinion against what should and shouldn’t be said, does not mean I am being unkind. I haven’t said an unkind word against anyone x

BlueIris
04-04-20, 17:39
Stupefy, may I ask what you're doing to manage your own anxiety right now?

Scass
04-04-20, 18:45
Just because everyone is justifying the comments against hypo whether he is bothered or not, and I have a different opinion against what should and shouldn’t be said, does not mean I am being unkind. I haven’t said an unkind word against anyone x

No not at all, you are being kind and are commenting that we are not supportive enough sometimes.
There’s only a small amount of people that regularly put their time aside to answer posts on here, and there are a lot of posts. Another voice/opinion is always welcome.

nomorepanic
04-04-20, 19:02
I didn't think you were unkind. I wast just explaining my side of things that is all.

Fishmanpa
04-04-20, 19:03
When enabling and reassurance doesn't help nor does bluntness, what does that leave? :shrug: Some people are unable to or will never take the steps to treat the real illness. Sadly, its just the way it is and is the case based on the posters history.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
04-04-20, 21:37

It's an age old debate on here and it never gets resolved. Some people get frustrated, some are on a short fuse due to their own anxiety and some are just rude because they are like that in real life. Some just don't realise they are doing It, it's normal behaviour to them.

This is why rules matter. Rules prevent those that fancy taking their anger out on someone from having their fun. Anyone who tells me this doesn't happen on here has been lucky not to be on the end of some of it.

But negatives aside the vast majority aren't like that and if they are at times it's out of frustration or their own anxiety eating into their normal patience. It's always repetitive poster threads because people get frustrated that their efforts aren't getting somewhere or aren't listened to.

I learned ages ago to invest less emotion on here to protect my own wellbeing just as you have to in real life. Why keep moaning at the TV because something you don't like is on when you won't change the channel? Learn to walk away.

MyNameIsTerry
05-04-20, 04:40
The nurse practitioner referred me to a GI so I’ve gotta wait for them to call me with the appointment. This pain just keeps getting worse that’s what worries me.

Therefore you wait. They didn't think it was an emergency. If it has worsened you go back to them and see what they say.