PDA

View Full Version : Steroid cream over-use

Paul84
15-03-20, 13:40
Not been on here for a long time, but I've had a bout of Winter Blues and a heavy dose of Anxiety which I'm kind of getting through with the help of low-dose Sertraline and distraction.

However, I'm really worried that I've done some permanent damage to my face through using a steroid cream for dermatitis (Which I was prescribed years ago) as I have flare ups of seborrheic dermatitis and for me, it causes me to fall into a pit of despair. I am worried that I have overdone it with the cream as it became a habit to apply on the trouble areas regularly throughout last 3/4 months of last year.

I stopped using it totally about 8 weeks ago and My face looks better in general through better moisturising - in fact I've never looked better. However, I'm worried I've already done the damage and I'm going have to have major problems in the coming years (cracking, premature wrinkles and even the big C have been living in my mind for about 2 months).

My sister tried to re-assure me as both her and my brother have been using steroid creams for Psoriasis for about 20 years when required, but I feel like I've f****d up and have been applying it when its not required and I've ruined healthy skin.

On the suggestion of my niece, I went for a gents facial a couple of weeks ago and the lady said my skin "looked fab" and a GP said i had a bit of dryness around my nose but nothing major...

I realise this isn't the first issue I've had with my face which says something I guess and I strongly believe I have something close to body dysmorphia as I've been glued to mirrors for about 8 weeks... looking at every blemish and imperfection on my face.

Am I being over dramatic? Do I need to get on with my life? I'm a 35 year old male and I know this isn't a normal thought process.

Sorry for rambling.

Fishmanpa
15-03-20, 13:49
Am I being over dramatic? Do I need to get on with my life?

I'm afraid the answer is 'yes' to both inquiries as you recognize your skewed thought process.

Positive thoughts

Scass
15-03-20, 14:16
I mean you sound like you’re looking great at the moment. But sometimes we need to weigh up our priorities- if you need to use the cream then you need to use it.
Perhaps there is something else that could help in the long run.

Paul84
15-03-20, 16:43
I'm afraid the answer is 'yes' to both inquiries as you recognize your skewed thought process.

Positive thoughts

I mean you sound like you’re looking great at the moment. But sometimes we need to weigh up our priorities- if you need to use the cream then you need to use it.
Perhaps there is something else that could help in the long run.

Thank you both for your kind replies. Honestly, feel like I've lost full years to worrying about this kind of stuff. I will work on focus on other things like... I get married in 10 weeks :o

I have now found a non-steroid cream that may help that can be used daily so I will persist with that.

Fishmanpa
15-03-20, 17:53
Thank you both for your kind replies. Honestly, feel like I've lost full years to worrying about this kind of stuff. I will work on focus on other things like... I get married in 10 weeks :o

I have now found a non-steroid cream that may help that can be used daily so I will persist with that.

Congrats of the upcoming marriage! My wife has had some skin issues recently.... A small rash with bumps on her face. She talked to my daughter who sells Mary Kay products and bought several products aimed at facial skin care and within two weeks, everything cleared up. I started using a men's facial cream from my daughter and even my 61yo face looks much better :) I'm sure the OTC products will help.

Positive thoughts